Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20488

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 20:33   #31
D2GREEK
S40 D2 MY2011

Well, a few months after my previous message, this is how things have evolved. The problem with the first gear's low power seems to be smaller. Overall impression of the car (28000klm so far) very good, with average consumption around 50 mpg (a lot of motorway klms, and almost 100% use of clima ). The engine is also far better than before in the power delivered when moving (accelerations with 6th gear over 100 km/h). Absolutely no oil loss (not a single drop). I didn't have any car shaking problems.
Seems that I'm not that "dissatisfied" with my D2 after all!
D2GREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D2GREEK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:29   #32
sks109

I`ve been following this thread for a while as my D2 had very similar stuttering problems but with more mileage I have to agree the probelms are starting to diminish slightly. I`ve reached 4k now and there is certainly a consumption fuel improvement and I suspect it will get better still.

My big moan is still the severe lack of power when starting from cold, my lawnmower has more get up and go. I have to reverse out of my garage and up a drive to leave home, from cold I have to rev like hell to keep it going. Will this improve, I don`t know, can only hope.
sks109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:48   #33
faffi
Motorcyclist

My D2 have improved over time (8000 miles +), also probably due to 3 sessions with new SW uploaded plus having two of the CPUs replaced under warranty.

The main gripes I have are:

1) Sometimes too much revs when taking off with power some of those times going away when the clutch is fully engaged - it's like hitting the brakes momentarily. Doesn't happen as often - partly because I know de-clutch if the revs are soaring for no apparent reason.

2) Car jerking under light load at low rpm. Even just letting it idle on its own, without a single input from me, it can be like a mad ram, bucking like crazy. This is by far the most annoying issue because it makes it impossible to move smoothly when traffic is next to stopped and makes me look like a bloody beginner without a clue. The only way is to abuse the clutch, but even that isn't enough to smooth things out. Taking off smoothly when car is like this is totally impossible.

3) Reduced power in 1st gear. Now that my car is in for a new wheel bearing under warranty - production fault; 50 ton pressure required to get the bearing off so they'll fit a new spindle as well - I had the chance to borrow a Focus with a 90 hp diesel engine. While it is completely gutless in 4th and 5th gear, it is massively quicker than my S40 off the line and through 1st gear.

4) Lots of play in the driveline, presumably from the new 6-speed 'box. This makes the uneven running from the engine worse and also often very noisy gearshifts as the play is taken up.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:23   #34
Jeff1952

Default Second hand year old D2

Hi, I've been interested to read the problems with the D2 fuel consumption. Our's is woefullty poor compared to the official figures. My wife has a 6 year old 1.4D Corolla which is consistently in the high 50s mpg. I had an 6 year old Astra TwinTop 1.9D and that also gave me better consumption. Both cars consistently gave Mpg figures within 10% of the official overall published ones. We bought the Volvo mainly because of the good overall mpg and would have expected to get closer to 60mpg rather than the 44 that we are getting. It has done 13600 miles so it's well run in. It does have some acceleration lag in second but that doesn't worry me. My driving style hasn't changed for years.
Jeff1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:09   #35
faffi
Motorcyclist

I get 50 mpg around town, short hop driving. The 90 hp Ford Focus diesel I was lent yesterday was a little worse, actually, than my D2 despite nigh on identical driving conditions.

50 mpg is still a far cry from what's promised, and not only that; it's the first car where I have managed to reach, not to mention surpass, the consumption claimed for Urban driving. I get what is claimed for the combined cycle during long distance driving. With other cars, these conditions have always brought figures below what is claimed for Extra Urban. So the claims are way out.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:13   #36
Jeff1952

I still think that the consumption should be better. We do a lot of driving to/from France along good roads or motorway and we consistently get near or better than the published overal figures. Why are Volvo's so far away. It's an EU test!!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 16:09   #37
faffi
Motorcyclist

