Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time for Tyres

Views : 4449

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 13:49   #31
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
I have been unimpressed by the original Continental tyres on my XC60 that have worn in a manner to cause some road noise and vibration, noticeable when driving at city traffic speed. These will be scrapped well before they are worn out.

Hopefully the replacement Michelin tyres on order will perform better for much longer.
I did notice a slight wear on my Contis at the rear of my car wearing slightly more on the outer edge.

Do you do any country lane driving ie the twisty bits?
My driving is about a third urban a third motorway a third country lanes
Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 14:10   #32
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.cass View Post
I don't see the issue with the Pirellis. I had no traction issues at all with AWD in the snow. They ride quietly with good steering feel and braking. The only reason I would go for an alternative brand (Michelin maybe) is to get more miles out of them. I can understand the need for winter tyres on FWD models or if you live on a hill, but for most of the time the standard road tyre is fine. Move to the midlands where life is flat.
Probably heresy, but I find myself agreeing with this. Had the car 3 months now, incorporating much of the snow fall late last year, and suffered no problems at all. In addition, when it has warmed up above 7 degs, the tyres have handled very well in terms of grip. Too early to say on wear, but can't complain so far. Having said all that, lot's of people on here, who's opinion I respect, paint the Pirellis as Satan's tyres sent to kill (or irritate) us all so that also gives me pause for thought.........
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 20:13   #33
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I did notice a slight wear on my Contis at the rear of my car wearing slightly more on the outer edge.

Do you do any country lane driving ie the twisty bits?
My driving is about a third urban a third motorway a third country lanes
Regards
On my car there is no obvious tyre wear pattern apparent. The Conti tyres look normal but partly worn. However, they make a rumbling noise and cause mild vibration at certain speeds. The dealer has tried rotating several times without much improvement. Hence the decision to replace.

My driving for about 25,000 kms from new would have been about 75% urban and 25% country. Only a very small proportion of those roads would be regarded as twisty.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 22:17   #34
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
On my car there is no obvious tyre wear pattern apparent. The Conti tyres look normal but partly worn. However, they make a rumbling noise and cause mild vibration at certain speeds. The dealer has tried rotating several times without much improvement. Hence the decision to replace.

My driving for about 25,000 kms from new would have been about 75% urban and 25% country. Only a very small proportion of those roads would be regarded as twisty.
were your tyres properly balanced? the symptoms sound typical of tyres that haven't been well balanced on a heavy car.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 05:33   #35
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
were your tyres properly balanced? the symptoms sound typical of tyres that haven't been well balanced on a heavy car.
They tried everything known to man. In the end I have got cr@p tyres with nothing more to be done. The Volvo dealer sells and recommends Conti, so it was with some reluctance that they admitted defeat with these.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 07:58   #36
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

I had this same problem on my v70 and it was the inner rim of a wheel that had been dented (very slightly) when I hit a large pothole at speed - the tyre replaced as it was split but the dent wasn't noticed for several weeks - by Kwikfit actually - fater I had tried several places to get rid of the vibration. I took it to a company that straightens alloys and bingo, problem solved, was like a new car

Variuos root causes were provided to me, CV joints failing, worn brake discs, damaged wheel bearing, all to no avail - in the end a very simple and cheap fix (£30)
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:40   #37
Andrew_W

I had no problems with the Pirellis on my D5 AWD this winter, even in deep snow when escaping from the blocked A34 in December using side roads. Traction control was working overtime but I never got stuck. My biggest concern is with the wear rate, all 4 are within a couple of mm of the treadwear indicator after 16000 miles and will need to be replaced soon.

I'm thinking of the Vredrestein Wintrac 4 Extreme from tyremen but I haven't decided yet, I may go for Continental or Michelin - watching this thread and the forum closely for other's opinions.
Andrew_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 17:57   #38
darbs
XC60 Owner

i've also had a good experience with the pirelli's. i had no problem moving off or cornering in the snow and ice. stopping was a bit of an issue though, but these tyres are known for their inability to stop on snow and ice. it's pretty easy to prepare for these longer stopping distances. the most important thing that tyres can do for me is grip and stop well on wet and do well to reduce the risk of aquaplaning. wear isn't the biggest deal for me. most tyres perform pretty well in the dry. i'm considering michelin or conti's.
82 Metro 1.0
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 18:37   #39
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
... stopping was a bit of an issue though, but these tyres are known for their inability to stop on snow and ice. it's pretty easy to prepare for these longer stopping distances...
Wow, a man with a crystal ball that knows what other people are going to do - you should patent this, you'd make a fortune!
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 19:11   #40
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Wow, a man with a crystal ball that knows what other people are going to do - you should patent this, you'd make a fortune!
lol! i wish i did know what people are going to do. unfortunately, my method's a bit crude, i just keep extra distance and don't drive too quickly in such conditions! i would never recommend pirellis for icy conditions. winter tyres are without doubt the best set-up.

in the uk though, i don't think winter conditions are necessarily as dangerous as wet conditions. especially heavy rain. people just don't adjust their driving style enough for wet weather as they do snowy/ icy weather. if you spec tyres for winter conditions, i'd be surprised if you didn't for wet conditions.
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Mar 4th, 2011 at 19:19.