Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil usage after EVERY service

Views : 2983

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2014, 13:55   #21
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowChauffeur View Post

AFTER EVERY SERVICE, the engine uses ALL its oil over the first 1000 miles. Then we TOP IT UP AGAIN to full. AFTER THAT the engine uses ZERO OIL for the next 14000 miles.
As a test, when you have your next service, provide the same oil to the garage for the oil change that you are using to top up with,instead of letting the garage use their own. If the oil you provide is then not used in the first 1000 miles then you will know it is the type of oil that is being used at the service that is at fault. If the same thing happens and all this oil is used in the first 1000 miles, then its going to be something else and the mystery deepens?

Also if your car is burning oil, would it not be the case that it would indeed go un noticed as the DPF would 'catch' the smoke?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 16:27   #22
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Quote:
The car has 179,000miles on it and has been doing this since around 59,000. It's getting a little frustrating.
You have had this problem since 59,000 miles and only now at 179,000 miles you're frustrated? I would have said this was a wind up but seems a tad strange to have an issue like that for such a long period and not have it looked into by a different garage, get a second opinion or even try different filters/oil.

There is no acceptable reason for oil to vanish so quickly, so I'm surprised this has been left for such a long period but be interesting to know who exactly does the service and if its a garage, are they happy that after each service the oil "Vanishes" after 500 miles? if so, I personally wouldn't be using them.

Last edited by blackrevolver; Dec 8th, 2014 at 16:29.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 17:49   #23
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you. It is using ALL it's oil, but only for the first 1000 miles. Then it's fine for another 15000 and uses/loses ZERO.

The oil filter is used for 15000 miles. That's a lot for a filter. Could be that when you install a new filter, the engine is so happy is breathing again, that it starts drinking oil. Joke aside, I would try replacing the filter an extra time in the middle of the oil change interval, to see what it does - that is the filter would be replaced every 7500 miles. I believe the oil doesn't need to be drained to have the filter replaced.

Also, I did not read all the posts, but for a 15000 miles oil change interval I would definitely make sure the garage is using a good synthetic oil (such as the 0W30 Castrol or Mobil 1 full synth)

Last edited by oragex; Dec 8th, 2014 at 17:52.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 20:01   #24
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I think the bloke is a spanner , or a dipstick, also known as a prat, the terms usually coinciding with someone who is an aspergers/mild autism sufferer who is also none too bright.
I strongly suspect that there is nothing wrong with his car at all, he just cant read the dipstick and keeps adding too much oil, until its overful, the excess of course burns off. But, as he is mentally locked into his train of thought, to him the engine is dry (but it didn't seize, so thats wrong) and therefore must drink variably as described. He will never know how much comes out, measuring it with milk bottles is too difficult, and its a fairly pointless exercise anyway as some oil will have burnt off, leaving him to reject the obvious diagnoses.

Come on, prove me wrong.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 20:12   #25
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
I think the bloke is a spanner , or a dipstick, also known as a prat, the terms usually coinciding with someone who is an aspergers/mild autism sufferer who is also none too bright.
What exactly are you trying to say with that slur you have just typed?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 20:15   #26
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Stroppy!
Quote:
I think I might have wasted my time posting this question as everyone is quick enough to through in suggestions without reading THE FULL story as to what the engine is doing. .
I think everyone has read the full story since it is a fascinating and baffling situation.
Spock would stroke his chin to this one.

Doublecheck the oil in the service is the oil you also use to top up.
Doublecheck the new oil filter isn't really a TARDIS.

At 6000 miles a month ... how often (timewise) do you get this beast serviced?
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 07:42   #27
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
The oil filter is used for 15000 miles. That's a lot for a filter. Could be that when you install a new filter, the engine is so happy is breathing again, that it starts drinking oil. Joke aside, I would try replacing the filter an extra time in the middle of the oil change interval, to see what it does - that is the filter would be replaced every 7500 miles. I believe the oil doesn't need to be drained to have the filter replaced.

Also, I did not read all the posts, but for a 15000 miles oil change interval I would definitely make sure the garage is using a good synthetic oil (such as the 0W30 Castrol or Mobil 1 full synth)
These D3 engines are on 12 month/18,000 mile oil changes. This is quite normal in Europe.
At 6,000 miles per month this particular car will see the inside of a workshop every 3 months. Four services/year. Ouch!

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 15:12   #28
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I DONT BELIEVE IT !!!

simple as that. I think the plonker cant read a dipstick.
His insistenence that he is right and everyone else is Napoleon illustrates mental deficiency.
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 18:00   #29
Austin160
Master Member

Default C70 S70 V70 - oil usage after every service.

An opinion I suppose!, but not really friendly, whatever. One would trust it is based on a professional qualification in such matters, or maybe past experience of similar symptoms.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 19:36   #30
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

No-one has ever heard of such symptoms. Add to that the fact that OP thinks ALL oil has gone despite engine running, not just at all but nicely, does suggest he has got it wrong.
Does one need to be a Doctor to diagnose a cold ?
Thats the last from me on this subject, no longer interested.