Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New software car update

Views : 7438

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:01   #31
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
i got this, is it the updated icon?
don’t recall ready
Yes it is.
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 01:40   #32
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
My V90 d4 which I recently acquired, was first registered in March 2017.

Regarding the updates - Do I have to wait until the next service is required before having them installed, wait until I am notified, or contact the nearest Volvo dealer now?

I am considering having Polestar installed but if these updates make a significant difference, then I may not bother.
First of all no one will notify you. Don't expect that as no dealer does such thing. Volvo speech is all about updates being installed when next service is required. But you can ask them to do it i guess, it depends from dealer to dealer.

For example my dealer... if i show up without an appointment and ask for updates to be installed, probably they will do it but i do have to wait because other cars are ahead of me precisely because they do have an appointment scheduled up. I might wait all day or even being told my car can't be updated on that day. Of course i will not wait all day, i have more to do in my life than waiting hours at my dealer. So i always call them to make an appointment. And then i always use some pretext. If updates were paid i would just bring my car to the dealer, installation would be made and i would just pay and go home. But because updates are free i understand that they can't have clients coming there and asking them to install updates everyday, endlessly.

So for example... my service was two weeks ago. At the time October update wasn't available. And they forgot to reset and set new service notification requirement. So i will wait until another update comes in, hopefully November or December and with the pretext of setting new service requirement notification (doesn't bother me at all for now) I'll ask them to install also updates. And i might even wait Adblue is ending to go there another time, fulfill tank and therefore ask them to install another update available at the time being, for example in the beginning of next year.

About October updates making a considerable change, a significant difference for better, i can't tell you because as i said above, still don't have them.

Polestar offers you more than slight improvements in the engine command and transmission. I guess you know that already 👍😉

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Oct 5th, 2019 at 02:46.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 09:32   #33
Deman77
Master Member

Volvo software brochure says £55 to get car software update that’s not during service.
My dealer tried to charge 110 early this year.
If you are in warranty and really really do not want to pay (I think it’s worth it) just find something that doesn’t work quite right. Sporadically slow indicator, not listening to voice commands, funny triggering of park assist, system resetting. The first thing they do is update to latest software.

I have to say the D5 and gearbox changes from the one I got this week (assuming July) are just fantastic. Tho low end revs so much easier - it’s like turbo got smaller and spools up much quicker. The gearbox is not hesitating and is in the right gear off/on throttle. I felt no need to override gears in dynamic - normally I do. Now it may not be the same for people with later cars - mine is pre pp and was particularly laggy at the bottom of revs range and low speeds but I think gearbox was rubbish match for all D5s.
It felt like a real waste because engine has all that torque higher up just had to slow (or too big) a turbo and laggy gearbox. Now it feels like it should have been from the start.
Now if only they could improve the idling noise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:55   #34
WilleCoyote

My 69 plate V90 is being delivered on 21 October. It's a leased vehicle so I don't know who the supplying dealer is. Can I be confident that the latest software updates will be installed?
WilleCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 15:33   #35
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleCoyote View Post
My 69 plate V90 is being delivered on 21 October. It's a leased vehicle so I don't know who the supplying dealer is. Can I be confident that the latest software updates will be installed?
Yes. Independently of which dealer you will choose to make your car's service, they will install updates. To check if you have the latest updates you can guide yourself through here :

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 15:44   #36
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Volvo software brochure says £55 to get car software update that’s not during service.
My dealer tried to charge 110 early this year.
If you are in warranty and really really do not want to pay (I think it’s worth it) just find something that doesn’t work quite right. Sporadically slow indicator, not listening to voice commands, funny triggering of park assist, system resetting. The first thing they do is update to latest software.

I have to say the D5 and gearbox changes from the one I got this week (assuming July) are just fantastic. Tho low end revs so much easier - it’s like turbo got smaller and spools up much quicker. The gearbox is not hesitating and is in the right gear off/on throttle. I felt no need to override gears in dynamic - normally I do. Now it may not be the same for people with later cars - mine is pre pp and was particularly laggy at the bottom of revs range and low speeds but I think gearbox was rubbish match for all D5s.
It felt like a real waste because engine has all that torque higher up just had to slow (or too big) a turbo and laggy gearbox. Now it feels like it should have been from the start.
Now if only they could improve the idling noise.
ooh i didn't know that. I thought it was always for free honest to God... even outside service period. My fault. I only have my car for 1 year now and first time i have a Volvo. But in these 12 months, all the times i went there ( two or three times) and asked them to update software, they did it.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 08:04   #37
Kenp8257

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
ooh i didn't know that. I thought it was always for free honest to God... even outside service period. My fault. I only have my car for 1 year now and first time i have a Volvo. But in these 12 months, all the times i went there ( two or three times) and asked them to update software, they did it.
My two nearest dealers advised that a software update is done free of charge when serviced by them (which it has been).

However to do a customer requested software update outside of this costs £130!!

That said, yesterday the car had to going for a warranty button pack replacement (right side of steering wheel) and by default they did a software update first....

I now have Connected Safety and the start stop icon on the rev counter (unless deactivated in sensus menu)

Ken
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenp8257 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 09:46   #38
sdenner

I tried to get Stoneacre Sheffield Volvo to do the software update at the 3 month check and they refused. I know other dealers have done it at this check.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 09:53   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleCoyote View Post
Yes , it is part of the PDI Process together with the maps . however the Maps are your responsibility from there on ...
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 09:54   #40
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenp8257 View Post
My two nearest dealers advised that a software update is done free of charge when serviced by them (which it has been).

However to do a customer requested software update outside of this costs £130!!

That said, yesterday the car had to going for a warranty button pack replacement (right side of steering wheel) and by default they did a software update first....

I now have Connected Safety and the start stop icon on the rev counter (unless deactivated in sensus menu)

Ken
Lol, yet another button pack replacement, how come we are seeing so many of these on the forum at the same time?

My dealer had my car for the day last week to do this but they didn't do a software update. They did clean the car, but I would have preferred a software update!

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: