Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clean Windscreen

Views : 9500

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 17:47   #31
thanosgr
Thanos

This morning when i turn on the engine a massage appears at the screen:
"windscreen sensor blocked"
A leaf fell from a tree on the City safety "eyes"!
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 17:57   #32
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay clock View Post
http://www.holtsauto.com/products/it...screen-cleaner is the stuff. Spray onto a wet screen and operate wipers. Unbelievable results and removes all that winter grime. And no, I don't work for them or sell it!
You had better be right! I have just ordered some on the strength of your post!

Mind you I have also bought rubbing alcohol on the strength of wimorrison's recommendation. Only tested it on the wife's car so far and agree it is brilliant but the Xceed supertest hasn't completed all conditions - sunny days, wet days, judder test, night drive. If, and only if, it passes these tests will I allow it on the XC60!
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 18:10   #33
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

http://www.enduroshield.com/applicat...utomotive.aspx

this is the windscreen sealant i have been testing on the front screen since last year! never any let down in peformance at all 50mph and it begins beading and sheeting off it...survived multiple degreaser rinse downs to boot with no damage to performance.

as for using it on a wet screen and using wipers that is a bit silly overall, if you going to do it clean it properly it will leave a smeary mess behind if you do it properly it does not take much longer plus it leaves no untidy areas.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 19:19   #34
tem
Premier Member

Since returning from a 2700+ mile trip where I experianced smeared front and rear screens, in heavy rain, I have not determined which product to try.

I normally clean household glass with a mixture of malt vinegar and warm water and decided to try neat vinegar on the car.
So far, it seems to work.
The smearing has gone, for how long? I do not know.

tem.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 19:24   #35
coughlanc

2nd for vinegar
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 19:30   #36
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Since returning from a 2700+ mile trip where I experianced smeared front and rear screens, in heavy rain, I have not determined which product to try.

I normally clean household glass with a mixture of malt vinegar and warm water and decided to try neat vinegar on the car.
So far, it seems to work.
The smearing has gone, for how long? I do not know.

tem.
I have not had smearing for ages i rarely use wipers in the rain as it beads off...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 21:23   #37
WABB
Volvo Owner

Bar Keepers Friend is the answer - all is clear now. £2.48 from B & Q.
Well done Hairy Monster!!
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WABB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:40   #38
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABB View Post
Bar Keepers Friend is the answer - all is clear now. £2.48 from B & Q.
Well done Hairy Monster!!
For a long time, I too have been looking for something to get rid of an annoying smear on the XC60 windscreen.

AG glass polish quite good - but left annoying wiper trail...

White vinegar and water did not remove the smear. Tried it with scrunched up newspaper but still no solution.

IPA Rubbing Solution worked great on the wife's car but not the XC60

Holts Mixra - quite good but did not shift the smear.

And then today - Bar Keepers Friends. Brilliant result - smear gone, crystal clear screen, no trails, smooth wiper operation!

(For those who haven't used it, you first wash the screen. Shake the BKF powder onto a damp MF cloth to make a paste and then work into the screen. You must swill off liberally to get rid of the residue outside the wiper sweep.)

Great result at last. Thanks Hairy Monster and all those who recommended it...
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 21:39   #39
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Have been travelling past few days and the dreaded smearing started to appear again on the screen and given the current weather I want to be able to see clearly, especially at night in the rain.

I didn't have any of my favourite IPA to hand, but the mother-in-law did have some Brasso and given what people are saying about BKF I thought I should give a whirl.

I worked perfecty and once again I now have a squeaky clean windcsreen. I think that it would be safe to use Brasso, Duraglit, silver polish or Perspex polish as they are all mild polishing abrasives, exactly the same as BKF. In fact you could probably use toothpaste as that is also a mild abrasive!

Thanks for tip, would never have thought to try it, but it worked 100%
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 15:19   #40
Stevepvolvo

I appreciate this is an old thread but having just returned from a 3,500 miles trip across Europe with the dreaded smear problem resulting in me having to leave the motorway during a heavy rain storm in the dark I am interested in whether anyone who posted on this found their solution was a long term one as many of the remedies I have tried and they are all short term.
The problem is a spotted patterning that then smears that looks like a form of water repellent and it obscures the view. It only occurs when the wipers are on their return trip. The pattern is noticeable in daylight enough to cause reduced vision in the rain but in the dark severely reduces visibility.
Prior to my Europe road trip I tried over a 3 month period of researching forums:
1) New Volvo wiper blades
2) Bosch anti smear wiper blades
3) back to another new pair of Volvo wiper blades
4) vinegar
5) fairy washing up liquid
6) bar keepers friend
7) methylated spirit
8) Jif scouring cream
9) Ceramic hob cleaner
10) Spray on window cleaner
11) Holts Mixra
12) flushing and replacing the washer fluid
13) Rainex
I clean the edges of the blades during each test so that they leave no black marks on a cloth to ensure that they are not part of the problem.
The "best" solution is the holts mixra but this lasts approx. 10 mins before the smears are back.
When washing the car as you wipe the screen with a wet cloth you can see the pattern emerging.
So somewhat exasperated and not looking forward to another wet winter driving in the dark.
Any help would be much appreciated
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote