Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Offical IPod adapter on a 2005 V50

Views : 21997

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 16:28   #21
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Got the harness and extension - pics attached. Also ordered a Parrot off Ebay.

The harness has a number of connector blocks - hopefully be able to hook it up right. The extension (other pic) goes from the boot amp to the front for connection to the Parrot module/amp.

Not sure if I need to use the yellow 'mute' lead and not sure where this goes..

Any help greatly appreciated when you get yours fitted Tuesday Deadlyhifi
cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02479.JPG (305.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02480.JPG (294.1 KB, 58 views)
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 18:26   #22
Guru
Premier Member

Good luck to both of you.

I'll have my fingers tangled
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 20:02   #23
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Thanks Guru!

Will take some pics when I come round to doing it, prob next weekend.
Will be interesting to see what Deadlyhifi says Tuesday

Regards
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:45   #24
Nunfa1

Good luck Jonnie, some pics of how you get the cables from the amp to the fron of the car would be good.
Nunfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:40   #25
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Im thinking of either taking the 5m extension cable as its quite wide accross the roof lining which might be easiest or along trim at base of doors.
I think roof lining then down front door pillar may be the best - saves me trying to prise trim up and find space for it at the base of the door thresholds.
I think the tricky bit is working out where all the connectors go to amp and Parrot. there are some instuctions for the harness but no wire diagrams which doesnt help. I think its going to be trial and error, hopefully not much error though!
Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Hopefully Deadlyhifi might be able to adivse how the harness is wired up.

Regards

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Apr 26th, 2010 at 12:42.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 19:02   #26
Deadlyhifi

It's getting fitted tomorrow morning. I'm planning to be watching the whole thing so will try and get as much as I can from the installer. Can't promise to provide much as I'm not the greatest with electrics but I'll do my best!

I'll certainly reply back with sound quality etc...
Deadlyhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 13:09   #27
Deadlyhifi

Quick update:

Sorry for the vagueness here... but this is what I caught...

I cable as expected was run along the side of the car from the amp in the boot in to the front behind the floating console. The blue parrot box was fit in behind here. There was enough cable to reach for the cables for ipod etc to fit into the arm rest which was nice. Just needed to slip out a panel in there pull the cables up and cut a little notch in to the panel for the cables to site nicely. This panel can also be replaced in case you ever want a replacement if you sell the car on.

The whole centre console did not have to come out.. It can slide back and forth slightly which saves having to detach the aluminum facia. The chap also had to do something with some cables to do with making the parrot auto power off. Apparently it was taking quite long so he soldered some wire to something which made the device switch off about 5 seconds after the ignition went off. Not sure what this was so I apologise.

As for the positioning of the screen... I have that just above the CD player by the vents in the centre.

I have yet to decide where to put the remote...

Connectivity is good. Had a few small niggles but overall it is working well. The niggles I had were regarding connecting two phones at the same time. It does work but you have to add them all seperately first. Only one can be used for actual calls at any one time though. the others can be used for music.

Now the important bits.. sound. Firsst of all.. voice calling. Apparently the calls are very clear for someone rining me. they say they can tell I am in a car, but the sound of me is clear and the sound of their voice also is very clear. You can adjust the volume through the parrot.

Music is very good. For MP3's it sounds full, and is plenty of bass. You can change settings, for example to set it up for rock or dance music etc. I have it feeding music from SD and Ipod currently. And works nicely. I have set it to random too. Which was quite straight forward.

Regarding firmware, the chap said to leave it at version 1.4 I think.. If the latest is 1.5.. Something along those lines. I'm not by it at the moment to confirm. He also reccomended not to upgrade the firmware if it works already. If it ain't broke.. mentality...

Music over bluetooth was also quite good. not as full but still pretty reasonable... I'm pleased so far, but only used it for about ten mins.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try and figure it out.

Also.. the guy only brought with him two different cables. One was to run from the back of the car. and one was to go in to the cars head unit I believe. When the parot is in use it cuts out the cars stereo. Quite seemlessly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhifi For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 13:56   #28
Guru
Premier Member

Congratulations Deadlyhifi It's always nice to have a new toy.

Just one question: How's the LCD contrast level? can you see it clearly in sun?
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 14:07   #29
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Deadlyhifi, thanks and excellent update! do you have the Premium Sound system?

So the 5m extension runs from the harness/boot amp to the front of car (console) where the parrots amp is connected, is this right?
wonder why he soldered some wires? the harness comes with a blue 12v wire to connect to cig lighter which switches off when ignition is off.

I thought the harness connects to the amp in the boot and the 5m extension then leads to the front of console? woncer if he has taken the extension from the amp and then connected the harness at the cd/head unit instead - would this make a difference?

Thanks J

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Apr 27th, 2010 at 14:16.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 16:44   #30
Deadlyhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
Deadlyhifi, thanks and excellent update! do you have the Premium Sound system?

So the 5m extension runs from the harness/boot amp to the front of car (console) where the parrots amp is connected, is this right?
wonder why he soldered some wires? the harness comes with a blue 12v wire to connect to cig lighter which switches off when ignition is off.

I thought the harness connects to the amp in the boot and the 5m extension then leads to the front of console? woncer if he has taken the extension from the amp and then connected the harness at the cd/head unit instead - would this make a difference?

Thanks J
First of all. Contrast is good. I'm happy so far and it's been sunny today. You can dim it at night too. Just had a bit more time fiddling with it on way home and I'm really pleased.

I do have the premium sound system.

So the 5m extension runs from the harness/boot amp to the front of car (console) where the parrots amp is connected, is this right? YES

wonder why he soldered some wires? the harness comes with a blue 12v wire to connect to cig lighter which switches off when ignition is off. Can't comment really. Couldn't see that much. It wasn't that it wouldn't switch off. More that it took a few minutes because of the way the electrics in this car works I believe. He said some cars shut down electrics quicker than others. So whatever he did changed something somewhere. Sorry I can't be more clear.

I thought the harness connects to the amp in the boot and the 5m extension then leads to the front of console? woncer if he has taken the extension from the amp and then connected the harness at the cd/head unit instead - would this make a difference? - I'm sorry I don't know. ll I now is that he connected something in the boot to the amp, which then threaded through to the blue parrot amp that now lives behind the centre console somewhere :-)

He put it through the top of the car and along behind the impact curtains so that if they ever come out the wires won't get in the way.

Does that make any more sense or just confuse things more?