Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do brake discs really warp?...I'm not so sure they do...

Views : 5110

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2013, 11:01   #31
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

The only time I had a wobble was when the previous owner of my T5 had fitted cheap pads which left debris on the disc than caused a vibration/wobble, I change to pagid discs and pads and problem solved.

To be honest no manufacturer will cover dics/pads in a warranty as its a wear and tear item, are you sure its the dics/pads causing the issue there are various other things that can cause a wobble, tracking out, wheel not balanced, wheel with a slight buckle etc....
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 11:12   #32
damienbuckley

Yep, I'm sure.

Volvo dealer service since day 1, supposedly upgraded brake discs last two times. Starts off ok when new but then gets to the point that it's like braking on a push bike with buckled wheels - exactly as described by others here. It's done it with two entirely different sets of tyres, balanced rotated, wheel align,net correct etc etc. Volvo have tested the discs and found them to be warped, hence the replacements.

The wobble under acceleration is a separate issue and was previously resolved with a replacement of drive shafts but returned. My (unqualified) belief is that defective axle or drive shafts are causing the wheel hubs / discs to warp. Either that or the car is simply not up to operating in the Australian climate. Who knows?

There's no excuse in the world for needing to replace drive shafts, two sets of wheel hubs and three sets of discs / pads in 4 years strictly urban driving and with 56000kms - very light use.
damienbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 13:16   #33
Welton
Premier Member

Hi, I have suffered *lots* of issues with vibration but this has been fixed now.

Chiefly the main cause was out-of-shape tyres on the front.

Other issues came and went like: Wishbones, wheel balancing and a worn inner tie-rod (steering rack end).

These cars are extremely sensitive to tyres and suspension health, everything needs to be top quality and correctly aligned.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 13:40   #34
EricMe
V50 Driver

I used to use a local garage for any jobs I couldn't DIY and of course for MOTs.

Several years ago, one of my cars failed its MOT because of 'warped discs' and the garage (allegedly) replaced them. A few moths later, another of my cars suffered same thing.

The first car was taken off the road but not actually scrapped for a couple of years but was recommissioned when another one had to be scrapped. At its MOT (two years after previous one but with less than 500 extra miles on clock) it again failed on 'warped discs'. I didn't have them replaced but took the car away, stripped down brakes, cleaned & adjusted etc then took it elsewhere for its MOT which it passed without any adverse comments (as indeed it did the following year).

I am therefore convinced that at least one garage (and possibly thousands of others !) had been relying on customers' gullibility to 'diagnose' warped discs when they wanted a quick earner.

I'm not saying that the problem never happens - just that it's a very convenient way of cheating customers.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 15:32   #35
Nick Warwick

I am in the same boat at the moment with my V50 "warping" disc's every 1000 or so miles, the garage have blamed it on me driving like an idiot basically.

Something has to be wrong somewhere with these cars warping them so easily. My old Civic use to be able to take track days and a hammering around the ring and never "warp" a disc.
Nick Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 02:28   #36
damienbuckley

We finally received a written reply from Volvo Australia on these issues. In relation to the wobble under acceleration they claim that the vibration (wobble) under acceleration "is minimal and is considered to be a characteristic as it is in line with other vehicles."

This is interesting given that:
  • The Dealership has tried repeatedly to rectify this 'characteristic' including replacing drive shafts and wheel hubs.
  • At no stage in the last four years has anyone from the dealer nor Volvo Australia advised us that this is the case

In regards to the brake warping…

They have advised that "The vibration experienced whilst braking has been caused by the warping of the discs. Austral Volvo informed us that they advised you in February that your vehicle is due for rear brake discs and pads in 10,000 kms. Records show that in February front discs and hubs were fitted and you elected not to change the pads as they were half worn." and "The advice received from Austral Volvo is that the warping of the front discs has been caused by the pads not being changed at the same time as the discs and hubs. The vibration from the rear brakes is due to the need to change them which we believe you were told in February would be necessary."

The car has done a little over 6500kms since these replacements were carried out in February and at no time were we advised that the pads needed to be replaced. The rather obvious symptoms of warped brake discs as reported by others here became evident again within the first couple of months of the replacements having been done in February…

If as they claim, the brake pads needed replacing when they last replaced both the brake discs and wheel hubs, why did they not replace the brake pads?

It has been explained to me by a Volvo mechanic with 5 years experience in a Volvo dealership that the issues discussed here are a common problem across the whole platform.

Like Volvo6's account of the driving through the puddle yarn above, I've also been given obviously rehearsed yet ridiculous explanations for why brake warping could occur - in this instance by the dealer service manager and a member of Volvo Australia's 'Customer Care Team' that washing the car while it is still warm could be the cause…

Presumably Volvo's cannot be driven in the rain?

And to put a cherry on top:-

"These concerns are not caused by any manufacturing fault or defect and the repair is now at the owner’s expense. However as a gesture of goodwill, Volvo Car Australia has agreed to cover the replacement of the discs and pads. This is a once off gesture and as these are consumable items, we will not be covering these again moving forward."

So, they will no longer rectify these obvious faults.

Their response conveniently ignores entirely the fact that the brake discs have been replaced three times, wheel hubs replaced twice and the drive shafts also replaced. This is on a vehicle with a little over 56,000kms recorded.

Volvo Australia's stance on this suggests to me the following:

1) They cannot fix this problem
2) This problem is so widespread that they cannot afford to be seen to back down on it

As a large global company promoting its brand as safe, reliable, trouble-free motoring its well beyond time that Volvo acknowledge these issues and accept the responsibility of providing either permanent solutions or refunds for their vehicle owners.

Unless Volvo provides a more sensible response I'll be proceeding with a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading and will shortly begin recounting my entire ownership experience on the following website:

www.myvolvoexperience.com

Feel free to subscribe to the RSS feed or follow along on Twitter. Facebook, Google+ and other social media accounts to be linked shortly.
damienbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 10:59   #37
Nick Warwick

I hope you get a honest answer out of them damien
Nick Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote