Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 113170

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:30   #331
roadhog

Hi all, I might have mentioned this before but I contacted bba reman last week and was told they don't do the Volvo/Marelli ETM anymore due to software problems. Shame really as like you say, they would probably pick up a few customers from here. From the way the said it there doesn't seem to be any plans in place to sort their problem either, it was "we don't do them anymore................."
Realistically though, the cost of redesigning this thing would probably be so high that even if we all clubbed together it wouldn't be viable.
Perhaps a better option would be to steal some unsuspecting 850 owners engine and de-mod our cars?
roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:14   #332
savanaman

Default prices again

We had a couple of prices from volvo so far, I asked stockport volvo their price and was quoted £600.00.

Does anyone know which Volvo garage is the cheapest?
savanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:26   #333
Mr2volvos

I have just signed up as a newbie and have read the many threads on the ETM topic. My sympathies to you all! I remain confused however as to specifically which models are/may be at risk. The Watchdog website states:

All of the following models with petrol engines are affected: not just the 1999-2001 V70s and C70s, but the S60, S70, S80, XC70 and the model year 2002 V70 non-turbos and C70s. Also, all S60 and V70 Bi fuel models are affected. Not exactly an isolated problem then.

There have however been questions (unanswered) on some posts asking whether it is the mosel year or year of production that is key. Oli's comprehensive list also includes '03 models but doesn't mention turbo models.

I believe that I am experiencing some of the symptoms described (hesitation/lag and surging) when under hard acceleration. I have a 2002 (first registered in June) V70 2.4T SE.

With 95.5K on the clock, I am heading for an eye watering bill if taken to my local dealership (£750) but am unsure whether to raise the ETM issue (particularly as (according to watchdog)) turbo's are unaffected).

Given the lack of diagnostic expertise in identifying an ETM problem combined with the possibility of other causes of this problem, I am unsure whether to set this hare running.

Can anyone clarify whether my limmo is at risk? If not, then i'm off to my local indy garage. Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 13:34   #334
Oli
VOC Member

Hello Mr2Volvos and welcome to the forums.

Open your bonnet and look at the engine between the radiator and the engine. You may see a box attached with a white lable (Magneto Marelli) or yellow if it's already been replaced. If you can't spot it then have a look through the Vexed volvo website. There are pictures there to show you what to look for.

You're right that the lists don't all match up, but mine was alledgedly provided by Volvo to the US Highways Agency, so should be good. I think it will be based on model year too, which is worst case.

By the way, Turbo engines are most definately effected too.

However, the problem doesn't necessarily manifest itself under hard acceleration, that could be as simple as needing a new fuel filter. This will be replaced as part of a normal service.

Ring Volvo customer services, describe your problem and ask them to book you in at your local dealer for the software upgrade and associated cleaning activites, which are being offered on a complimentary basis. As you will have read, this is just a patch to make sure that in the event of an ETM problem, the car doesn't switch to safe home mode (max speed 40mph) while you're driving along, but when you next start. It also allows the software to better cope with the increasingly variable quality of feedback from the ETM.

I've had the software done, and did have signs of the problem still for the first 1000 miles or so, but since switching to Optimax/V-Power about 10 tanks ago, have not had a hint of a problem (this could just be optimistic cooincidence though).

Hope you don't have a prob. but call Volvo anyway.

ATB

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 13:48   #335
Mr2volvos

Oli,

Many thanks for this.

As I suspected, I appear to have fallen into the 'probably vunerable' catagory and will therfore submit my car for the whole 96k (cambelt change ) service at the dealership (via Customer services)and see how they react to being asked to do something for nothing!

Will let you know of the outcome.

Cheers
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 15:41   #336
Oli
VOC Member

Unrelated, but just read a post suggesting that having the water pump changed at the same time as having the camblet changed (think you'r a bit late doing that BTW) is very sensible. You know, something that really should be on the service schedule, but isn't. I've no idea of the extra cost, but no harm in asking.

And unless you've a regular dealer that knows you, then best to get in touch with Volvo, tell them you're booked in for the 90k service and ask if they'll contact the dealer to get them to do the extra work at the same time for free.

Cheers then

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:40   #337
smith428

Smile Electronic throttle control

Hi everybody, would just like some advice on a letter I have just received from volvo uk inviting me down to the dealership for a software upgrade, and to clean the throttle body and check the engine cranckcase ventilation(all for free). At this moment in time I don't seem to be having any problems with this unit. The only time the ETS light seems to come on is if I fill the car right up with fuel on a hot day. But it has no effects on performance.
They are also advising I have the car checked for diagnostic codes prior to commencing work.
Is it worth having this work done, or best to leave it.
Sorry its a '99 V70 2.5T with 94000 miles.

Many thanks
smith428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 14:24   #338
s elster

Hi I have a 1999 V70 xt that has done 39000 mls the the orange light has appeared, the Dealer who has seviced the car upgraded the software etc after I informed him I had read various tit bits on the web ( I am a new member)prior to this he was rather unhelpful I started the car the light re-appeared, I got out spoke to them, they said as we all no I need a new module, he then booked the car in for Wed 27th sept, ! was given no warnings about driving the car till then, which when I then told him I had studied the class action web sites and the dangers of driving with this problem he clammed up, I intend to have the work carried out then sue through the County Court, I would therefore like any information that all victims of this problem may feel germain.Thank you
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 14:47   #339
s elster

Hi I forgot to add that Myron Levin of the Los Angeles Times wrote an interesting article http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...uto-170127.htm also leading lawyers in the action are Fazio & Micheletti of San Mateo California I found them by searching "Volvo Class action Lawsuit", happy reading, NB I would add that up until this problem, I found as a 2nd car it was verygood, I also received good service from my dealer until now, he was taken over approx 1 year ago and I have noticed a change in attitude
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:34   #340
s elster

Here is the web site for the us lawyers you can download the class action details www.fazmiclaw.com/Volvo.html also does anyone have any iformation on the report ofnov 16th 2005 that claims that volvo in the us has extended the warranty for this problem http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/200..._extends_w.htm regards

Last edited by s elster; Sep 24th, 2006 at 09:37. Reason: wrong addr