Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The £100 tank fill

Views : 3848

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:04   #31
wrinkles
VOC Member

Smile

I never let mine get below half full just in case the go on strike again I got caught out last time
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:19   #32
baconrasher
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I've also seen 850 but never any more. 1275 is quite some feat although a load of old tosh as we know. I suppose the next question is how far have you gone before actually filling up in the real world? I have gone 650 miles (ish) and then filled as it said 40 or so miles left in the tank. If I was wild and reckless I would have pushed it further to see what it would really do but 1/ I did not want to look like an idiot running out of fuel and 2/ the emptier the tank the greater the pain of filling back to the top ie the £100 fill.
It is of course psychological - it doesn't matter if you fill 70L in one go, or do it 10L at a time, the cost is identical. I don't mind splashing out for the fuel, but I do mind if I then get stuck in some traffic jam and see the stuff just burning up to go nowhere.
baconrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:30   #33
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Baconrasher (great name by the way but you have made me hungry) - you are absolutely right and I guess that is a big part of this thread. The barrier beyond which it is too painful to go. For some it is £100 for others it is £60. For me it is £70. All nonsense as you rightly point out as you just have to fill up earlier but the human mind is a strange old thing.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:08   #34
Crockers
Premier Member

Some pay at pumps top out at £99 max.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:38   #35
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
I suppose the next question is how far have you gone before actually filling up in the real world?
The furthest I've gone is 700 miles between fill-ups (after longish motorway trips), and I'll squeeze in just over 14 gallons then. I nearly always fill up within 10 miles of the fuel light coming on, and it invariably comes on when the dash shows 70 miles to empty tank. I don't like to play chicken with the range
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:47   #36
baconrasher
Just a member

Quote:
Baconrasher (great name by the way but you have made me hungry)
Many years ago I was signing up for a forum (on a BBS - remember those) and needed a name. I just happened to be getting outside of a bacon sandwich at the time, so that's were the name came from and I have used it ever since on every forum.
baconrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baconrasher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 13:06   #37
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
...I suppose the next question is how far have you gone before actually filling up in the real world? ...
Best I have managed was a tad over 550 miles from home to Fort William on a single tank - filled up there with 66 ltrs giving an average of almost 38mpg - at a steady 75 mph for 90% of the journey
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 13:31   #38
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pugwash View Post
What do you guys get on the display for fuel range after tanking her up?

I brimmed her yesterday ready for a trip to Glasgow and my fuel range showed 465 miles!
Mine generally says about the same after filling up.

If driven to virtually empty, a fill up the other day was £103 and 73.74 litres. I say it again;strange for a 70l tank - with a range showing of 30 miles,which kind of suggests that it would be 80l to empty...!!

I am also pretty unique in here, in so far as I find the OBC more or less accurate compared to calculated brim to brim fill ups. I work out the mpg than knock it down by 3% to take into account that the mileage showing may be actually higher than that travelled due to an 'optimistic speedo'.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 15:22   #39
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Some pay at pumps top out at £99 max.
Shell Pay @ Pump gives a limit of £50 which is stupid as that's only half a tank in most cars.