Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 engine oil

Views : 24593

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 14:30   #31
Chrisv60

Without touching the pedals, put the key in and LONG press on the start button until the dash ignition lights come on. You should be able to access the gauge then.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 17:52   #32
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Incorrect data there ..

the first sign of low level is at 3.9 litres ( orange light )

The next warning layer is when it gets down to 3.7 litres ( red light )

And Too high a level is first shown at 5.4 litres Yellow light )

so that is an effective safe window of just 1.5 litres . (3.9 - 5.4 litres)

Volvo say that the correct volume after a service should be "about 4.8 litres" ...
This contradicts what 3 Volvo dealers have told me, these dealers being Paul Rigby Birmingham, Squire Fernaux Maidenhead and Lancaster Reading.

All have stated 5.2l and all have following works set my oil to this level.

The saga that caused my car to be overfilled by 1.5l leading to oil being forced out of the filler cap and onto my windscreen whilst travelling on the motorway was and I quote "oil service protocol not being followed leading to incorrect calibration" and that these engines "cannot be simply topped up they must be calibrated via vida"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Marc01; Mar 31st, 2016 at 17:55.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 19:58   #33
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

can I just say what a bloody going on for such a simple check! And they call this progress!! If the car says add 0.5 litres then adding 0.5 should not then become over filled!

Its just a bit of a joke really......

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 20:37   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

If the oil is dangerously low it will tell you to stop .

As above ^ sounds a good idea , put back about 4.8 litres or to be more accurate if you drain the filter as well then add 5 litres , then see your dealer for any fixes .
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 00:15   #35
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfpg02 View Post
Hi folks. I had the warning message to add 0.5L oil pop up last night on my 2014 V60 D4 181hp . Before I do that I want to check the oil level. I worked out how to get the oil level icon and level gauge up on the display but it just says "not available". The manual says "the right conditions must be met" to display the oil level but doesn't say what they are!
I tried when parked up on the level with the engine still warm and again this morning with the engine cold and not started, but can't get it to display the level.
I rang Volvo assist and they can't help. They had no advice and won't send anyone out as I have no permanent warning light showing. Rang the dealer and they will only say "bring it in", and they are full for 2 weeks!
I don't want to run it with low oil and I don't want to risk overfilling either so I'd really like to be able to check the level. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Car must be cold or at least not run for two hours. With my car you put the fob in the ignition slot and press the start button. Do not put your foot on the brake pedal while you do that Turn the left hand wheel on the stalk until oil level is displayed. (illuminated now) Press OK for several seconds until the oil display is shown as a level.

If you have to add oil (max 0.5 litre) the correct level will not show until you have driven 30Km or so. You will then have to wait for the engine to cool down before you can check it again.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Apr 1st, 2016 at 00:20.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 18:05   #36
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Car must be cold or at least not run for two hours. With my car you put the fob in the ignition slot and press the start button. Do not put your foot on the brake pedal while you do that Turn the left hand wheel on the stalk until oil level is displayed. (illuminated now) Press OK for several seconds until the oil display is shown as a level.

If you have to add oil (max 0.5 litre) the correct level will not show until you have driven 30Km or so. You will then have to wait for the engine to cool down before you can check it again.

Hope that helps.
That appears to be proper protocol from what I understand, the Volvo assist technician who over filled my car simple let it idle on my drive then used vida to to check level once he turned the ignition off. He poured in 1.5 litres, when in actual fact my engine was already at the proper level... Correct procedure is to take it for a test drive then check level.

From what I have been lead to believe the on board oil level (my15 D4 vea with no dip stick) does not give gradual readings it simply has 3, low correct and overfilled. So you should only attempt a top up if prompted and only the .5l, then take it for a 30minute drive park up wait for it to cool down and check again.

I am not sure if I am being fed lies by my dealer, but like I said I called up 3 dealers at random all have said 5.2l is the correct level, and all have said ONLY top up if prompted then take it for a run let it sit and check again.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 00:19   #37
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
That appears to be proper protocol from what I understand, the Volvo assist technician who over filled my car simple let it idle on my drive then used vida to to check level once he turned the ignition off. He poured in 1.5 litres, when in actual fact my engine was already at the proper level... Correct procedure is to take it for a test drive then check level.

From what I have been lead to believe the on board oil level (my15 D4 vea with no dip stick) does not give gradual readings it simply has 3, low correct and overfilled. So you should only attempt a top up if prompted and only the .5l, then take it for a 30minute drive park up wait for it to cool down and check again.

I am not sure if I am being fed lies by my dealer, but like I said I called up 3 dealers at random all have said 5.2l is the correct level, and all have said ONLY top up if prompted then take it for a run let it sit and check again.

As Clan said VIDA will always be up to date and correct. The handbook is printed a long time before the information in VIDA, which will be updated on line from Sweden. The cars oil readout will be set to the information supplied by VIDA.

The electronic oil level reading uses sonar to read the amount of oil in the sump.

I fitted a physical dipstick to my car so I could check the level without needing to wait for the engine to cool down so I could check it during a long journey. It is useful for checking after it has been in for a service as well. My oil level has been extremely stable. Never seems to change but it uses oil that is a bit thicker than the D4.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 14:01   #38
doublemili
Doublemili V60 D4

Default V60 D4 HIGH oil consumption

Hi,

let me post mine experience for the last 10 months regarding oil consumption on V60 D4 181hp, auto, Y2014.

I have bought used one (142.000km) from FR in April 2017. In August had service interval and changed oil...after 5000km got alarm: fill in 0,5l. After 3000km again and again. Intervals went like this:

- 30.000km added 5,2l
-25.000km add 0,5l
-22.500km add 0,5l
-19.500km add 0,5l
- 15.500km add 1l (red alarm)

-14.759km I went to Volvo dealer. They drained all oil out and also from the filter. All together it was aprox. 4,3l. Then they added 5,2 liter and calibrated it with VIDA. That was two weeks ago!

After 1300km I went again to the dealer and VIDA shoved 4,8l!!!!

I also experience greasy smell from exhaustion. Can not say that there is white/bluish smoke (yet). Definitely smells bad…

I would really be thankful for any advice what to do??

Regards
Bojan
doublemili is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doublemili For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 22:46   #39
philz

Sorry to raise an old thread but need advice. 2015 D4 2.0 VEA engine shows below minimum on oil check but I have not had any low oil or top up message displayed. Is this normal?
philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 22:48   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philz View Post
Sorry to raise an old thread but need advice. 2015 D4 2.0 VEA engine shows below minimum on oil check but I have not had any low oil or top up message displayed. Is this normal?
no , you need to get the gauge reset , It needs the correct quantity of oil in there first , drain oil and filter , either put exactly 5 litres of the same oil back in or new oil .. then reset the oil level gauge in VIDA .
don't forget the correct specification Volvo oil which is unique to this engine .