Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Android Auto

Views : 4392

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 08:49   #31
Jcbrown

Something has gone on! Both the seat memory switches and lock/unlock on the drivers side are recessed a few mm compared to the passenger side, and are sticking. They definitely worked fine when I used them Mon morning before going to the dealer.

I suspect the door card, or at least the speaker grill, has been removed for some reason, though god knows why to sort out the specific issues it went in for.

Will be on the phone (again).
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 19:26   #32
jaswinder05

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbanger1975 View Post
Just recieved an email from volvo uk promoting android auto. For vehicles that DON'T have apple car play they want £300 to upgrade,which includes a 2nd USB socket etc. For those with Apple car play the upgrde is complimentary.
My question is , does anyone have android auto already, and is it worth it.?
I love android phones, and plan to keep the car for many years. I hate the cars built in spotify app, and tend to Bluetooth it from my phone anyway, so it would be much easier to do it via the sensus. Does google maps integrate well on the screen?. Can you use the voice activation button on steering wheel to control it, ie 'ok google' send texts etc.
Ive just had my car sorted after the low battery warnings after my last update, and so far its behaving itself, dont want to screw it up again..lol...
HI all new to VOLVO I have XC90 2017 on order with 1 USB .

I emailed head office today in regards to AA and they said to expect a update on quarter 2.

Now my choices are either to factory order the XC90 from the dealer with Apple Carplay and get the second USB installed.

or get my XC90 next week with 1 USB ,(ORDERED THE CAR WITHOUT KNOWING APPLE CARPLAY WAS NEEDED FOR ANDROID,SO ANGRY THAT THE DEALERSHIP DID NOT TELL ME ORIGINALLY AS AT THE TIME OF CHOOSING THE VEHICLE I MADE CLEAR IAM A ANDROID PHONE MAN)

Most of my fellow drivers here have more experience with VOLVO will the AA feature be added to the 2017 models that have 1 USB input?

THANKS

Last edited by jaswinder05; Mar 9th, 2017 at 19:31.
jaswinder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 21:02   #33
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswinder05 View Post
HI all new to VOLVO I have XC90 2017 on order with 1 USB .

I emailed head office today in regards to AA and they said to expect a update on quarter 2.

Now my choices are either to factory order the XC90 from the dealer with Apple Carplay and get the second USB installed.

or get my XC90 next week with 1 USB ,(ORDERED THE CAR WITHOUT KNOWING APPLE CARPLAY WAS NEEDED FOR ANDROID,SO ANGRY THAT THE DEALERSHIP DID NOT TELL ME ORIGINALLY AS AT THE TIME OF CHOOSING THE VEHICLE I MADE CLEAR IAM A ANDROID PHONE MAN)

Most of my fellow drivers here have more experience with VOLVO will the AA feature be added to the 2017 models that have 1 USB input?

THANKS
I am new to the world of Volvo myself and am an Android man too.

When I originally ordered my XC90 in October 2016, Android Auto was not yet annouced by Volvo. Apple Carplay was an option at that time. I made the dealer know that I am interested in Android Auto.

A couple of months after ordering, my dealer made me aware that Volvo renamed Apple Carplay option to "Smartphone Integration" and that it would include both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I jumped at that opportunity and paid for that option.

Took delivery of my XC90 a week ago, and it's got 2 USB ports and Android Auto is working beautifully. I especially like it as you have a greater flexibility with voice control. Its easy to call and navigate using your voice control and utilising the Sensus screen. Also great for music, as my collection is on Google Play Music. Yet to explore the other features offered by Android Auto.

If your order is still amendable (doubt it), go for the Smartphone Integration option. There's no guarantee Volvo will get Android Auto working on cars with one USB port.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 22:10   #34
jaswinder05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
I am new to the world of Volvo myself and am an Android man too.

When I originally ordered my XC90 in October 2016, Android Auto was not yet annouced by Volvo. Apple Carplay was an option at that time. I made the dealer know that I am interested in Android Auto.

A couple of months after ordering, my dealer made me aware that Volvo renamed Apple Carplay option to "Smartphone Integration" and that it would include both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I jumped at that opportunity and paid for that option.

Took delivery of my XC90 a week ago, and it's got 2 USB ports and Android Auto is working beautifully. I especially like it as you have a greater flexibility with voice control. Its easy to call and navigate using your voice control and utilising the Sensus screen. Also great for music, as my collection is on Google Play Music. Yet to explore the other features offered by Android Auto.

If your order is still amendable (doubt it), go for the Smartphone Integration option. There's no guarantee Volvo will get Android Auto working on cars with one USB port.
Thanks for your response.

The car we originally chose was in production already with features that covered all the bases.

However in light of the Android Auto and USB issue the fact I made clear how important Android connectivety is to me they have offered me to re order a different car....But instead of getting the car next week I have to wait 12 weeks!

Total Dilemma
jaswinder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 22:52   #35
SpaceBoy42

Well I notice my MY17 car is coming with two USB ports, but I haven't ordered Apple Car Play (as I don't own any apple products). Does that mean Android Auto will work (as long as I install the App on my phone of course) or should I have ordered the car play option to "enable" Android Auto?
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 23:01   #36
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswinder05 View Post
Thanks for your response.

The car we originally chose was in production already with features that covered all the bases.

However in light of the Android Auto and USB issue the fact I made clear how important Android connectivety is to me they have offered me to re order a different car....But instead of getting the car next week I have to wait 12 weeks!

Total Dilemma
12 weeks is a long wait compared to one week, but if Android Auto is a must, you might as well wait 12 weeks. Otherwise its highly possible that you'll be stuck with a car for a few years without Android Auto.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 23:03   #37
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy42 View Post
Well I notice my MY17 car is coming with two USB ports, but I haven't ordered Apple Car Play (as I don't own any apple products). Does that mean Android Auto will work (as long as I install the App on my phone of course) or should I have ordered the car play option to "enable" Android Auto?
As far as I know, you need to purchase the "Smartphone Integration" option, which costs £300. Please do check with your dealer, to see if they can do a deal to load Android Auto software for you, as you already have the prerequisite hardware.
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 23:19   #38
Quacker
Premier Member

I've thought long and hard about Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My car doesn't have them and I did ask for CarPlay to be fitted before delivery. Not really wanting the second USB port, because I have a couple of nifty double USB fast charging things that live almost permanently in the front and back seats power points. However, it seems that it is more complex than just loading a bit of extra software on the car and the dealer couldn't do it before delivery and asked me to wait a while for more general knowledge about how to install it first. Neither of us wanted me to be a test pilot for the install.

Anyhow, since getting the car, I'm not at all sure what I would gain and whether I would use it. I find the Sensus system to be excellent as it is. I always carry my iPhone and sometimes my iPad with me anyhow and these are connected to the car by Bluetooth and WiFi. All that's really needed is a convenient holder for either of these so that it is convenient to use without hand holding while my car is stationary and I have the full Apple experience, not some emasculated CarPlay. With a holder for the iPad. ideally at the same height as the Sensus screen and to the left of it, angled towards me, I would have two similar screens instead of one. One for the Apple system, including my essential Evernote, Calendar, email and library of files and documents. The other for car and infotainment controls and services.

That would be my ideal. The only thing currently missing is a secure holder for my 12" iPad Pro.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 23:29   #39
Jcbrown

Finally got AA installed last week, and had a good try out on a 100 mile drive, and a good 30 mins parked up.

To be honest, I really do not see the point now it is on there. What does it give me that I did not have before?

Google Maps: Yes I can find businesses, but I can with Yelp and navigate via Sensus Navigation. I miss the repeater in the Drivers display and HUD you get with Sensus navigation

Phone: I don't see anything which I could not do before AA was installed

Media: Yes Spotify starts up (much) faster, but I can only see the current track, not what is coming next as I can with Sensus. Maybe it is just me, but I like to see the next few tracks.

Media: Tried LibriVox 6-or-7 times. Took an age to start playing, sounded out the 1st syllable then shutdown and reverted to Spotify, but without any sound, on anything. only way I found to get sound back was to unplug phone

Media: Where are the rest of the AA supported apps? I have a number installed which are listed as "Apps for AA" installed, but cannot see them in AA: Hangouts, WhatsApp, Skype, FB Messenger to name a few

Return to Volvo: had to press 5-10-more times before it would return

Voice Recognition: Yes, Google Voice recognition appears much better than Sensus. But there are only so many times you can ask Spotify to play "Juju on that beat" for my daughter before it looses its novelty

Have not used it since, and don't really plan to

Last edited by Jcbrown; Mar 10th, 2017 at 00:13.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 08:00   #40
NickHoward

I've always been told you can retrofit smartphone integration after you take delivery.

The only thing you miss out on is the second USB port, which seems a minor issue.

As others have said, the lack of integration with the HUD, and the fact it only uses a small portion of the Sensus screen was the reason I didn't order it.

If it becomes more useful down the line, I'll add it on.

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote