Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 81951

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2010, 15:11   #31
Bill_56
Premier Member

I found one suggestion about what the new software does... it may cause the 'low-oil-level' warning to be less sensitive, to allow for the new regime of reduced oil levels in the sump. That will be a fine consolation if the bearings run dry. See the interesting thread at...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaB...m=1274032266/1

@Lozza,
It's surprising that the software update is being applied to non-DPF cars, but maybe it's even more surprising that an '07 car doesn't have the DPF.

I don't know how Volvo distribute ECU software, but I'm a software developer myself (not automotive), and it's often more convenient to release a single software binary that's common to all devices (or engines), and then the software figures out for itself what engine you have, and automatically configures/enables/disables the various features such as DPF regen. So maybe Volvo have just incorporated this 'fix' into their latest generic ECU software?

Sorry for being blunt, but I regard the 'oil misting' issue as complete BS. They've already admitted in countless press releases the issue is diesel getting into the oil (which Volvo blames on use of bio-diesel in pump-mixes, though nobody else does).
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 21:20   #32
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Bill, I have to say I'm not convinced with the 'oil misting' response either... I've seen countless post all over the internet with regards to diesel ending up in the oil for me to think this way.

My next task, hopefully next weekend, is to get under the car and clarify for certain if I have one of these filters or not. Like you, I was surprised to hear from the dealer that mine didn't have one...
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 21:52   #33
Chauffeurdude

Default DPF recall done!!!

Purely by accident ended up getting my DPF recall done today I bid on a new alloy wheel last week on ebay and won it for £50.00. Turns out was a dealer in Birmingham. Upon contacting them it turned out they had another wheel so got two new Cassiopeia wheels for £100.00!! Result!! Anyway went to collect this morning and got talking to guys in parts/service and they mentioned the recall. They offered to do it while I waited saying it took about 20 minutes!! Was rather dubious but let them do it. Sure enough didn't take long. Was curious to see whether they were going to drain any oil etc as some had said levels would be reduced. Car was not put on ramp at any stage. Drove fine coming home with no obvious difference to fuel consumption or performance. Done about 150 miles this afternoon. Checked oil level and exactly the same as before - just on maximum. Interesting stuff!!

Car is booked in for service at Bells next week and they were going to do recall but never mind. Logic was that if this did reveal any DPF problems then Bells could look at it next week!!

The service guy described the work as a 'software update' which was altering some of the parameters of operation. Usual waffle I suppose!!

Not sure if many others had recall done yet but it would appear that is nothing to worry about as such
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 22:36   #34
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeurdude View Post
Car is booked in for service at Bells next week
The recall only mandates draining oil & diesel if it's already above 'max', or so I was told by my own dealer.

I think you'll find, after the service, it's only partly filled with oil. That's what I was told by my dealer, and corroborated by Clan's recent post. But please do let us all know whether it proves to be the case?

If your car sees regular motor-way trips then it probably passively regenerates, whereas this issue only affects active regeneration (unless your bearings seize as a result of oil starvation).
Old May 24th, 2010, 23:00   #35
Chauffeurdude

Thumbs down

I do some motorway work, some weeks more than others. The car is licensed as a taxi so does some local rank work. I cover about 1000 miles per week and whilst I drive carefully I don't nurse it, gets a bootful if I get the chance!! I have never really noticed the DPF regeneration as such but not sure how you tell. Some have said about instant mpg change and dte figure on the computer. I have noticed the dte figure drop sharply then recover without really taking much notice so maybe regeneration has been happening then. Average mpg figure always sits in the 40's, still 46.2 at the moment.

With regards to the oil I am not happy about the car being underfilled and running a lower level of oil. I am a stickler for oil levels on all my vehicles. I have always looked after my engines so stuff Volvo it will have the correct level of oil regardless!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 23:21   #36
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeurdude View Post
With regards to the oil I am not happy about the car being underfilled and running a lower level of oil. I am a stickler for oil levels on all my vehicles. I have always looked after my engines so stuff Volvo it will have the correct level of oil regardless!!
I couldn't agree more.

But so far, it's only a rumour. I'll be fascinated to hear how yours is after service.

Last edited by Bill_56; May 24th, 2010 at 23:26. Reason: Said something silly
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:17   #37
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

I will need to check my VIN to see if I'm affected, but as I check my oil level regularly, and the car does 2x17 mile trips a day along 60 mph A roads I'm going to assume that the passive regeneration is ok for my DPF. Not sure about the Volvo software update, but I know when VAG had issues with their DPFs they actually 'updated' the 170 engines by detuning them to around 150! If I'd wanted less power I'd have bought the old D5, and saved money in purchase and fuel!!
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 14:44   #38
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbijay View Post
but I know when VAG had issues with their DPFs they actually 'updated' the 170 engines by detuning them to around 150!
Now I'm scared. To have credibility with my complaint to Volvo I really need to show that I've fully co-operated with them, so I've agreed to the update - beginning of next week. I'll be looking out for any gremlins, but how on earth would I go about proving the bhp had been reduced?
Old May 25th, 2010, 15:28   #39
Brendan W
Premier Member

Bill_56 .... but how on earth would I go about proving the bhp had been reduced?[/QUOTE]

Not easy , 10% power reduction is probably 3-5% off top speed if you ever get there and your standing quarter times could be off a few tenths. Seriously though I sympathise with your frustration with a manufacturer who is giving the appearance of not being straight.I doubt if any are much different. There is probably a guy in there who would open source the maps if he could but by the time the legal/liability/PR filters are finished with the message this is what we all get.That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep them honest when they get it wrong. As a group we owners have probably sued manufacturers for ridiculous things and as such must take some 'credit' for the relationship we have with them.That being said modern cars are exceptional pieces of equipment and at twice the price they are still very cheap.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 20:16   #40
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Dealer advises Volvo technical stated last Thursday they are in the process of releasing a question & answer leaflet. They will not release any further information at this stage - Maybe it will be in Chinese!