Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LED DRLs in fogs

Views : 14935

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:55   #31
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocker01 View Post
I would like to fit DRL on my car but don't want to disable front fogs (may need them one day or night).
I've been driving 24 years and in all that time have only driven in fog of less than 100m visibility a handful of times. Even in those times, front fogs don't really help any more than dipped headlights so I see them as more of a styling accessory than anything useful

Rear fogs are a different matter. I would love to see everyone who uses them incorrectly educated on their proper use as it hacks me off following someone in light rain with their rear fog glaring away at me.
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:07   #32
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
I've been driving 24 years and in all that time have only driven in fog of less than 100m visibility a handful of times. Even in those times, front fogs don't really help any more than dipped headlights so I see them as more of a styling accessory than anything useful.
Don't do much snow driving then??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:40   #33
JetBlastDeflector
XC40 P8 FIRST EDITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
since the introduction of these "day running lights " in the fog light position , the law must have changed , does anyone know for sure ?
European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights. The mandate will extend to trucks and buses in August 2012. The EU Directive requires that the DRL function must be produced by functionally specific lamps meeting the requirements of ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48. Functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted.
JetBlastDeflector is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetBlastDeflector For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 18:16   #34
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

For those who convert their front fog lamps to DRLs using the original fog light housing/lens - bear in mind that even if you alter your wiring or bulb type, it is still a foglamp if the unit/lens carries a foglamp "E" number (don't ask me what the actual number is!).
It seems a better use of the front fog lamp space, but to stay 100% legal, you should replace the whole unit/lens with an "E" marked DRL.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 18:55   #35
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
I've been driving 24 years and in all that time have only driven in fog of less than 100m visibility a handful of times. Even in those times, front fogs don't really help any more than dipped headlights so I see them as more of a styling accessory than anything useful

Rear fogs are a different matter. I would love to see everyone who uses them incorrectly educated on their proper use as it hacks me off following someone in light rain with their rear fog glaring away at me.
This has been my experience too with the exception of one car, my long gone and beloved old E39 BMW 528. The front fogs on this were brilliant and put out what I can only describe as a 'sheet' of light down at lower bumper level. Really picked out the road ahead well. With all other cars I've owned, in thick fog (or snow) I find the front fogs just create a 'dazzle' of bright light and are almost detrimental.

Here, here with the point about misuse of rear fogs too. Why do the majority of drivers not think to turn these off when a vehicle appears behind them? They are only needed on the last vehicle in the queue.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Oct 21st, 2012 at 18:57.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 20:17   #36
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
This has been my experience too with the exception of one car, my long gone and beloved old E39 BMW 528. The front fogs on this were brilliant and put out what I can only describe as a 'sheet' of light down at lower bumper level. Really picked out the road ahead well. With all other cars I've owned, in thick fog (or snow) I find the front fogs just create a 'dazzle' of bright light and are almost detrimental.

Here, here with the point about misuse of rear fogs too. Why do the majority of drivers not think to turn these off when a vehicle appears behind them? They are only needed on the last vehicle in the queue.
Been pretty foggy round Leeds today and the amount of people without the lights, let alone foggy's, has been ridiculous. Especially grey/silver cars!

I don't know which is worse?! Not being able to see them or being blinded by the rear foglight?!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 08:25   #37
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Been pretty foggy round Leeds today and the amount of people without the lights, let alone foggy's, has been ridiculous. Especially grey/silver cars!

I don't know which is worse?! Not being able to see them or being blinded by the rear foglight?!
It goes the other way too though. It's been slightly foggy around Edinburgh and Fife this morning although you could still clearly see at least 200m all the way in but about 25% of cars driving with fogs on (mixture of front and rear). Incredibly irritating with no actual thick fog to diffuse their bright light.

Beggars belief the number of road users who haven't got a clue about the rules of use.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 10:27   #38
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
It goes the other way too though. It's been slightly foggy around Edinburgh and Fife this morning although you could still clearly see at least 200m all the way in but about 25% of cars driving with fogs on (mixture of front and rear). Incredibly irritating with no actual thick fog to diffuse their bright light.

Beggars belief the number of road users who haven't got a clue about the rules of use.
I think I actually less annoyed at people with them on in those kinds of conditions. I'd rather see them then not but it does annoy me a little that they have them on.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote