Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T6 - Wow!

Views : 6173

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 22:49   #31
laviathan

Not only only that but there is a bit of shiny metal with "Twin Charged" in the middle! Cant really hear the turbos though. Are they progressive? Does anyone know out there?

Hell of a large engine! - Last car was a daewoo matiz 800CC! Its now our second car!
laviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 22:56   #32
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviathan View Post
Heard it on Top Gear, so could be wrong!
Must be true then...
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 00:05   #33
laviathan

Default not as fast as this though!

Good night all and sleep tight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpL5u...eature=related
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 19:04   #34
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
I have been informed that chipping this beast will give you 50BHP more! so new BHP = 325BHP. less one bhp for every year that it is old!

I will leave that one for the moment! - 272 is more than enough!

Halfords say this engine is 10 40 part synth. Is that right?

Oh - and anyone know where I can get an owners maual?
I'd get the oil leak sorted and be sure that everything else is fine, before you think about chipping it! And as for the oil, it won't make any odds until it stops spitting it out onto the tarmac!

Seriously, hope it all turns out good for you mate, but be very wary - a performance Volvo, or any performance car for that matter, can very quickly become a money pit, if things go wrong.

All the best
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 19:40   #35
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinistics View Post
I recollect that there used to be a 2.9 NA 6 cylinder engine that gave an output just shy of the 2.4t e.g. 200ish - I've seen a number of these masquerading as T6s over the last year and I think that's where the figures comes from. Obviously, if you have two chunky pipes wrapping over the top of the engine this is not your problem as it would clearly be a T6!
That's correct. Basically it was the "old" 960/X90 engine with 204bhp coupled with a GM 4 speed auto. Later the output was reduced to 200bhp. The 2.4T had 193bhp - don't think this engine were ever sold in the UK on the S80 however. The newer 2.5T (210bhp) was available later in the S80's life and still is today.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 18:03   #36
laviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
I'd get the oil leak sorted and be sure that everything else is fine, before you think about chipping it! And as for the oil, it won't make any odds until it stops spitting it out onto the tarmac!

Seriously, hope it all turns out good for you mate, but be very wary - a performance Volvo, or any performance car for that matter, can very quickly become a money pit, if things go wrong.

All the best
I thank you for your wishes. Still waiting for the parts. Maybe this was why the car felt underpowered compared to the last time I test drove her, I dont know.

Never mind. I am only concerned at the fact that it will soon be a week that I have owned the car and only driven her for 45 mins! Dealers Eh!
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:13   #37
laviathan

Car is going to be ready by the weekend!

Woo Hoo.

Lets hope thats all the leaks sorted!
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 14:21   #38
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Car is going to be ready by the weekend!

Woo Hoo.

Lets hope thats all the leaks sorted!
Hurrah!

(Look out, Wiltshire!)

C.A.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 13:19   #39
laviathan

Talking Job done!

Well,

Its being driven to my drive by the end of today. There seems to be what looks like a power steering rack leak, so will look for red drops on the drive now!

It will be nice to actually drive something for my money rather than look at a set of keys!

Do these racks go in any famous places that I should look at? - Anyone know?

Manathome Swindon did this job for me. Picked her up did the work and dropped it off. Nice people.

Fingers crossed no more oils leaks! - Maybe this is why the car felt a little underpowered? Leaking turbo return!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 15:44   #40
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Oil wise - think we got it in time as the oil light did not come on. The oil was on the minimum mark when I whacked a load of fresh oil in it.
Point 1 worth all bearing in mind.

The oil light is no indication of there being enough oil in the engine, it simply indicates the functioning of the oil pump by monitoring a very low pressure on the output. I found this out the hard way. I had a Nissan Primera company car which blew its oil filter seal apart on the A303. The point where it went was single carriage way and would have been VERY dangerous to leave the car. I took the risk of proceeding a mere 1/4 mile to a layby with oil and smoke pouring out of the back of the car. I was about 100m from safety when the engine started rattling more, and only 50m away when it let go and seized. It was literally 2 seconds from seizure when the oil light came on and way way after it started rattling knocking and banging.

Point 2

If you had still a registration of oil on the dipstick (even just a drip at the bottom) you still have plenty of oil in the engine The dipstick stops way before the bottom of the sump. On my T5 there is only about a litre of oil between Max and Min where the engine holds just over 5 litres.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuisance For This Useful Post: