Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garmin Nuvi For Volvo

Views : 3909

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:58   #31
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Agree.

But,when searching for information, regarding GE, I found lots of negative posts, on various forums.
The same here, hence the decision to get rid of it.

Quote:
It seems that you cannot download map updates to your computer, only to the Garmin.
Correct, I also use other Garmin software [namely MapSource, Training Center & BaseCamp] and utilise these maps from time to time as well.

Quote:
The GLTU is a lot quicker (found this out after updating the software, earlier this month). It took over 3 hours to update with GE today.
Can't comment on that, however I have indicated the amount of time to get map updated through GLTU in this thread already (below an hour).

Quote:
The idea, with GE running in the background is, when a map update is available, it will start to download automatically.

Thinking of your broadband speed, when the update starts, I think your normal browsing will slow down considerably.
I really prefer the scenario when software tells me there's an update available and I decide when to perform this and start this rather hefty download process.

Quote:
For the time being, I will stay with GLTU (download has been removed from Garmin web site) and see how things go. It just means that I have to check "My Garmin Dashboard" for firmware updates, every now and again.
I was lucky to do a System Restore, to get GLTU back. (had to disable anti virus to do it).
There's stand-alone Garmin software that does the same - WebUpdater - and I have used it long before I got my nuvi as I have also other Garmin units at home (which I'm not sure Garmin Express is compatible with by the way).

Quote:
I hope this explains my thoughts on the subject.

tem.
It does indeed and I hope my two pence have not muddied these waters two much as well
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krzemien For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 13:32   #32
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Just to let you know that Garmin Express has downloaded a software and update map update this week during the period that I state for it to work (midnight - 06:00). This morning it took 30 mins to install both updates onto the Garmin.

Software is excellent, pity that the Volvo Satnav software

a) is not updated as regularly
b) takes so long to do an update and
c) costs so much!!

Such is life
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:33   #33
krzemien

(I just knew earlier I would not resist this urge!)

So, after another message saying that Garmin Express is downloaded ready to be installed on my machine I started looking for reasons and discovered that indeed LifeTime Updater points to this when asked about available updates.

I have therefore migrated to Express now and subsequently lost previously downloaded to my PC recent maps... But apart from that after updating all sort of configuration details and backing up the content so far no issues encountered.

Does anyone know if Express would allow using these maps on the PC later? I probably will check this with the next release - which according to Garmin should be still in April due to errors found in routing in the Netherlands.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 14:54   #34
tem
Premier Member

I had to upgrade to express when updating another nuvi, earlier last week.
Took around 1 hour 15 mins.

tem.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 20:40   #35
krzemien

Just in case: 2014.10 EU updated maps have arrived, they installed themselves promptly on my unit (as described in my earliers post).
The Following User Says Thank You to krzemien For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 10:01   #36
tem
Premier Member

I have just updated a Nuvi 40 LM.
Instead of updating with Garmin Express, I used Garmin Map Updater V3.2.2

Within this program, there are three options:-
Download to device.
Download to device/computer.
Download to computer.

With an old Dell laptop, the download and installation took 1 hour 12 minutes.
The laptop did not overheat, as some experienced with Garmin Express and I kept a check on the CPU which mainly run at the high 20% and the odd peak to 48%.
I still have to update a Nuvi 3790T and will use a desktop to compare the update.

On forums there have been complaints regarding Garmin Express and I would recommend trying Garmin Map Updater.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:46. Reason: Information edit
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 13:59   #37
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
I have just updated a Nuvi 40 LM.
Instead of updating with Garmin Express, I used Garmin Map Updater V3.2.2

Download to device.
Download to computer.

With an old Dell laptop, the download and installation took 1 hour 12 minutes.
The laptop did not overheat, as some experienced with Garmin Express and I kept a check on the CPU which mainly run at the high 20% and the odd peak to 48%.
I still have to update a Nuvi 3790T and will use a desktop to compare the update.

On forums there have been complaints regarding Garmin Express and I would recommend trying Garmin Map Updater.

tem.
The update of the Nuvi 3790T took 2 hours 55 minutes.
The reason it took so long, the Nuvi 40 LM has limited European Maps, no Easter block countries, whereas the 3790 T has full European maps.

On reflection, if you do not want to download to the computer and can live with Garmin Express (which runs in the background, unless you remove it after updating), then this is probably the quickest update method.

tem.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 16:54   #38
krzemien

Quote:
[cut]I used Garmin Map Updater V3.2.2

Download to device.
Download to computer.
[/cut]
Prompted by available update I have just discovered that this is now also possible with the latest Garmin Express (2.2.14).

http://download.garmin.com/omt/expre...sInstaller.exe

You need to go to Device -> Advanced tab to add this task to the queue - after that all is fine and maps appear in other Garmin software.

The remaining inconvenience is excessive CPU usage during download / update process.