Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance - a heartfelt warning!

Views : 4433

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:31   #31
kenny
Master Member

I'm sorry but I feel There is something not quite right with this post by a new member that only joined today 13/4/15 but claims to have been a long time lurker making his first post. This incident happened 2 months ago and he has been right through the claims procedure with his insurer and an appeal with the ombudsman. All seams a bit to quick for me plus some of the claimed action by the insurance company sound to far fetched. This sounds like an over the top thread by someone with a grudge.

That said it a good topic. Anyone who doesn't declared everything these days is taking a big chance, gone are the days when you can just say oh it's just a basic Capri when it is in fact a Ghia.
I have just insured a brand new Mini Cooper D, I have had to declare every optional extra even though they were all factory fitted, they are classed as modifications. The car has a Chilli pack which gives it a massive amount of extra kit but these are classed as standard to the chilli spec. A basic mini comes with 15" steel wheels as standard, the Chilli pack Comes with 16" alloy wheels. These are classed as standard to that model however we opted for 17". This is a modification as are the bonnet stripes, LED headlights, tinted rear windows, auto dimming rear mirror and a load more things. I had to get the price of every extra took me about 2 hours but with out doing this I would have lied when drawing up the contract between my insurer and I. Calling this fraud is a bit strong, this is one of the suspect claims in the post but it certainly would be breach of contract and enough to decline a claim.
If I was at fault my insurer would by law need to settle any third party claim but could then recover this from me due to my breach of contract. If I crashed the car and there were no third party claims they could simply return my premium and decline to pay out.

Last edited by kenny; Apr 13th, 2015 at 20:38.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:39   #32
Blue 8
Premier Member

I too don't really understand this thread it's not for me to call out the op but it does sound a bit far fetched.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:51   #33
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
His statement.
A family friend who has always worked in insurance has helped me to appeal this via Admiral and the ombudsman, but to no avail

Is there more to this than stated?

Be quite forcefull mate don't give in until youre satisfied or a compromise has at least been reached, the aa my insurance company aswel towed my car the wrong way and tore my bumper off I kicked up merry hell after weeks of being thrown to this pillar that pillar, I got in touch with the chief executive in the end after half hour chat on the phone he said take it in to a body shop and get it done, also I got my aa recovery for £10 everything thrown in as a way of a apology. Boy was I spitting feathers because they charged me nearly £200 that night for mis fuelling also for tearing my bumper out. It wasn't a aa patrol someone they ship it out too.

We don't complain enough in Britain lol, I also did it on a train journey years back now they stuffed the train journey up left is stranded and a woman I was chatting too said complain which I duly did I got free rail tickets to anywhere in Britain and a free lunch in the buffet car lol. Ever since then I have taken her advice and if I'm not satisfied I complain like mad pays off. We are bought up not to make a fuss but big huge company's don't miss things

Last edited by kieran40; Apr 13th, 2015 at 20:59.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 21:00   #34
FIREBOLT
Master Member

Hope everyone has declared their Mintex discs & pads or any other patent part like an exhaust from Kwik-fit, as they are not OEM!

Last edited by FIREBOLT; Apr 13th, 2015 at 21:03.
FIREBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FIREBOLT For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 21:27   #35
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBOLT View Post
Hope everyone has declared their Mintex discs & pads or any other patent part like an exhaust from Kwik-fit, as they are not OEM!
I'm REALLY panicking now!

My S60 had Belgian compressed air in the tyres at the factory and I've stupidly been running on English compressed air.
I'm going to turn myself in.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 21:34   #36
FIREBOLT
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I'm REALLY panicking now!

My S60 had Belgian compressed air in the tyres at the factory and I've stupidly been running on English compressed air.
I'm going to turn myself in.
I'm also worried about my undeclared Magic tree!
FIREBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FIREBOLT For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 21:52   #37
tt82
Forum Support Team

How many of you guys are using Tyres other than what where fitted at the time of manufacture or sale. I know those models of tyre will be discontinued now, but still......

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 22:06   #38
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Not me Simon lol I'm on low profiles and after market alloys I also have a magic tree and a England air freshner lol, you would have thought a alloy wheel is a alloy wheel unless you went mad and put 22 inch rims on or something but anything up to 17 I can't see the issue.

Where do roof racks etc come in because my car was never sold with any but I have acquired a genuine set of volvo x40 ones since. They bolt on lol

Last edited by kieran40; Apr 13th, 2015 at 22:09.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 22:14   #39
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
Did you get that in writing? I wouldn't rely on what someone in a call centre told me when the website completely contradicts it. If your insurance paperwork notes that you have an aftermarket stereo then fair enough.
Skyship I presume
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 13:02   #40
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The odd thing about this report is not just the stereo, it's the fraud claim. I kind of think that the OP might have upset Admiral by challenging the rejected claim with the oversight chaps. There was no basis for doing that, as they were well within their rights due to the tyre size not being listed in the owners manual.

Some insurance companies are very agressive in countering complaints against them. When challenged or insulted over the phone (It's recorded), they sometimes fire back by digging into the claim in a real picky manner.

Cheap insurance companies are cheap for a reason and one of them is because they reject a lot of claims. They also seem to pick on owners of sport models or cars that appear sporty in mods terms and some companies will even report RTA violations like bald tyres to the Police. They also check to see if items like a stereo are stolen from the part number and bar code.

It's worth remembering that what an insurance company say over the phone does not really matter much, it's what they write down in a letter or company registered e mail that counts.

The definitions list in the fine print of an Admiral policy seems to be fairly mean in terms of defining what is or is not a mod. Unfortunately very few owners that indulge in modding ever read it.
Most Germans including myself do try and avoid cheap insurance companies and use their own bank. Alas they only produce a sensible quote if they know you and you live locally, so I did you AXA for a while. I've never heard of anyone having a claim rejected for silly reasons by a German bank, although most Germans tend to avoid fitting anything non standard, or even doing basic servicing and are real good at collecting receipts.

Every owner should keep a file of receipts for parts or garage bills, so if you buy parts from Fleabay, just print out the "Suitable for x" from their web site.

PS: The mods will know if this is a sock puppet from the IP.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 14th, 2015 at 15:33.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote