Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

key reprograming

Views : 18039

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 19:06   #31
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Frankly, for that sort of money, I can't be bothered ringing them back, third software or not! :-)

I've never lost a key in my life, and there's only me who drives, so only need one.

My dad frequently mislays his spare around the house, so I reckon two keys is a false economy anyway ;-)

untill the fob packs up maybe,, or you loose the 1 and only key ,,
look into the cost of getting the car transported to the dealer and the £ of replacing All thats needed if/when you loose the 1 and only key,,,
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 19:49   #32
Volvoline
Master Member

If you lose a Fob, just call Volvo and order a new one by phone.
They have you car's fob data and they will make a key and fob from scratch without working on your car physcailly.

At least thats how it is in Audi.

Why would one buy 2 fobs at once ....
Volvoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 21:47   #33
andy_d
Premier Member

its a Volvo not an audi

do you Know how the volvo fob/key are coded ?

no, its clear you dont

1 they do not code the fob to the car, they code the CAR to the fob,,
2 they Need the car at the dealership to do it,
3 they need to connect the CAR to their equipment In the dealership, connect to volvo HQ and get the info from there, codes From the fobs , input to Car and hq sweeden.

now, ,you tell me how thats like "audi"...

there is More than enough bull**** and confusion about s/v40 keys and fobs about without you adding any more to it.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 22:03   #34
Volvoline
Master Member

Fine - Still I ask why buy another key and not settle for one ? Towing is free if you are insured.

And relax, child.
This isn't a Ford Fiesta modding forum.

Last edited by Volvoline; Sep 14th, 2011 at 22:22.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 22:15   #35
Dog_Book
Idiot

damn i just found my popcorn

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 22:27   #36
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
Fine - Still I ask why buy another key and not settle for one ? Towing is free if you are insured.

And relax, child.
This isn't a Ford Fiesta modding forum.

no wonder a Lot of folk who really know s/v40s dont post anymore with you pair and that attitude about,,
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 22:38   #37
Volvoline
Master Member

Let me tell you right now my friend that no one here is a a world known expert in S40's, everybody here have this car and gained some knowledge from taking care of it just like me and you.

More than a few times the "experts" here were wrong and I solved the problem with an experienced PHYSICAL mechanic near my car.
Not because the online expert is not good, it's because it's ONLINE !

Even you, once adviced me to buy a used fob off ebay, I got it, and dealer said it was useless.
Even you suggested once my VVT pulley is dead, but it's not.

Was I rude and offensive like you ? No, I knew your opinion was better than nothing, and I knew it was all for free.

On an internet forum, nobody can be an expert.
The fact that you think experts can solve problems online is a disgrace to the entire field of Mechanics.
It's like pimping some Doctor to start solving problems online without the patient or tests or equipment

Serious people, who work in the field, will not just freely post here trying to solve your problems because professionals don't E-Solve car problems without the car.

Conclusion: Relax, lighten up, and realize that it is just an online forum.
In fact, this entire thread can be trashed with one dealer phone call... So basically your anger and aggressiveness is all for free.

Attitude is a bad argument coming from you because it's always relative to the man speaking .
I can say the same about your attitude, but it's only my point of view, so no winners.

Now to the technology side.
regarding of the "quality" of internet forums.
Anything that is offered Free, will draw more crowd with more chance of basic, uneducated questions and answers. Not their fault, as we are each at a different stage of learning. But the forum's fault/greatness.

On one hand, free forums will have larger information archive, but some of the info will inevitably be non-quality
On the other hand: paid forums will have very little information, mostly quality, but still mostly social talk.

The greatness of this forum and many others is in it's free access, member count and activity.
Don't fight it, accept it.

Hope you understand and that you will not ban my future questions/answers

Last edited by Volvoline; Sep 14th, 2011 at 22:54.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:23   #38
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
untill the fob packs up maybe,, or you loose the 1 and only key ,,
look into the cost of getting the car transported to the dealer and the £ of replacing All thats needed if/when you loose the 1 and only key,,,
I don't need to, I'm insured against loss of keys. You'd already know that if you read my post just above it in this thread, and not just snapped at the one that got your back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
Hope you understand and that you will not ban my future questions/answers
Even I knew you were wrong and I'm no expert - it helps to read up a bit on here and find out if you're talking rubbish before making a suggestion that you think might help but has already been suggested & debunked (and in this case already explained in very simple terms) elsewhere.

I'm a toffee Butterkist man btw.

Last edited by baldmosher; Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:51.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 18:51   #39
triceeb43

Default Program 2001 S80 Volvo Remote

HI

I found the thread for the other Volvo's. Does anyone have the instructions to program a remote for a 2001 s80?
triceeb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 21:04   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triceeb43 View Post
HI

I found the thread for the other Volvo's. Does anyone have the instructions to program a remote for a 2001 s80?
It has to be done at the dealer with software , or a good independant with the volvo gear . compare prices first .