Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights

Views : 3018

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:35   #31
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman View Post
Matt, I realise I could probe every wire of the 20 odd pin connector in the 3 switch positions but was hoping for a more intelligent approach i.e. there should be voltage on wire x, check it!!

Also, are the running lights on the same feed? I expected so and they still work so I doubt this will give me positive confirmation of much.

Sadly I'm not making much progress elsewhere, the loom under the rad looked fine, the only anomoly was a blue/black wire which has some kind of patch in it but I don't know if this is standard?

i understand where you coming from bud, but i dont have one of these cars at the moment so i cant work it out and give you a definate answer, if we lived closer together i would come and have a look so i could see exactly what was going on, its all going to be about probing and wire tracing m8, there is no other way to it, unless you can get a full wiring diagram, but by the sounds of it there has been mods to the loom so i dont know if one would help much. sorry i cant be much more use. if you still having a problem when i get my car i will trying to do some wire tracing for you and fingers crossed my wiring matches yours.

cheers matt
madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:45   #32
madmodder

a good way to start probing is to look at wire colour going to each bulb holder and make notes of them, then find the same colour wires in the rear multi plug, unplug the rear multi plug and make sure you have contanuity so you know you have the write wires, then trace if there is a colour change at the multi plug and follow the loom down to the next junction and do the same again, you will end up with a complete map of the lights wiring loom and you may even find where the fault is along the way, and then do the same for the front, rember to draw it out on paper so you can rember all the colours and junction points, this way you will also end up mapping the back of the switch correctly as you will have all the colour coding.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 13:14   #33
JSeaman

Thanks for the input - I may have the wiring I need now so I can start tracing things, will let you know!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 14:01   #34
JSeaman

I put 12V in the rear nearside tail light connector and it turns by offside headlight on!

I put 12V in the rear offside connector ... turns my offside headlight on!

I need a full wiring diagram now!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 14:28   #35
madmodder

main head light or just side light? sounds like there is a dead short somewhere, if you trace all the wiring like i said you will find it its just a case of finding
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 14:30   #36
madmodder

just a thought was the headlight switch turned on when you back powered the system
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 14:34   #37
madmodder

can you open up the switch and take a good photo of both sides of the circuit bored, cheers
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 14:42   #38
madmodder

i tell you what if your willing to drive to me then we can work it out together.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 15:31   #39
JSeaman

If it was a dead short then it would have popped when I put 12V in. I assume it was the sidelight only but coudln't see because I was at the back of the car!

The headlight was at the 12 o clock position so sidelights only should have been on

I'll open the switch again later and send some pics

Berkshire is a fair old trip Where abouts exactly are you?
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 16:41   #40
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman View Post
If it was a dead short then it would have popped when I put 12V in. I assume it was the sidelight only but coudln't see because I was at the back of the car!

The headlight was at the 12 o clock position so sidelights only should have been on

I'll open the switch again later and send some pics

Berkshire is a fair old trip Where abouts exactly are you?
Reading