Of course it should be better! But they are not alone in this mis-information, nor the worst. However, at first I got seriously annoyed that even under virtually ideal conditions, it is nigh on impossible to meet the claims for Extra Urban. And by ideal I mean constant 60 mph on level ground. Extra Urban, however, includes accelerations and higher as well as lower speeds and some idling. Urban cycle is from a cold engine with typical inner city driving pattern. There is no way anybody anywhere in this world would get my gar down to the claimed figure in such a test, rolling test road or not. Unless they throw it off a cliff, perhaps, and let gravity do the work

Still, if I ignore the fact that VW Rabbit/Golfs from 1980 got better mileage and that I get far worse results than advertised, 50 mpg is still pretty respectable and not much worse than I get from my single cylinder motorcycle. On longer runs, the car is actually 20% more frugal than the bike on similar run! So it's all relative, I guess.

Put differently; if it wasn't for the claimed figures, I'd be happy with my car's consumption.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 16:49   #38
Jeff1952

But why are the official figures so far out from all the other cars I've owned. I don't expect to get anywhere near the extra urban figures but I do to the combined. Around town my TwinTop got 42-44 mpg compared to the official overall figure of 49. my wife's Corolla does 55mpg going to and from work, overall official being 58.9. So to get 44 out of the Volvo D2 compared to the official 65.7 is hard to take, especially as the thing that swayed us to buy it was it's excellent consumption figures. Fuel consumption is crucial to us especially as the car it's replacing does almost 60mpg on the run to France doing 70mph (110k) on the motorways. It feels like we've been conned.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 17:34   #39
volvorocks
Rodney

Regards D2 take it its a C30?

Regards fuel consumption , whilst I appreciate you may never get near official figures , I have found all my other cars have been within around 15%.

An example is the old shape Citroen Picasso 2.0hdi giving 50mpg most of the time.

With my newer Volvos fuel consumption is around 30% plus worse eg quoted 50mpg get 35mpg.

We have an s40 1.6d drive thats nearly 2 years old. I never drive it and upon talking to my (slightly non technical relative..lol) what fuel consumption its getting - the answer is "I dont know" so I said look at the trip computer with the resulting answer - "how do I do that"..!!

The car has done about 15k and as far as I know the trip computer has not been reset from new...so Im itching to have a look when I next see the car to see what readout is.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 17:38   #40
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
My D2 have improved over time (8000 miles +), also probably due to 3 sessions with new SW uploaded plus having two of the CPUs replaced under warranty.

The main gripes I have are:

1) Sometimes too much revs when taking off with power some of those times going away when the clutch is fully engaged - it's like hitting the brakes momentarily. Doesn't happen as often - partly because I know de-clutch if the revs are soaring for no apparent reason.

2) Car jerking under light load at low rpm. Even just letting it idle on its own, without a single input from me, it can be like a mad ram, bucking like crazy. This is by far the most annoying issue because it makes it impossible to move smoothly when traffic is next to stopped and makes me look like a bloody beginner without a clue. The only way is to abuse the clutch, but even that isn't enough to smooth things out. Taking off smoothly when car is like this is totally impossible.

3) Reduced power in 1st gear. Now that my car is in for a new wheel bearing under warranty - production fault; 50 ton pressure required to get the bearing off so they'll fit a new spindle as well - I had the chance to borrow a Focus with a 90 hp diesel engine. While it is completely gutless in 4th and 5th gear, it is massively quicker than my S40 off the line and through 1st gear.

4) Lots of play in the driveline, presumably from the new 6-speed 'box. This makes the uneven running from the engine worse and also often very noisy gearshifts as the play is taken up.
I'm passed caring about the fuel consumption, I just want to be able to drive my V50 D2 normally and for it to react properly and consistently, and without the various clunks from the gearbox. I have the exact same "gripes" as you, all 4 of them! My dealer has carried out various "tweeks" and is very sympathetic, but nothing has changed.

This is the dearest car I have ever bought, and the worst, and that is in 45 years of motoring. My friends all say take the car back and demand another, if only!

Last edited by lcnar01; Sep 13th, 2011 at 17:41.
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote