Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garmin Nuvi 3790 Sat Nav From Volvo?

Views : 7068

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 19:19   #31
mikealder
VOC Member

What software version is your 3790T running as it might be worth updating it by connecting it to the Garmin Web Updater software, as i recal one of the updates since I purchased my unit was to update something to do with the RDS unit.

Last time I was up North (Lossie) I got no traffic data North of somewhere around Perth, that said you don't get many hold ups in comparison to the cluttered roads around Manchester, Birmingham and London. I actually smile at the end of the M55 when I turn left and head North, the further you go the better the scenery and quieter the roads seem to be, weather can be an issue though in winter, got stuck on the A9 back in 1997.

Best of luck with the RDS unit but in the meantime enjoy the 3D screen of the Garmin unit, looks stunning in the highlands - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 19:21   #32
mikealder
VOC Member

It should work in Europe as well as the UK although it won't use Traffic Master on Mainland Europe, the subscriptions listed on the device should tell you which other companies traffic data is employed, about 7 or 8 different ones as I remember - Mike
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 19:31   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Mike,

Do you know if this TMC unit will work in Europe, or will it be limited to the UK.

Thank you.

tem.
If you look in SUBSCRIPTIONS you should find accounts for various countries in europe
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 19:40   #34
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you look in SUBSCRIPTIONS you should find accounts for various countries in europe
Will look into this, but I may need a full connection?
I do more miles in Europe, than the UK.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 19:55   #35
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
What software version is your 3790T running as it might be worth updating it by connecting it to the Garmin Web Updater software, as i recal one of the updates since I purchased my unit was to update something to do with the RDS unit.

Last time I was up North (Lossie) I got no traffic data North of somewhere around Perth, that said you don't get many hold ups in comparison to the cluttered roads around Manchester, Birmingham and London. I actually smile at the end of the M55 when I turn left and head North, the further you go the better the scenery and quieter the roads seem to be, weather can be an issue though in winter, got stuck on the A9 back in 1997.

Best of luck with the RDS unit but in the meantime enjoy the 3D screen of the Garmin unit, looks stunning in the highlands - Mike
I have carried out two updates.
The maps took nearly 3.5 hours to download and install.

Software Version 4.50
Maps
CN Europe NTU 2012.20 3D
CN Europe NTU 2012.20 ALL
Traffic Trends Europe 4.25

I note, for around £75, one can get Lifetime Updates (4 times a year), this is surely better that the £280 for a set of DVD's, once a year. Unless, one has the free update package.

The 3D map is very good and I have found the route recalculation, to be faster than the Volvo factory installed system.
Down side - the screen is smaller.

tem.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 21:35   #36
mikealder
VOC Member

As far as I am aware 4,50 is the latest software release for the device so you won't have an issue with the RDS not re-connecting, this bug was fixed late last year.

The lifetime maps are worth considering, a one shot payment to get four new maps per year for the life of the product, its certainly cheaper than a set of DVDs for the built in system.

One other accessory for the Garmin is the EcoHD, it plugs in to the cars OBD-II port and sends car related data to the sat nav, you can use it as a fault code diagnostic tool or simply switch the screen from mapping to a digital dash with instruments updating in near real time:

Old Oct 28th, 2011, 10:56   #37
tem
Premier Member

[QUOTE=mikealder;1012901]As far as I am aware 4,50 is the latest software release for the device so you won't have an issue with the RDS not re-connecting, this bug was fixed late last year.

The lifetime maps are worth considering, a one shot payment to get four new maps per year for the life of the product, its certainly cheaper than a set of DVDs for the built in system.

One other accessory for the Garmin is the EcoHD, it plugs in to the cars OBD-II port and sends car related data to the sat nav, you can use it as a fault code diagnostic tool or simply switch the screen from mapping to a digital dash with instruments updating in near real time:

Are there any conflicts with bluetooth?

I have the Sat Nav bluetooth switched off as I use my phone connected to the cars bluetooth system and wonder if using the EcoHD and Sat Nav bluetooth at the same time would cause any problems?

tem.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 12:42   #38
mikealder
VOC Member

No issue with using multiple Bluetooth in the same car, I have my iPhone linked to the cars BT system for audio streaming, music track control and handsfree, this uses three different Bluetooth protocols:

A2DP (Audio Streaming)
HFP (Hands Free)
AVRCP (Music track control)

In the same car is the Garmin connected to the EcoHD via Bluetooth which uses the SPP (Serial Port Profile) so there are no conflicts, everything works fine - Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 18:00   #39
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
I have carried out two updates.
The maps took nearly 3.5 hours to download and install.

Software Version 4.50
Maps
CN Europe NTU 2012.20 3D
CN Europe NTU 2012.20 ALL
Traffic Trends Europe 4.25

I note, for around £75, one can get Lifetime Updates (4 times a year), this is surely better that the £280 for a set of DVD's, once a year. Unless, one has the free update package.

The 3D map is very good and I have found the route recalculation, to be faster than the Volvo factory installed system.
Down side - the screen is smaller.

tem.
Software Version updated to 4.60.
Map Update to 2012.30.
Took all of 3 hours 50 min, to download and install.

This is the second (free) map update, since 29th September 2011.

tem.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 18:21   #40
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Software Version updated to 4.60.
Map Update to 2012.30.
Took all of 3 hours 50 min, to download and install.

This is the second (free) map update, since 29th September 2011.

tem.
I wasn't aware that the roads had changed much in your area since General Wade built them in the 1730s let alone in 2 months
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: