Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45788

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2009, 19:05   #31
chilton55555

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What do you mean by 'A Frame' and what were the adjustments they made? This noise is really frustrating me - and others it would seem
I am honestly not sure what the A frame is, but the adjustment has made a difference but it still anoys me enough to ask them to have another go.
chilton55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 19:35   #32
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Wink

'A' Frame is the part of the structure of the car that comprises the two pillars of a front door including thewindsreen edge and front roof edge so that looking side on at the car an 'A' shape is formed. Looks like they have adjusted the 'hang' of the door so it seals better to the 'A' Frame.
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 19:40   #33
ColinH

Hi,

It's not something that I've experienced - in fact, after reading the start of this thread, have tried various speed tests to see if I could induce any noise.

Nothing! The only difference I can see between ours and a 'regular' XC60, is that ours has extra laminated glass all round, and looking at a regular car, our glass appears to be a 'smoother' finish to the body around the edge. Also, ours had the 3000 mile service done prior to the testing, so if there has been changes made then, it could well have 'cured' it.
I have noticed though, that our car is noticeably quieter than the XC60 loaner we had during the service.

Colin
ColinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 21:43   #34
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEROV View Post
'A' Frame is the part of the structure of the car that comprises the two pillars of a front door including thewindsreen edge and front roof edge so that looking side on at the car an 'A' shape is formed. Looks like they have adjusted the 'hang' of the door so it seals better to the 'A' Frame.
Not quite correct. The pillars are simply named A, B, C and D etc to easily identifying them.

Looking from the side of the car:
A - First pillar from bonnet. The A pillar does not strech down where the door is hinged. Only the actual frame of the driver/front pax window, ie the black surround around the window.
B - Second pillar. The pillar seperating drivers/front pax window from rear seat window.
C - on saloon's, usually the last pillar.
D - on estates, the very last pillar. In Volvo's case, where the light clusters are fitted on the 850's, V70's etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinH View Post
Hi,

It's not something that I've experienced - in fact, after reading the start of this thread, have tried various speed tests to see if I could induce any noise.

Nothing! The only difference I can see between ours and a 'regular' XC60, is that ours has extra laminated glass all round, and looking at a regular car, our glass appears to be a 'smoother' finish to the body around the edge. Also, ours had the 3000 mile service done prior to the testing, so if there has been changes made then, it could well have 'cured' it.
I have noticed though, that our car is noticeably quieter than the XC60 loaner we had during the service.

Colin
With laminated windows, your car would be a lot more quiet (and heavier) than any car not fitted with these. Apart making the window almost impossible to brake through, it also makes it alot more quiet interior noise.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:25   #35
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinH View Post
Hi,

Colin
I have laminated windows and noise - but my door has been removed due to both running boards and some body repairs - I might get them to look at re-hanging door then.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:40   #36
XC60Owner

Quote:
My XC60 went in for its 3 month check and I had a rummage thro' the paperwork of the work conducted. And I found they had done some work to reduce the noise at speed generated by the wing mirrors - its was on advice of a recall. Not a full safety recall - but when a car goes in they should conduct any outstanding remedial work which has been reported. So they clearly know its an issue and have offered a solution to dealers. Have to say mine never really suffered from its greatly - but since the fix it has improved.
Another - is there any reference number anywhere on your paperwork for the wing mirror adjustment? This might be the cause of my noise as well - and it is driving me mad - I would love to be able to tell the garage exactly what the recall reference number is as my car is booked in for a service on Wednesday.

Last edited by XC60Owner; Nov 30th, 2009 at 10:57.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 14:50   #37
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Just been out for a 300 mile trip in my XC60 and no wind-noise above 85mph.....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 16:04   #38
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Just been out for a 300 mile trip in my XC60 and no wind-noise above 85mph.....
It is good to know that you car is OK

I think that most of our cars are also OK under most circumstances - I have no wind noise at any speed until I open the drivers window and any speed above 50mph causes high pitched whistling from the passenger side somewhere near the A Pillar/Wing Mirror.

This is the issue for me

I guess the cure is not open teh drivers window then I will not have any noise .....
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 13:51   #39
XC60Owner

Smile Good news

Ok so my car is at the garage having a 1 yr service. They have confirmed there is a work item on the system for wind noise from wing mirror. My wife is there and they showed her where a replacement seal is needed, she said "the bar between the windscreen and the door," which sounds like the a-pillar to me. Unfortunately they need to ordder part so it can't be done today but it sounds like there is a known fix for our problem. My wife says he pointed to exactly where our noise is coming from so fingers crossed.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 17:04   #40
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
Ok so my car is at the garage having a 1 yr service. They have confirmed there is a work item on the system for wind noise from wing mirror. My wife is there and they showed her where a replacement seal is needed, she said "the bar between the windscreen and the door," which sounds like the a-pillar to me. Unfortunately they need to ordder part so it can't be done today but it sounds like there is a known fix for our problem. My wife says he pointed to exactly where our noise is coming from so fingers crossed.
You are quite right. The "A" pillar.

Good news that that they have a solution!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's