Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dead fuel pump relay? - dead car!!

Views : 2591

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 19:51   #31
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I had a phone call from a friend today about a misbehaving Volvo. He is friendly with a garage owner who was having trouble with a car and wondered if I had any similar problems. It was at one stage cutting out for no reason. Checking through a few things they found it could be stopped by flexing the crank sensor wires. They fitted a new one but seem to have other problems with the car now but at least it doesn't just cut out like it did.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 22:27   #32
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Thumbs up S u c c e s s

IT WORKS

Hooray
Thanks for the help guys, you saved me some cash.
Its so easy to fit but very expensive, £28.26+VAT with VOC discount. The relay was £30 all in. Both from Fawcetts of Newbury who ordered it this morning and had it this afternoon. Simon in "service" told me the resistance was 250 Ohm (ish) and therefore I felt fine ordering the part.

I recommend anyone with a 940 gets a crank sensor and pump relay to carry about with them. Get cheap aftermarket parts if you want, as long as it works you get where you need to be, (you need a no 2 cross head and a 10mm spanner off course.)

I have had each go on separate cars, each time the AA man thought it was the other part. Had I the spares it would have taken minutes to fix and avoided some serious (painfully serious) disruption. There are other things that go, but having these parts reduces the odds and especially the confusion.

I (might) have pics but I need to install the camera driver. I think a separate thread would help summarise.

Previously owned 1996 940 SE auto and GLE manual, both B230FK estates.
Dr. Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Rog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 22:59   #33
BillB
VOC Member

I haven't been on the forum for a day or two or I would have told you it was almost certainly the RPM sensor - a known fail item after about 150k so shoud be changed anyway. The problem is that they fail gradually so you measure it's voltage output one instant and it would be OK then the engine would die a second later. Regard it as a maintenance item. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillB For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:29   #34
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Coming out in sympathy

Well my B234F played up coming home tonight. I thought it was the fuel pump relay at first, but I could hear the fuel pump start pumping when I turned on so it wasn't that. RAC man found good spark - and while he was looking for a good earth to test the plug leads against, nudged a little relay attached to the strap round the header tank and she fired! Unplug, tighten connectors, WD40, and sang home like a bird. I think that must be the "radio suppression relay".
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:52   #35
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Hi Dr. Rog, can I ask what mileage your crank sensor has failed at?
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 13:02   #36
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Mine has just failed as well, and is being replaced tomorrow. See my thread in the 900 section.

Mileage is around 160,000 so I wonder if we are in for a spate of these things going.

Good advice from Dr Rog and Bill B. Although unlikely another one will go, I'm going to source out an aftermarket one and stick in in my box of bits ( a plug, an injector, an ht lead, etc) in the car. The hassle we had getting back from Stansted last weekend was really a complete PITA ending in a full recovery back here to Exeter, and still running into this week with lifts to work having to be organised etc.

Trouble is, you can drive round with a decent set of tools to deal with emergencies, as I do usually, and in most cases make some form of temporary repair to keep moving. But if something like this fails then you are completely knackered. For the sake of a few quid, I'm playing safe.

Last edited by Oilydad; Jul 5th, 2011 at 13:29.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 16:40   #37
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Glad to hear it goes again. I wonder if it's age rather than the amount of miles it's done. My car had the non starting problem at a lot less than what others have experienced. I have always been slightly suspicious of the mileage of my car in it's original guise, it had 49,000 on it when I bought it.
There is a chance it wasn't the crank sensor though as I changed it and the injector relay at the same time.

Could the short spell of warm weather finished a few of them off perhaps ?
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 17:42   #38
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Hi Dr. Rog, can I ask what mileage your crank sensor has failed at?
180,800 or near enough. 1996 registered car

The old one has a little cracking in the insulation around the end of the sensor. It would appear that a little bit of perishing of the insulation, fatigue of the copper wire and bob's your uncle - dead car.

If you get yours off and is got the slightest crack its on its way I would suggest.

Also the car has been sluggish pulling away recently, I notice this as I have to pull away across a busy and very dangerous junction every morning. But this morning it was noticeably quicker. I think some indeterminacy was creeping in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Rog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 18:28   #39
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Glad to hear it goes again. I wonder if it's age rather than the amount of miles it's done. My car had the non starting problem at a lot less than what others have experienced. I have always been slightly suspicious of the mileage of my car in it's original guise, it had 49,000 on it when I bought it.
There is a chance it wasn't the crank sensor though as I changed it and the injector relay at the same time.

Could the short spell of warm weather finished a few of them off perhaps ?
Rubbers and plastics age, copper fatigues (becomes brittle with being flexed), PCBs get acid erosion off the flux, both time and quantity of flux dependant.
However how the item is fitted matters, pulling it tight can't help.