Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First long run

Views : 3149

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2022, 17:57   #31
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Nobody needs to drive at that speed on a public road, period. Other road users are the issue. And at that speed you're dying in an accident, irrespective of what the manufacturer claims!

I think you'll find it will become standard across all makes eventually, although no idea where they got 112 from?
Modern cars can stop in the wet far, far quicker than a much lighter MkIII Ford Cortina could do in the dry - 70mph was apparently safe back then - so why isn't a faster speed safe now? Not just the advanced braking systems and giant leap in tyre performance, we have airbags, crumple zones all sorts of active and passive systems. 70mph speed limit is just a joke - you should be able to go far faster where traffic conditions allow.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 19:23   #32
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvocano View Post
Modern cars can stop in the wet far, far quicker than a much lighter MkIII Ford Cortina could do in the dry - 70mph was apparently safe back then - so why isn't a faster speed safe now? Not just the advanced braking systems and giant leap in tyre performance, we have airbags, crumple zones all sorts of active and passive systems. 70mph speed limit is just a joke - you should be able to go far faster where traffic conditions allow.
Because doing so burns a lot more fuel.

Because road deaths are a lot lower than they were when we all drove Cortinas.

Because traffic is a lot heaver than it was 50 years ago.

Because we are not that much out of kilter with the rest of the world who broadly have motorway speed limits of between 60 and 80.

Because there aren't many votes in it.

Because the standard of lane discipline on the UK motorways is pretty p155 poor.

Because, because, because.....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 21:05   #33
vonRypp

I really don't understand the whining around the speed limit. I am occasionally travelling through continental Europe and I am happy if I can travel more than 20 minutes on the speed limit without bumping into a traffic jam caused by an overtaking lorry or a grandma driving in the inner lane. I used to have several performance vehicles: Supercharged Jaguar XJRs, V8/V12 BMW 7-series, sportscar, etc. It was fun, but the world has changed and I got used to the "slower" traffic and to be honest, I don't miss those days anymore.

Driving at 112 mph vs 140 mph for 150 miles makes only 15 minutes difference, given you could maintain that speed for an hour, which is impossible even on the German autobahn.

Just face it, you are not even able to drive at 112 mph for longer than 5-10 mins, why bother with higher speeds? Purchase a day-ticket at the Nordschleife and rent a performance car to blow off the steam instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to vonRypp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 21:05   #34
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Someone on one of the American forums said using B uses more fuel. That you can't coast properly. I told him he was talking %^£&£& and that in B mode, when you lift off and get regen the engine stops. I think the Muricans are having trouble understanding what Hybrid means lol
Some people don't understand the huge energy loses involved in trading valuable kinetic energy for regenerated power - If your retardation is intentional - ie you are coming to a halt, going downhill and want to hold your speed or intend to slow down - then that's free energy. If you are on a flat road and are modulating the "throttle" to stay with the ebb and flow of traffic then B is costing you valuable kinetic energy, energy you've bought and paid for through several inefficient chemical processes to get to that speed - invoking regen will probably recoup perhaps 10% of that energy to the battery and only about 40% of that 10% will make it out the other side as motive force once it's gone through the various loses to be stored chemically only to be turned back into motive force when you attempt the conversion back the other way by pressing the l̶o̶u̶d̶ quiet pedal.

I flick it into "B" when I'm approaching a braking point - that said, gentle application of the brake pedal achieves exactly the same aim as the brakes won't be applied for gentle brake pedal inputs - it'll just be increasing regen. So coasting in "pure" mode is more efficient than inadvertently slowing down because you are in "B" and you've let the accelerator pedal off too much for the situation - throwing kinetic energy away that you are just going to expensively recoup by pressing the accelerator pedal needlessly.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 21:14   #35
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Simply put, too many **** drivers otr who play trolley rage with 2 tons of car and also drive 2 ft off the bonnet vision wise and seem to think mirrors, side & back windows are for the sole use of the passengers.

I wanna tell ya a story...

Back in the 1980's when I had my own lane on the M25 I was contently bumbling along in the inside lane at the speed limit or possibly just over it when to my right hand shoulder I sensed a huge dragon approaching, it was a big ass Merc lorry and as I looked up I could see the driver bouncing up and down in his seat to the tune of the speed he was doing and the undulations in the road, ah but there's more!, as he left me and I mean left me he had another trailer on the back, so effectively two curtain-siders going past me at an estimated 90 mph.

The Achilles of a car is always going to be the driver and don't get me started about driveless, one chip burnout and you have a pile up, the whole idea is about as smart as a smart motorway, the semi features are as far as we should go with it imo, my S90 used to brake and steer for me, for the most it worked well as long as I still had control so to speak, so a hand on the wheel that didn't resist where the car wanted to go unless it saw a chevron and assumed we we're getting off at this junction whether I wanted to or not and a foot covering the brake in case it simply lost a ref point and turned off at the most dangerous moment. Don't start me off about City Safe......Dillliiiid Dillliiiid! everybody through the window.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 23:57   #36
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Now I know the A30 is a bit up and down, compared to the M5/M42/M1, but that is quite a difference.....
I bet 90% of that is the A30. It results in a profound change in MPG in anything I've taken on that route.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 08:01   #37
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I bet 90% of that is the A30. It results in a profound change in MPG in anything I've taken on that route.

cheers

James
Thanks for the feedback. It is not a route I had driven for years so was quite surprised - in fact I was worried something was wrong with the car at first as the fuel consumption was just dropping....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: