Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No spark no fuel.

Views : 24569

Replies : 155

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2009, 13:08   #31
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

How do i get the steel strap that goes over the top of my ECU Cover off,Haynes neglects to tell you how.There is a nut and pin or round headed bolt in the top but cant see how you would turn a spanner,there must be a nack to it, Thanks.

Last edited by Toplights; Oct 24th, 2009 at 13:10.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 15:16   #32
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Had the ECU's out,dry as a bone and clean as a whistle,had to cut the steel strap off it first.
Going fishing tomorrow using the Wifes car (thats if i can get in it).Will start again on Monday.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 15:43   #33
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Good new there then, have a look at the connector on top of the gearbox and the ABS ECU.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 16:49   #34
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Will do Chris,thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 19:48   #35
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Now i'm up a gum tree,my lad has just turned up with the code reader and guess what? No fault codes stored,then turned car over for 20 seconds stopped and scanned again still no fault code registering.
My lad did say though (as i mentioned in another thread) that the engine was turning over faster than it usually does it doesent seem to be building compression.Still clueless.
Gone fishing.

Last edited by Toplights; Oct 24th, 2009 at 20:35.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 20:24   #36
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
Now i'm up a gum tree,my lad has just turned up with the code reader and guess what? No fault codes stored,then turned car over for 20 seconds stopped and scanned again still no fault code registering.
My lad did say though (as i mentioned in another thread) that the engine was turning over faster than it usually does.Still clueless.
Gone fishing.
Oh boy, this is frustrating. Have you looked under the cambelt cover to double check the belt isn't broken? As I understand, if the camshaft position sensor isn't turning then there isn't a signal to send spark or fuel. It grim to think about it as I learnt the hard way but I hope it is something easy to find and cheap to repair.

Matt
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 20:39   #37
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Camshaft definately turning,you only have to take the oil filler off and you can see it.Engine doesent seem to be building copresstion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toplights For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 22:25   #38
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

have you rechecked for spark and fuel after the ecu's have been removed,unfortunatly the codes if stored may have been wiped by removing,really the car needs to be connected to Volvo's vida or a code reader that can monitor readings when cranking.

looks like there is another problem as you say it has no compression,this is usually caused by overfueling and flooding the bores,worth adding a small amount of oil down the plug holes and crank to see if it sounds like compression has been restored,if not worth checking the valve timing incase it has jumped on the pulleys.

hopr this helps regards GH.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:56   #39
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

When you take the oil filler cap off you can only see the inlet camshaft, try removing the cam position sensor, which is at the air filter end of the exhaust camshaft, and see if the exhaust camshaft is turning.
Also check the electrical connections to the sensor.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 13:23   #40
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Good afternoon to all,Ah well the saga continues,but i see a small glimmer of hope,On very close inspection of the rotor arm there is a hairline crack in the red insulation that runs from the front foot (the part that takes the current to the indevidual plugs)to the centre of the arm allong the very edge of the red insulation.Could this cause compleat failier of spark?
Have,looked at camshaft position sensor,can this be checked to see it has/ hasent failed? (Cam is turning).
Cleaned and checked all the take appart plugs in the engine compartment,including the one on the top of the Gearbox(to the control unit).Cleaned contacts to the coil.

Last edited by Toplights; Oct 26th, 2009 at 13:26.