Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 41958

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 24th, 2011, 22:12   #331
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The owners manuals normally suggest you should hold the car on the handbrake in Drive at traffic lights, etc. Moving it in and out of Drive is supposed to put more wear on the box, and holding it on the footbrake is both anti-social (especially with LED brake lights, etc) and bad for your brakes (warped discs, much?).

Another factor to consider - I feel far less comfortable owning a high mileage auto than a manual. Only one automatic car with high(ish) mileage I've had contact with has been well behaved. Having said that, the widespread introduction of dual mass flywheels on more modern cars makes high mileage manuals more worrying, too.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:18   #332
johnjp
Master Member

I`ve been driving autos for years as I come from a modernized country!
I don`t think I`ve used the handbrake for - well forever!
The car`s handbook is a document which brings a compromise between reliability and road sense but still also contains some motoring myths.
My Celebration has done >373,000 on the original box with the only servicing being fluid changes.
I use the foot-brake when necessary though on uphill slopes the box tends to hold the car stationary, though I do hover over the foot-brake!
My car is a `97 and has the benefit of an extremely reliable auto box such as found on many modern motors, which with overdrive keeps the motorway cruising speed revs between 2500 and 2800 rpm.
I don`t really understand why peeps are so wedded to manuals, the fuel savings are marginal - in any case manual drivers tend to change up later than necessary which means poorer fuel economy.
An auto box is a much easier, relaxing, smooth, progressive drive.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:16   #333
henryb

I would prefer Auto.Manual is little boring for me.
henryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 17:56   #334
Daim
Brit in Germany

Hmm... Hard decision...

I like to change gear myself, when I am in a sporty mood but then again hate having to change my gears myself, when I'm in everyday traffic.

Additionally, manual uses less fuel than a normal torque converter automatic...

BUT I'd take automatic again (last car was auto). No manual box can be changed quicker than an automatic can do. And no manual clutch can applied with as much smoothness, as a modern automatic can. AND then the noise and driving style...

...you accelerate, the revs go down and the speed rises. Then the noise the engine makes whilst accelerating. That "I don't care if I'm reving, I'm not connected to your wheels" when in the torque converter...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 18:20   #335
damsel

Talking

prefer autos sooooooooooo smooth
damsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 20:24   #336
kebab10
Premier Member

Default Auto or manual

Have driven auto cars but never owned one. Just prefer the left hand doing stuff rather than just hanging there.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 08:36   #337
mrc1501
Master Member

My previous 2 V70s were autos (Classic SE and V70R) and I'm about to get rid of my 6 speed manual VW for another..........yep, V70 AUTO. Well XC70 really but still an auto. The VW has been doing my head in changing the gears....

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 09:43   #338
AndyPants
VOC Member

Man theres a lot of manual bashing going on in here lately! Anyone would think humans didn't have two legs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Just got my first auto, a 21 year old 760 and despite being an avid manual fan I suprisingly don't actually mind it that much so far although it does have its odd moment where its not quite sure which gear to be in, usually going up hills. Also sometimes it seems to like to go between pootling about and booting it which isn't always ideal even if it is entertaining. But man does this thing shift! especially for an auto

Still prefer manual though but I enjoy the experience.
Further to my post in Nov '10 I'm liking my auto a bit more now as its behaving better and it even did 34 mpg on a very long trip (315 miles) I was gob smacked... although that was after having a load of work done to the car. But quite impressive all the same

Part of the reason my fondness for autos has grown is the fact that recently I've got stuck in two stupid traffic jams which meant it took me 1 or 2 hours to get too and from work. And guess which car I was driving each time? Thats right... the manual C70 arggghhhh

Having said this trying to give my 760 a bit of an italian tune up is just about impossible. It doesn't like being left in '1' and with '2' you'd run out've road or get a big fine by the time it got the full beans... So yes for sporty driving my auto at least is pretty useless. Having said this it is nice to plant your foot and let the auto do the work, no having to watch the red-line like when giving the C70 the beans (bad enough having to watch the speedo!).

I think if I was to replace my C70 I'd buy another manual car. If I was selling my 760 I would strongly consider another auto, the biggest factor against it wouldn't be gearbox preference, but would be economy.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 14:22   #339
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
Have driven auto cars but never owned one. Just prefer the left hand doing stuff rather than just hanging there.
How about steering?
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 18:57   #340
Simon J
Premier Member

I'm a confirmed auto guy with fifteen years behind me of auto T5s. We had a V70 T5 auto for six years and now have a C70 T5 and a V50 T5, both auto, not to mention a Jeep Cherokee I have here in the Balkans, also auto. And my daughter has a Smart Roadie, also auto. Only way to go!

I recently hired a BMW M120 diesel with a six speed manual box - what a turd of a car! Utterly ghastly. Constantly rowing up and down through six gears by hand - no thanks. And it also had that awful 'economy' mode where it switches off the engine when you stop, say at a pedestrian crossing, and then when you press the clutch to engage first gear it starts. Yuk!

And if we don't need manual ignition advance and retard any more, or manual chokes, why do we need a manual gearbox. Ban 'em, I say!

Last edited by Simon J; Aug 6th, 2011 at 19:02.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote