Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 47926

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 14:54   #311
Chris152

OK, weather cleared up for a minute, so we got some shots (attached). Am I right thinking the thinner one is a regular one (first pic), and was fitted in error; the fat old one is self-levelling and, judging by the completely decomposed rubber boot, in desperate need of replacement (second pic); and that the car has no rear anti-roll bar (third pic)?

So - we need to replace both shocks and because we're not fitting self-levelling shocks, we need to replace the springs too as the ones on there will be too soft? I think that's what I understand, just checking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0042.jpg (365.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0046.jpg (187.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0045.jpg (250.5 KB, 28 views)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:04   #312
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
OK, weather cleared up for a minute, so we got some shots (attached). Am I right thinking the thinner one is a regular one (first pic), and was fitted in error; the fat old one is self-levelling and, judging by the completely decomposed rubber boot, in desperate need of replacement (second pic); and that the car has no rear anti-roll bar (third pic)?

So - we need to replace both shocks and because we're not fitting self-levelling shocks, we need to replace the springs too as the ones on there will be too soft? I think that's what I understand, just checking!
Both of those are normal dampers Chris - i can see why they were misidentified - the larger one is reminscent of a Boge Nivomat (Nivo) aka self-leveling damper.

You're correct in thinking there isn't a rear ARB, if you can find one to retrofit it will improve the ride and handling but isn't essential. Until a couple of years back, my 760 didn't have a rear ARB either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:11   #313
Chris152

Hm, now I'm not sure what to do! Can we assume the springs are the correct ones for regular shock absorbers? If not, they seem to have been wrong a long while.
I've searched and searched but can't find info on what they would have had originally.
ps In case anyone might know the answer, it's a 1991 glt.

Last edited by Chris152; Jan 29th, 2021 at 15:27.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:34   #314
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Yes the larger damper (Blue) is a Boge S/L damper- I have a couple of these partly restored but probably wont use them:~

Usually used with the weaker springs I believe- the anti-roll bar is also redundant with the above and this may be a pointer as to the original specification etc.
This was the case for my friends '89 240 fitted with the self leveling rear.

Ant-roll bars are present on all other configurations (my '88 240 has it)

I would think that a normal damper has replaced the original S/L one & probably because they cost a kings ransom!

You should be able to pick up a anti-roll bar via the usual culprits (springs are available new) or used if that is the route you choose etc.
Good Luck
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:54   #315
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Hm, now I'm not sure what to do! Can we assume the springs are the correct ones for regular shock absorbers? If not, they seem to have been wrong a long while.
I've searched and searched but can't find info on what they would have had originally.
ps In case anyone might know the answer, it's a 1991 glt.
Thanks to Bob Meadows ^^^^^ it seems i was wrong although i did comment the larger of the two dampers was similar to a Nivo so you have got one of each.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml

You can use that link to decode your VIN Chris, that should tell you what sort of suspension it had on the rear originally.

Either way the springs appear to have been on for 30 years so i'd be tempted to fit a new rear pair, Lesjofors, Kilen and another brand i can't think of beginning with "S" i think are all the same (Lesjofors being the parent company) and are relatively cheap to buy but very good quality. Volvo used Lesjofors as OE spring suppliers so gives you a good idea!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:03   #316
Chris152

OK. So, if we replace both shocks with regular ones, we need to replace the springs to firmer ones and fit an anti-roll bar - the anti-roll bar isn't necessary with self levelling, but it is with regular shocks and springs?

Sorry if I'm being slow, I really appreciate your patience.

ps I notice on Brookhouse the springs they sell are suitable for all 240s except glt

Last edited by Chris152; Jan 29th, 2021 at 16:12.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:35   #317
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Yes:~ spot on Chris.
All very straight forward and not time consuming provided all the bolts/nuts are free etc; (usual preparation helps)
The anti-roll bar takes minutes as the lower shock absorber bolt forms part of fixings-just one other point if you go for used make sure the two trailing arm fixings come with it, as marked etc.
Regards Bob
------------------------------ ~ -------------------------
quote "I notice on Brookhouse the springs they sell are suitable for all 240s except glt"

Probably because the GLT was fitted with the S/L system as standard- that was the case with my friends car ???

Just spotted this-https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240-Anti-Roll-Bar-Front-Rear-Good-Used-Items/154267793626?hash=item23eb13b8da:g:ZUsAAOSwE5Bdb5R 3

Ashleaclassics-good company
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailing arms.jpg (120.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jan 29th, 2021 at 16:45.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:51   #318
Chris152

Thanks Bob. Looking a bit more expensive than the £80 I was hoping for!
Purely so I'm covering bases, does anyone sell self-levelling shocks for 240s, for overall cost comparison? I've searched but not found.

Ah - just seen your link. That'd keep cost down. Are they all the same shape/ fit? I'm looking at another ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...Condition=3000 ) and it looks a different shape? I'd hate to buy the wrong kind for our car.

Last edited by Chris152; Jan 29th, 2021 at 17:00.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 17:20   #319
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I would say that price is way off the scale Chris!
Some information exists on the forum regarding S/L shocks, I have posted details regarding the pair I have- I believe these are no longer available for our cars-even later models are a second mortgage!
------------------------------------ " ------------------------------------

The Ashley Classics looks right to me- although two are included F&R:~

They are from a 240 Estate-low mileage he says, we have had dealings with this company and they are always very helpful.
Why not make contact and ask for the rear only- he could probably also supply a descent set of rear springs that could be worth considering if costs needs to be trimmed.
Either way used parts can be an option- are you sure that the springs already on the car are not correct considering the mix match here - it may be worth checking dimensions & coils-Brookhouse may be able to supply these specification?
Regards Bob

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jan 29th, 2021 at 17:24.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 17:33   #320
Chris152

That's great, thanks Bob - I wrote and he confirmed they'll fit a GLT, and I've just written to ask if we could buy just the rear, and will ask about the springs just in case. But from what I can see, the springs have to have come off another glt, as the ones on Brookhouse aren't suitable for ours (tho elsewhere on their site it seems to suggest you can use their springs on a GLT with spacers). I've used them a few times, incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.