Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Antiskid + Brake failure stop safely - Error expert needed!

Views : 24763

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2014, 21:14   #31
danc

Being temperature related seems quite likely - it's only ever happened in two scenarios:

22+ degrees outside, 20+ min driving time... then

1) Sudden traffic queue, stop, brakes on and off as traffic rolls forward, limp mode from lifting foot off brake (10 times so far, once with DEM fuse out)

2) Fast overtake, kick-down accelerator, possible braking afterwards, limp mode shortly afterwards (this scenario only happened once)

Do either of the ECM, TCM or BCM have fan-based cooling systems which are susceptible to failure?
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 09:01   #32
danc

In another recent post, I mentioned the sound of clicking relays on braking coming from the car boot. On investigation, I tracked it down to a 7-way Towing Electrics kit.

The noise was only more noticeable recently because I'd removed some of the boot liner to access the battery and REM fuse box.

It's a long shot but could the towing kit be the source of my problem?

The cables are soldered directly into the lighting cables for brakes, indicators and lights. Plus, one of the errors logged was "BCM 0150 Stop (brake) lamp switch Signal outside its permitted range".

For now, I've removed the power fuse to the unit just in case.

I've found only one other reference on Google and, of course, may be able rule it out tonight if limp mode kicks in again.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 21:59   #33
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yes, any add on wiring bits can cause major issues if not fitted correctly.

If you have any add on stuff it would be worth isolating to check.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 18:28   #34
bandit1200s

Nearly 9 months I have had problems related to this. BBA Reman tested my old BCM and diagnosed it as faulty and then proceeded to send me an uncompatabile replacement. I have just fitted a compatable BCM today from EVOLV Parts that I was assured that it would plug and play and the ABS would go out. WELL IT NEVER. I have had my DIM and CEM tested by VolvoDiagnostics and they passed. Tomorrow I am going to buy a volt meter and join in. I expect this will sort it as my OBD11 connector I got with a Torque app wont talk to the volvo but it will talk to my old citroen C15 van.

Cant wait
bandit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 18:48   #35
KBB
Master Tech

Have you had the ABS codes read. If you have a cheap reader it will unlikely be able to communicate with BCM but should comm with ECM.

If it will not connect with ECM then you may have a network issue. If you can get the BCM codes read with a decent reader.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 19:08   #36
bandit1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Have you had the ABS codes read. If you have a cheap reader it will unlikely be able to communicate with BCM but should comm with ECM.

If it will not connect with ECM then you may have a network issue. If you can get the BCM codes read with a decent reader.
I had a test done at Volvo last year and nearly every fault code came up. I have had the whole wiring loom from under the bonnet out and dried. THE ECM cleaned and all the other bits as previously mentioned. Problem is that it has now passed its MOT date so I cant even drive it to Volvo to have another test done. I even bought a VIDA DIce from China but that would not install on my laptop correctly so that had to go back.

My gilfriend bought it off a friend because she liked it, say no more
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:51   #37
bandit1200s

Just bought a new test meter and these are my results

Resistance between CAN high and CAN low
Pins 6 : 14 = 118.6

CAN high
Pins 6 : 4 = 2.5v
Pins 6 : 5 = 2.5v

CAN low
Pins 14 : 4 = 2.36v
Pins 14 : 5 = 2.36v

I do hope that you can help me out with this
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 18:36   #38
KBB
Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1200s View Post
Just bought a new test meter and these are my results

Resistance between CAN high and CAN low
Pins 6 : 14 = 118.6

CAN high
Pins 6 : 4 = 2.5v
Pins 6 : 5 = 2.5v

CAN low
Pins 14 : 4 = 2.36v
Pins 14 : 5 = 2.36v

I do hope that you can help me out with this
Your resistance values between DLC pin 6 & 14 are a text book open circuit on one leg of the network. Can you confirm that this test was conducted with the battery disconnected?
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 19:49   #39
bandit1200s

The battery had had the black lead crossed over to the red side to discharge the whole system overnight before I tested it. The results are with the battery disconnected.

Just so you know, I have got a replacement BCM module on the vehicle. It is the same serial number as the original but not the original as a repair company lost my original.

Last edited by bandit1200s; Aug 4th, 2014 at 19:57.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 20:34   #40
KBB
Master Tech

Give me some time and I will put together a proposed test plan this will involve disconnecting every ECU on the high speed network so give yourself a couple of hours test time.

Can you confirm vehicle, fuel type and year. Engine code would be helpful. What are you like with a test meter and working with wiring diagrams?

Last edited by KBB; Aug 4th, 2014 at 20:38.