Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

really really pi**ed off

Views : 3927

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:59   #31
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

HIya Bob,I live in Chester-le Street and when I bought my 850 it didn't bother me that it was a bit battered because the local imbeciles where I live just cant leave anything alone.Sure enough nearly A year later it has a fine assortment of scratches and chips ( none really bad though ) but it annoys me that if I had looked for a really nice example I would be gutted at the damage.Police aren't interested but there's always a mobile speed camera at the entrance to my estate on Durham Road. The only way to treat these AR@@@OLESs to chop their hands off!!!
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Northface For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 13:52   #32
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

dropped the car off today, had a chat with the engineer and hes told me that the bill should come between 900 and 1000, ive spoken to my insurance company and they have said that if worse come to the worse they will pay me my guarantee value minus excess and i get to keep the car and get it fixed myself, but to be honest i want it fixed.

just have to wait for a call from them now.
Old May 16th, 2011, 14:18   #33
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy north face View Post
HIya Bob,I live in Chester-le Street and when I bought my 850 it didn't bother me that it was a bit battered because the local imbeciles where I live just cant leave anything alone.Sure enough nearly A year later it has a fine assortment of scratches and chips ( none really bad though ) but it annoys me that if I had looked for a really nice example I would be gutted at the damage.Police aren't interested but there's always a mobile speed camera at the entrance to my estate on Durham Road. The only way to treat these AR@@@OLESs to chop their hands off!!!
id chop something else off as well, theres far too many of "those sort" about now, we don't need any more...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 17:35   #34
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

ohhhhhhhh bugger, had insurance on the phone and its not good at all. they have qutoed for a complete repair and have to replace the black strip along the windows but its no longer avaiable same as the trim from botoom of the doors, i have told them that i dont want them removed if they cant be replaced but apparantly they have to quote for new replacements!!!!

the total cost including vat is now £1345,87p

ive told them that i am prepared to have the tors stripes replaced at my cost but thery are not happy doing that??? why??

so the options i have are to have the car written off and have to start again or for them to give me my car back and the £1345 minus my £50 excess and have the car repaired myself BUT they wont insure me again and my cars listed as a write off which would mean that i could no longer get guranteed value and if my car ever had another accident i would not get anywhere near the value.

so im now sleeping on it and deciding what to do after speaking to engineer in morning i really want to keep bob going, but dont want to loose out in the long run
Old May 16th, 2011, 18:12   #35
scandalpete

So sorry to read of this damage - I think I'd go and have a chat with the suspect !!

Just a thought - is it worth going to a different body shop for another quote - yours sounds high to me. In the past when this sort of thing has happened to me a private deal with the bodyshop man and no claim to the insurance company was the best overall deal e.g. keep the guaranteed value and your cover. I know it sounds silly but it might just be worth considering.
scandalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 18:19   #36
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
ohhhhhhhh bugger, had insurance on the phone and its not good at all. they have qutoed for a complete repair and have to replace the black strip along the windows but its no longer avaiable same as the trim from botoom of the doors, i have told them that i dont want them removed if they cant be replaced but apparantly they have to quote for new replacements!!!!

the total cost including vat is now £1345,87p

ive told them that i am prepared to have the tors stripes replaced at my cost but thery are not happy doing that??? why??

so the options i have are to have the car written off and have to start again or for them to give me my car back and the £1345 minus my £50 excess and have the car repaired myself BUT they wont insure me again and my cars listed as a write off which would mean that i could no longer get guranteed value and if my car ever had another accident i would not get anywhere near the value.

so im now sleeping on it and deciding what to do after speaking to engineer in morning i really want to keep bob going, but dont want to loose out in the long run
What a bloody nightmare! Insurance company effectively saying take the money or else we won't insure you. Nice If you do take the money and repair yourself as you say registered as a write off and can't insure with present insurance company. What category of a write off would it be? I would be tempted to ditch the present insurance company anyway, although premiums may rise because of a claim. If you do repair yourself take plenty of pictures of the damage. At least then you can show any prospective buyers if you do sell in the future.

I Feel gutted for you

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 18:34   #37
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

WHS^^^^^
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:25   #38
yragyrag90

Bloody hell.
Who's worse insurance companies or vandal scum?

I had a load of crap when mine was written off. Loads of negotiating.
One of the best tips I was given, was, if you have time on your side, play the long game. The insurance company will be charged by the day for holding your car (If they are) and so just hang on.

I'd take it for another estimate.
Then try to negotiate a deal with the insurance. Say £1000 and they don't write your car off.
Really, there shouldn't be a need to write it off if it isn't damaged to a dangerous degree, there are classes but I can't remember what they are. Some won't affect your insurance, but as you rightly say it will most likely drop any future valuation.
The longer you hold out the more they will give you.
Is there not an insurance ombudsman you could kick up a fuss with?

It's a rock and a hard place. And a total waste of time and effort. If you think I might have anything you will need from the parts I have just let me know, they're yours.
And good luck with it.

@Andy North Face
I'm around Chester le Street too. I'm the white Torslanda (not literally) if you ever see me.

And yeah, the police are pretty appalling on the youth crime front.
A while back a group chucked an egg at my window, not the crime of the century, but it was thrown at a fair bit of force, caused a loud enough bang to bring the neighbours out.
The group then waited at the bottom of the street, and when I called the police they said they would "try to get someone out but it may be tomorrow".
I replied that they would probably have moved on by then and it would be best to get someone out straight away.
"Oh, why's that?" asked the operator.
I replied with "No reason"
And she said something along the lines of "If you are making malicious threats towards them, that is a crime".
I was absolutely amazed. It was a s if a story from the Daily Mail had escaped and learnt to use a telephone. I couldn't believe she was actually tempting me, or even warning me against saying something threatening. Something that I wasn't doing anyway.
Anyway, I murdered the lot of them, the operator too and I am writing this from a prison cell. But f##k, you can't wipe the smile off my face.

(Not really obviously, but a man can dream)
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:34   #39
940_Turbo

Negotiate to have them give you the money and not write it off. There are no rules about it; it is perfectly possible for them to pay you an agreed settlement and not put any kind of marker on the car.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:57   #40
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

the car is at nationwider crash repair centre at team valley. they are owned by rsa and morethan.

they have estimated tyhe repairs based on having the car put back to as new condition and have quoted for parts that are no longer avaialbe using prices that where charged when available. ie the trim from bottom of the doors and the black vinyl trim that runs along bottom of the windows. because the trim is no longer available it would have to be made which isnt a problem however they are saying both sides would have to be done to ensure a match, i tried to explain to them that this trim is stuck fast and and to remove it would damage the paint also the rear side windows would need to be removed to fit properly.

i also explained that if they removed the trim from the bottom of the doors there is no way it could be refitted, his explanation was that they still have to quote for these parts.

i removed the mouldings that run along the side of the car before i took the car so that they could clearly see the damage and they have quoted to have these replaced even though i have told them i have got them and again they are not available!!!

they are just not listening to what i am saying!!!

i asked the insirance company about taking my car to another bodyshop for me to obtain other quotes and was told that this was fine but they would need to drop my car back to me which i would have to pay for and the time that has been spent on estimating etc would have to be added to any quote i get.

i have decided that what ever happens i am having the car back and will be telling them this morning.