Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Fan Problem

Views : 29240

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:37   #31
stephend
Premier Member

What you have to do is be brutal with the metal bar that's getting in the way. With a bit of butchery, you'll be able to get the unit out (trust me!). It'll all be hidden behind the trim when you reassemble. It is a pain, though!
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 21:13   #32
newvolvos40owner

Default job done

ok, its done. I removed the glove compartment (2 screws ). Then i removed three screws in the plastic. These three didnt seem to help much. I couldnt see a way of loosening the metal bar. in the end i pulled hard on the bar and managed to get the heatsink assembly out.
I got my transistor from a maplin shop (about £5). Replacing it was not that easy. I used needle nose pliers to pull back the sleeving over the pins. The old transistor legs were crimped to the wires. I then cut the transistor legs.
I soldered the new transistor legs to the wires. pulled the sleeving back over the legs. Didnt have any heatsink paste so hoping for the best. tested it before reassembly and it worked! reassembly was ok. I looked at drilling the plastic for access to the hidden screw but it seemed to me I would have to drill through the metal strip as well. i managed to undo and do up this screw by using a right angle phiilips screwdriver to losen it. i then used a a small cheap flat blade screwdriver. (the sort you would use to wire a mains plug).
I did it by feel. you cant see the screw. you need a light in there to see what you are doing and it isnt easy on your back. Anyway the wife is chuffed!
newvolvos40owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newvolvos40owner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 21:15   #33
newvolvos40owner

Default Thanks

Thanks to Gatos for quick reply when I was about to give up
newvolvos40owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 02:00   #34
gatos
Premier Member

Glad I could help.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 10:08   #35
Peteanddebby

Help, I'm new to this forum.! We have a S40 2002 the heater blower is playing up, I have read all the q&a's about this and been to Maplins and got the resistor, I know where the resistor is meant To be located in the car but can't see it there! Does anyone have either a picture of it in situ or a really good idiots guide description, lol! Many thanks
Peteanddebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 18:38   #36
V4018xs

Cool V40 1.8XS with heater fan fault traced to the resistor.

Can I replace the resistor from a phase 1 V40 with the resistor from a phase 2.
Thanks
V4018xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 18:45   #37
gatos
Premier Member

If they are the same, yes, why not. I have a spare Phase 2 resistor. Next time I go at Jabe's place to help him break the car, I will check to see if there is a resistor down there and let you know. And if you want it, let me know

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 21:56   #38
Haizum74
Master Member

Would that spare P2 resistor be for sale. Mine is on its way out, keeps blowing at different velocities on each setting apart from 6. i.e set it at 3 and it blows hard (fnar fnar) then gently then hard so its def resistor on way out

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 01:40   #39
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
Would that spare P2 resistor be for sale. Mine is on its way out, keeps blowing at different velocities on each setting apart from 6. i.e set it at 3 and it blows hard (fnar fnar) then gently then hard so its def resistor on way out
Yes it is for sale. However, your symptoms point more towards the heater control panel. I could send both the resistor and heater control panel and see which one solves your problem. Whatever you don't use, you can send it back.

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 14:13   #40
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Yes it is for sale. However, your symptoms point more towards the heater control panel. I could send both the resistor and heater control panel and see which one solves your problem. Whatever you don't use, you can send it back.
When I had this last time it turned out to be that little bugger of a black box perched behind that damn metal bar lol. But Im willing to try both.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote