Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY2018 cars

Views : 42971

Replies : 460

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2017, 12:23   #331
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Laidlaw View Post
Anyway good luck with it Torshen, OK I know the wheels will annoy you but at least you can spend time getting to know it internally- enjoy!
Thank you, hope everything goes well with yours too. It's been nice to have someone to talk to who's been at similar stages of the journey to me at each step of the way.

Will def post pics of mine back here once wheels are on and everything's tickety-boo.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:35   #332
soupytwister
Master Member

Yeah, good luck Torshen! It's a great car, and lots of toys to explore around PA2, adaptive cruise, nighttime driving, etc etc.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 13:42   #333
Quacker
Premier Member

Are you getting an extra set of wheels and tyres or are you fitting an alternative but only set?
Old May 19th, 2017, 13:50   #334
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Are you getting an extra set of wheels and tyres or are you fitting an alternative but only set?
I'm getting the 22" accessory wheels. For some unfathomable reason Volvo don't let you get them fitted at source or trade back the standard wheels so you have to keep the previous wheels. On in my case put them on eBay. Unless anyone on the forum wants them, I've already posted in the for sale section.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
The Following User Says Thank You to Torshen For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:01   #335
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
I'm getting the 22" accessory wheels. For some unfathomable reason Volvo don't let you get them fitted at source or trade back the standard wheels so you have to keep the previous wheels. On in my case put them on eBay. Unless anyone on the forum wants them, I've already posted in the for sale section.
Feel free not to respond, you must be getting a bit fed up of interference in your plan from the forum now. But.. you're not going to do a 400 mile round trip to collect the wheels are you? I've have the dealer send them to your address or a local (not necessarily Volvo) garage at their expense and them just have them swapped by the garage. Ask the dealer to ensure they are inflated to the correct pressure and balanced before they send.

:wq
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:11   #336
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Feel free not to respond, you must be getting a bit fed up of interference in your plan from the forum now. But.. you're not going to do a 400 mile round trip to collect the wheels are you? I've have the dealer send them to your address or a local (not necessarily Volvo) garage at their expense and them just have them swapped by the garage. Ask the dealer to ensure they are inflated to the correct pressure and balanced before they send.

I'm already going up north next weekend anyway so it doesn't add that much mileage. So yes, I'm doing some extra mileage to get them fitted next weekend (assuming dealer gets them in next week) but it's not the whole lot, not a whole round trip. They're now in transit to the dealer so any onward shipping will add more delays and I just want it done ASAP.
Old May 19th, 2017, 14:39   #337
John Laidlaw
JDL,Wirral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Thank you, hope everything goes well with yours too. It's been nice to have someone to talk to who's been at similar stages of the journey to me at each step of the way.

Will def post pics of mine back here once wheels are on and everything's tickety-boo.
Cheers for that, I'm still 'in anticipation' waiting for the definitive date but now beginning to look forward in a short time to get it hopefully. To be fair I did distract myself a bit by getting an E63 AMG too in the meantime...I'm hoping each car may balance the other in my fuel bills (doubt it though). Enjoy your trip up...are you allowed to say where you're going yet?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:38   #338
Torshen

Collected the car Saturday and have been playing with it all weekend. Love it. Pics will be posted once I have the wheels on but here are some first impressions, thoughts and a couple of questions that don't really warrant their own thread.

Used Pilot Assist pretty much the whole way back from the dealer and it's fantastic, I was already a big fan of adaptive cruise from the XC60 but PA2 is brilliant. The only thing I noticed was that my natural lane positioning is a bit further to the right than the system's positioning, which seems to be more biased toward the left-hand lane markings to me. It's probably me being too far right rather than the system being too far left but I found myself trying to correct quite a few times. I'm sure I'll adjust to that in no time at all.

There are no green compass markings in my rear-view mirror. Not sure why as I remember them from the test-drive, cars I've seen in the showroom and the manual. I located the hole on the underside and stick a straightened-out hairpin in there to try to press the button but the hairpin just goes all the way up (couple of inches) without touching anything. Does anyone know if they made changes to the mirror/compass for MY18? Will ask the dealer when I go back to get the wheels done.

On the 12.3" driver display when you have Nav shown, I'm pretty sure there's no way to adjust the zoom level, is there? I can't find a way. It's not the end of the world, it's fine, just that junctions come into view a little later than I'm used to from using my phone. I had both on for the journey home and junctions are clearly visible a good 5-10 seconds earlier on the phone compared to the 12.3" display.

Took me ages to work out how to adjust the HUD while sitting in the car with the engine started. I now know that the top-down view of the inside that shows which seats are occupied and which seatbelts are on counts as a driver 'message' which you can dismiss with the middle button on the right-hand steering wheel buttons, thereby allowing you to select HUD adjustments, but when I first picked it up I couldn't for the life of me work out why the HUD adjustment button wasn't allowing me to do anything and in the end just drove off and waited for the seatbelt 'message' (really a picture / graphic) to disappear after I'd been driving for a minute or two, then adjusted the HUD while moving (not ideal obviously).

I also tried to change my destination on the inbuilt Nav while I was driving, and while it would let me go through menus and select a place from the library just fine, when I got to the page for that location the "Start Navigation" button was faded out and I couldn't press it. Is that normal? Seems like a weird safety thing - to let you browse all the menus and get to the end of the process and then stop you from pressing the last button. I know there's voice control but I tried a few times to get it to go home and it got it wrong every time, but I didn't have very high hopes for the inbuilt voice control anyway tbh, not a feature I'm likely to use much / at all.

Also took me a while to work out how to turn the auto climate off - I generally prefer to control it manually. Seems logical now, but I kept pressing the auto button expecting it to extinguish and wondering why it wasn't.

Overall though I'm really impressed. Just need to work out why the compass isn't showing in the mirror. Again not the end of the world but if it's meant to be there I'd like it working. If it's been removed for MY18 then no biggies.

Oh, and the interior lighting (with lighting pack or higher trims) is awesome. So glad I've got that. Actually a bit jealous of those who get to sit in the back as you can really see the mood colours there.

Panoramic sunroof great too, I can see why people say the control can be a bit confusing at first but I played with it for a few mins and got the hang of it pretty quickly.

VoC app all working fine, loving that too. Fuel economy is a revelation compared to my T6 XC60 which is ridiculous.

Pics to come next week. The illuminated side running boards definitely look great in the dark. Really wish they stayed on while moving, but never mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torshen For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:54   #339
Fortune7
VOC Member

Congrats on the new car! So glad you are liking it and with no serious issues to report. Mine is due 19/6 (due in the build about now) so your feedback and impressions are really helpful. With the map zoom in/out, I thought I read that you 'pinch' the display as per a tablet, but I could well be wrong.

That HUD adjustment is just the sort of thing that would have me fooled too so good to know up-front. Keep the feedback coming!

Cheers, Andy
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:02   #340
familymangreg
Premier Member

Glad you are happy, it is a great car (despite my few gripes)!
Quote:
Used Pilot Assist pretty much the whole way back from the dealer and it's fantastic, I was already a big fan of adaptive cruise from the XC60 but PA2 is brilliant. The only thing I noticed was that my natural lane positioning is a bit further to the right than the system's positioning, which seems to be more biased toward the left-hand lane markings to me. It's probably me being too far right rather than the system being too far left but I found myself trying to correct quite a few times. I'm sure I'll adjust to that in no time at all.
Normal. Everyone observes this slight left positioning. Though I do remember a thread from a long time back (summer last year) where someone suggested they'd had the system re-calobrated as part of a fix for something else and it then sat dead centre.
Quote:
Took me ages to work out how to adjust the HUD while sitting in the car with the engine started. I now know that the top-down view of the inside that shows which seats are occupied and which seatbelts are on counts as a driver 'message' which you can dismiss with the middle button on the right-hand steering wheel buttons, thereby allowing you to select HUD adjustments, but when I first picked it up I couldn't for the life of me work out why the HUD adjustment button wasn't allowing me to do anything and in the end just drove off and waited for the seatbelt 'message' (really a picture / graphic) to disappear after I'd been driving for a minute or two, then adjusted the HUD while moving (not ideal obviously).
Yes, the right centre button dismisses most messages.
Quote:
I also tried to change my destination on the inbuilt Nav while I was driving, and while it would let me go through menus and select a place from the library just fine, when I got to the page for that location the "Start Navigation" button was faded out and I couldn't press it. Is that normal? Seems like a weird safety thing - to let you browse all the menus and get to the end of the process and then stop you from pressing the last button. I know there's voice control but I tried a few times to get it to go home and it got it wrong every time, but I didn't have very high hopes for the inbuilt voice control anyway tbh, not a feature I'm likely to use much / at all.
You can change destination while driving. I think your problem might be that you first need to 'clear' your current destination before you can set a new one. This could clearly be improved.

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: