Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which would you buy V50 or V70?

Views : 6497

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2023, 11:33   #31
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
My current V40 is a 2003 SE 2.0, I saved it from going to scrap, I like the performance and can live with the 30mpg, the boot space is OK though I find the cabin to small and cramped after having the Avensis which was an 1.8 hatch.
The biggest problem for me is I need an automatic and I more for comfort then speed nowadays.
As time goes by everything does get bigger ... however in Australia (where I am) your S40 was a mid-sized car, but the V50 was a small-mid car. I don't really know what the segments are (A Segment, B Segment etc) but the V50 was the equivalent of "down a segment" on the market here, and given the fact that there's under a decade between development of the two cars I doubt the "segments" themselves moved up far enough to say the V50 would be bigger overall ...

However, there may be dimensions in which the V50 is larger, it may be more comfy for you - since it seems all you're looking for is to be comfy in it. I've not been in the C30/S40/V50 for any stretch of time, but a couple of workmates had the equivalent Focus & in fact I borrowed one for a few weeks once - no problems in that for an overweight 6'1" bloke, plenty of room both front & rear.

But the V70 is considerably larger. The V50 is probably best described as a "lifestyle hatch" more than a wagon, the V70 goes closer to fitting the pallet in the back which was possible with ... I forget, 740 was it?

Last edited by Forg; Feb 13th, 2023 at 11:35.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 13:41   #32
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, there in lays the problem. They seem to be very thin on the ground around me and I'm searching up to 100miles away from me.
I went through the same business last year. Missed what sounded like a good V70 locally, plus one that was a dog. Lurked the forum, Autotrader, eBay etc. The logistics of travelling 100 miles with wife and dog was a pain, which is what it took to get our current car. Paid over the odds too, but prices were silly everywhere. Several likely candidates later appeared, as you might expect.
I'll say this though, I love the car, and wish I'd been able to justify buying one years ago.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 21:51   #33
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, there in lays the problem. They seem to be very thin on the ground around me and I'm searching up to 100miles away from me.
Petrol P3 V70s all seem to be turbocharged and, therefore, a bit more complex and expensive with performance that you don't need. Of those currently on Autotrader, a number are also imports.

A late P2 V70 with the 170bhp normally aspirated engine is probably a better proposition if you can get a good example. The turning circle isn't the greatest selling point, but inside the P2 V70 is such a lovely place to be. I would also suggest that it's slightly more comfortable than the P3, although the P3 counters with a greater ride height, making it easier to get in and out of.

If you were looking for a diesel then I'd be suggesting a Volvo-engined P3.

Bit of a wild card, but have you considered a pre-Powershift Ford Mondeo hatchback or estate (which shares the same platform as the P3 V70)? Having owned two, I can say that it's also a lovely place to be, plus it rides and handles well. My old 59-reg is still going under new ownership with 168k on the clock.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 16:04   #34
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
And don’t forget the tight turning circle…..
compared to ?? oil tanker or bulk shipping container ship??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 11:15   #35
Topcat1958

Having previously owned two V70's you can probably guess my choice.
Fantastic vehicles and so practical.
Topcat1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Topcat1958 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 09:45   #36
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
I don't know much about the V 50
So I would get a 2005 ish V70 if you can find one
Just wondering why the 2005ish model?

I'm now preferring the 2007 onwards, it appears to have much improved safety. I didn't realise how poor the earlier V70 was on safety. I like older cars, mostly because of the reduced complexity but I like to strike a balance between modernish safety and workable home mechanicing.

I've noticed a V50 around the village and yesterday I spoke with the owner and the problems he has had with it totally put me off the V50.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 12:01   #37
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:

I've noticed a V50 around the village and yesterday I spoke with the owner and the problems he has had with it totally put me off the V50.
My son persevered with two V50 T5's. There is a reason he now drives a Skoda.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 08:48   #38
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
V70….. we did a big meet at Rockingham and a tight turn sorted the V70’s from the V50’s 😂😂 We got round in one hit and the V70’s were shunting to get round….. ohhh we laughed

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 08:49   #39
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Having had an P2 S60, the turning circle was appalling 😂😂

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 21:47   #40
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Having had an P2 S60, the turning circle was appalling 😂😂

TT
so,, S60 (p2) is the biggest turning circle needed, piping the V70 while the "nimble" (ahem) v50 manages it in one (most of the time)
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:

Tags
v50, v70