Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 V70 with 7 inch Screen - Any upgrades available

Views : 2424

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2023, 22:18   #31
ele288

Not sure about v70 but v40 had dab in rear window. There is another box to replace on the pillar, the one you have it's 2 plugs for fm, and the one for dab has different colour. The whole kit with looms and all parts for v40 at the dealer are £150, one loom separately is over a 100. I was trying what you trying and it was cheaper to get retrofit kit for 150
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 11:58   #32
bluebossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Not sure about v70 but v40 had dab in rear window. There is another box to replace on the pillar, the one you have it's 2 plugs for fm, and the one for dab has different colour. The whole kit with looms and all parts for v40 at the dealer are £150, one loom separately is over a 100. I was trying what you trying and it was cheaper to get retrofit kit for 150
Yeah, it's a pain in the rear trying to fathom it all out...

Meanwhile I did some research/surfing and found a couple of external DAB units - one called an "AutoDAB" doesn't seem to be available any more but looked just the ticket - plugs into USB but was £150 - is that what you used?

Then there is the Pure Car units 200/400/600 range from £50 to £100 but I don't really want another screen.

So I've ordered a Chinese DAB to USB receiver which for £50 may or may not work... it plugs into the USB port... should hide away in the centre console and if it works and does what it promises should be scrollable from the USB Menu - pictured attached but we'll see.

Meanwhile wonder what that second box is.. I've got the main DAB unit now sitting on my Bench... I've also got an XC60 with DAB on the drive, wondering if I could learn from that... wife doesn't even know it's got DAB in it, so maybe I nick it for my V70!

Meanwhile I'm going to try and track down the Cabling... Fibre/Aerial and Power... not sure if it will even plug into my existing loom though? Thanks for your help so far - I'll keep after it as it's an intriguing project and if I crack it may help others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAB+ Adaptor.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DAB Unit 31409953.jpg (156.7 KB, 3 views)
Previous - XC90 V8 Executive, V70 P1, S90 Inscription
bluebossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 13:42   #33
bluebossa

Default FAKRA and DAB v DVB-T Aerial Cables

So - just had another little Gander - took a photo of all the connections going into the V70's Rear DVB-T Box behind the Back Seat.

It has MOST Fibre - orange
Two DVB-T Aerials (why 2?) - One Brown One Green
Another Green Connector - not sure what this is?
Plus Power/Earth

I'm plotting to loop these into the DAB Box.

Would either of the DVB-T connectors be a suitable Aerial for DAB?
Or would I need to install an aftermarket DAB Window Aerial such as this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185950951...Bk9SR5zPupu9Yg

Also just purchased a MOST LOOP connector with 2 Male 1 Female Plus - would this do the trick to put my DAB Unit in series with the DVB-T

I'm really not fussed about TV in the Car but still need a bit of expert Guidance from those that know?

Pics attached - thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVB-T Connectors.jpg (117.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg FAKRA Colour Codes.jpg (112.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MOST Cable Loop.jpg (1.6 KB, 19 views)
Previous - XC90 V8 Executive, V70 P1, S90 Inscription
bluebossa is offline   Reply With Quote