Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cruise control

Views : 3974

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2014, 13:12   #31
sidney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Don't do it!!! Use the screw type "choccy blocks" not the snap locking scotch ones, much more reliable connection. Or better still, splice solder & heatshrink the wires in.
hi I don't want to cut the wiring plus it just to see if it works
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 13:24   #32
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
well all fitted bloody for got to get some scotchblogs lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Don't do it!!! Use the screw type "choccy blocks" not the snap locking scotch ones, much more reliable connection. Or better still, splice solder & heatshrink the wires in.
Sweet jesus no!!!! Scotchlocks and those god awful chocolate blocks should be banned. Anyone who uses them shouldn't be allowed near wiring. They aren't safe, weather proof and with scotchlocks they usually end up snapping the wire in half when you try and remove them. Ghastly things that should be banned in my opinion.

It should always be properly soldered and heat shrinked for the best contact and weather protection.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide

Last edited by Antz; Dec 10th, 2014 at 13:31.
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 13:43   #33
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Sweet jesus no!!!! Scotchlocks and those god awful chocolate blocks should be banned. Anyone who uses them shouldn't be allowed near wiring. They aren't safe, weather proof and with scotchlocks they usually end up snapping the wire in half when you try and remove them. Ghastly things that should be banned in my opinion.

It should always be properly soldered and heat shrinked for the best contact and weather protection.
I 'liked' the post because I agree about scotchblocks

however: I disagree with soldering. as by way of Youtube I've learned (via MightyCarMods) that professional loom builders never solder as soldering makes a joint brittle and over the lifetime of a car it can increase the chances of a failure.

Apparently they all use crimp connectors, applied cold so the joint can flex - and so now do I.
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 15:15   #34
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

In my experience Ive foun crimps can sometimes let go of the wire, plus they look messy. A mass of blue and red crimps littering the place.

Ive always used a good quality solder and heat shrink in my cars and even in my electric guitars. Never had a problem with the joints breaking down or becoming brittle (yet I've had loads of scotch locks and crappy crimp connectors let go)

All the wiring of the standalone ECU in my car is soldered and heat shrinked. Where there were crimps and scotchlocks they have been replaced by proper soldered joints.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 18:17   #35
sidney

now now play fair we all have our own ways of doing things plus it only a temp fix im doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidney For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 09:03   #36
sidney

hi have you got a pdf for s40 before 2000 ie around a 98 model please
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:01   #37
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
hi have you got a pdf for s40 before 2000 ie around a 98 model please
That's all there is I am afraid

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 17:00   #38
sidney

yea same as my Volvo disc then only back as far as 2000
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 20:33   #39
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I've had soldered wires snap (quite common). Problems are using too much solder and soldering a join that is subject to movement or vibration.

I've also had crimp terminals pull off, corrode or wires snap off at the crimp. Also if you solder a wire and then crimp it, the crimp tends to cut the wire!

Best bet is good quality crimp terminals and a high quality crimp tool. You are looking at the likes of durite or Wurth branded terminals. Also its important to match the terminal to the gauge of wire.

Other options are solder heatshrink terminals that you just heat with your heatshrink tool and it solders and seals in one hit.

Also available are heatshrink crimp terminals which obviously are then weather proof.
Or go all out and get yourself some econoseal type connector kits!
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 21:02   #40
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
I've had soldered wires snap (quite common). Problems are using too much solder and soldering a join that is subject to movement or vibration.

I've also had crimp terminals pull off, corrode or wires snap off at the crimp. Also if you solder a wire and then crimp it, the crimp tends to cut the wire!

Best bet is good quality crimp terminals and a high quality crimp tool. You are looking at the likes of durite or Wurth branded terminals. Also its important to match the terminal to the gauge of wire.

Other options are solder heatshrink terminals that you just heat with your heatshrink tool and it solders and seals in one hit.

Also available are heatshrink crimp terminals which obviously are then weather proof.
Or go all out and get yourself some econoseal type connector kits!
Knipex for me, Bob.

At £145 a pair, not for the DIY generalist.

I do agree that the crimp should suit the conductor size.

In our company, most connections are made through Weidmuller DIN rail mounted terminals, via insulated bootlace ferrules.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote