Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 40841

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 12:53   #371
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silestanix View Post
I'm a Manual man through and through but my C70 is an automatic; have had to revert to automatics as I have problems with my left knee (I'm only 26 too ) .

Saying that though, the C70 (and my previous V70)'s autoboxes are one of the best I've used. The adaptive means exactly that, changing when required according to the situation. On the flip side, I drove a Vauxhall Insignia CDTi 160 for 6 months last year and it's got to be one of the worst auto boxes I'd ever used, I had to use the tiptronic instead 80% of the time as the gearbox just 'slipped' under heavy acceleration...quite poor.
Hi silestanix. Sorry to hear about the knee, hopefully it can be fixed. My first auto was a Vauxhall Carlton, which was great. No problems accelerating although, being an old duffer, my right foot is fairly gentle 99% of the time. So you're saying you used "heavy" acceleration 20% of the time? Seriously, its certainly not good if you need a quick manoeuvre and the gears slip. Did you have it checked?
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 18:23   #372
silestanix
Returning Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
Hi silestanix. Sorry to hear about the knee, hopefully it can be fixed. My first auto was a Vauxhall Carlton, which was great. No problems accelerating although, being an old duffer, my right foot is fairly gentle 99% of the time. So you're saying you used "heavy" acceleration 20% of the time? Seriously, its certainly not good if you need a quick manoeuvre and the gears slip. Did you have it checked?
Cheers mate, I'm afraid it's a long term thing, I'm learning to live with it but having to give up manual cars is horrible; though I reckon I've don well with the C70 auto, the low down torque pretty much negates the need to kick down, if at all ever . Only thing I anticipate later in the C70's life is the ETM going bye-bye along with the MAF, which makes an auto X70 vehicle pretty much undriveable...although now I know he symptoms so I'll be ready when the time comes...!

The Insignia was a hire car I had after my V70 was written off; with right foot planted it'd gather speed, but sound as if it was slipping, when I did the same sprint in Tiptronic mode the car was much better. I did report it to the hire company, however what they did with the information is beyond me lol.

Project thread - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330004 Closed - Sold.
silestanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:48   #373
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Big car? Auto please. I drive a Hyundai i10 auto as a daily/commuter and it is really nice too. I guess the smaller auto cars are getting a bit better. I used to have Jags and they are great in auto form. My 740 saloon and 940 estate were auto and the estate was a real beauty to drive. By comparison, my old 244DL was manual and a heavy beastie. Still liked it though.
purplebargeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 20:21   #374
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Depending on what im driving and what type of driving im doing, for the twistys or long mway runs a Manual and for town, short runs or towing an auto.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 12:29   #375
tim030654

Give me a manual every time - much more fun to drive and, when driven carefully, gives better fuel economy.

Mind you I am indoubtedly influenced by memories 40 years ago driving my Dad's automatic Austin 1100 and Allegro 1300 - two underpowered cars that did not benefit from being hitched to an automatic gerabox!
- 1996 to 2012 - 1989 740GL Estate - 2.0l petrol
- 1987 to 1996 - 1987 340DL - 1.4l petrol
tim030654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 12:40   #376
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim030654 View Post
Give me a manual every time - much more fun to drive and, when driven carefully, gives better fuel economy.

Mind you I am indoubtedly influenced by memories 40 years ago driving my Dad's automatic Austin 1100 and Allegro 1300 - two underpowered cars that did not benefit from being hitched to an automatic gerabox!
Not surprised you were mentally scarred! Have you tried a decent automatic lately, you'll find things have improved more than somewhat .

It is, of course, horses for courses.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 19:57   #377
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile manual---automatic

Hello one and all,,its now 32years since i transferred over from manual to auto and this was because i changed cars i was quite happy with my 122s but had a good offer on the car.So i was able to purchase a 1972 Volvo 164 auto it was sheer luxury and the auto box suited it completely,this was bought in 1980 and over the years it was a good buy as i started to get severe walking problems due to osteo arthritis from base of spine and knees which would have made changing gear awkward so from a health point of veiw auto every time.in the year 2000 i changed cars to a 740estate auto ,again because of health reasons.Both cars in my opinion are luxury cars and as such should use an auto box,but everyone to there own choice,when you are reasonably young and healthy then a manual gearbox but when you are in advancing years then Auto every time//regards sunnyvic
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 23:01   #378
Rustee
Rustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebargeken View Post
Big car? Auto please. I drive a Hyundai i10 auto as a daily/commuter and it is really nice too. I guess the smaller auto cars are getting a bit better. I used to have Jags and they are great in auto form. My 740 saloon and 940 estate were auto and the estate was a real beauty to drive. By comparison, my old 244DL was manual and a heavy beastie. Still liked it though.
My Volvo's are manual but we also have two I10 autos in the family, my mother' s and the other halfs. They're very nippy about town, pulling away from stationary a gap soon builds from the car behind in traffic and the auto box is a 3 speed torque converter with switchable fourth overdrive. They don't change up at the wrong time like many autos do when slowing for a roundabout. 36mpg no matter how they are driven. But you can't beat the Volvo for comfort!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:08   #379
Spike1918
Looney

I prefer manual gearboxes but I own an S70 auto, it came along at the right price with low miles.
In today`s climate of fuel price increases or just now decreases (for a whlie), a manual gives you much more control over how you use the engine and you can better adapt your driving style to conserve fuel.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:14   #380
Davelincs
VOC Member

I bought an auto 6 years ago, don't think I will ever go back to manual
Davelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davelincs For This Useful Post: