Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC70 my12 updates

Views : 10497

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 23:45   #31
irishcarfan
Master Member

Thanks for that, TrevS! It sounds very good so far and yep, I'd love to hear more about the car. This section on the forum needs more feedback, so anyone else wants to share their cars, I'd love to hear about them.

I went to have a look at the 2012 S80 today and I have to say the interior has really been transformed since the car came out back in late 2006. If you look at those early cars, the interior looks pretty sparse and plain (read "Scandinavian") and sometimes just not very pleasant. I read back in 2008/9 that Volvo wanted to add more 'jewel' like aspects to the interiors, more expensive finishes. Well, looking at the car today, they have certainly achieved that. The entire dash seemed to be encased in a silk metal or chrome effect that - although isn't quite to my taste - I can imagine would impress a lot of people. And I supposed I was impressed, too. It looked very expensive - especially as there was a 2008 car parked beside it. Apart from the seats and general layout, every object and button has been altered and made to look 'grander.'

What I didn't like: I'm still struggling with this whole key, servo, button ignition setup. In our cars, we get in, put in the key and turn. It's a 1 second job - especially useful when in a rush. But this new Volvo system - I think it might infuriate me.

The boot release and fuel cap buttons are right next to the light switch dial - which itself seems slightly too small for my liking. I would have preferred those buttons elsewhere... where, though, I don't know..!

Overall, I had forgotten how big the car is. Was driving my father's 2008 Hyundai Sonata - which isn't a small car - but the S80 was like a car with its chest out by comparison. Some nice wheels on it, too.

Today looked at a Jaguar XF, Peugeot 508 and the S80 compared very well to both. The 508 represents very good value in Ireland... comes complete with full size spare wheel
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 15:36   #32
TrevS

Default keyless ignition

"What I didn't like: I'm still struggling with this whole key, servo, button ignition setup. In our cars, we get in, put in the key and turn. It's a 1 second job - especially useful when in a rush. But this new Volvo system - I think it might infuriate me"

Not sure whether you mean the 'standard' Volvo ignition where you have to put the key in the (very) high level slot or the 'keyless' version? I've had keyless on my last two cars and now wouldn't buy one without it - how much more lazy can I get!

The latest Volvo version works very well, as long as you have the key about your person, in your pocket/case/rucksack/whatever you just pull any door handle to unlock and open door in one motion. Hop in, depress the clutch pedal and hit the start/stop button - simple as, no need for the key to leave your pocket/bag/whatever. When you stop, press the hand brake button then press the start/stop button to kill the engine. Once you've exited the car just close the door and press the rubber stud on any of the doors to lock.
To lock/unlock you can of course use the remote if you prefer.

While I'm typing a little moan about the auto handbrake - works well now I've gotten used to it but why a silly stretch down to the right, what's wrong with the centre tunnel? I tried several cars out before deciding on the Volvo, all with auto handbrake but all in the time honoured centre tunnel position, it's a minor thing but a little, and in my view unnecessary, reminder every time I drive the car that even Volvo don't get all the ergonomics right.
TrevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 21:46   #33
irishcarfan
Master Member

Yep, I meant the key in the dashboard thing. Keyless is probably the way to go - sounds good! I really don't get the positioning of the handbrake button!!! And no safety-justification-explanation from Volvo in the world will change that!
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:39   #34
apersson850
Premier Member

The parking brake lever is where it usually is, on cars that have a pedal to apply it and then the release lever on the dashboard. Whether you like it or not - well...

Here is mine, in one of the roles for which I specifically got an XC70.

Another view
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 21:39   #35
irishcarfan
Master Member

Lovely car! What spec and interior has it?
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 09:55   #36
apersson850
Premier Member

It's a D5 with Geartronic automatic gearbox.
I'll have to take some photos of the interior, if you want to see that.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 21:06   #37
TrevS

Nice car, like the wheels, are they 17's?
TrevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 22:52   #38
apersson850
Premier Member

Yes, 235/55 17". They come as standard, if you order the Summum equipment pack.
Sorry, haven't taken any photos of the interior yet.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 14:09   #39
apersson850
Premier Member

To answer the question about the interior, here are some more photos.

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 15:53   #40
br1anuk

Default Tow bar electrics

Just got back from my local dealer and had to pay £51 to have the volvo towbar electrics switched on while it was having its 2 3month look over.

After 3 months with the car I'm really pleased with the fuel economy,( much better than my 2008 v70 2.4d) the performance, boy can it wooosh especially out of wet roundabouts and the general feeling of well being that you get when driving it.

There are a couple of things that have niggled me, the xenon headlights which are fantastic and have the active beam turning with the steering wheel, but they are set too low to err on the side of safety so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

The other niggle is the sat-nav, radio, telephone interface which drives me mad when you have to come out of navigation just to turn the radio over.

Brian.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote