Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gothenburg trip 2015

Views : 28019

Replies : 298

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2015, 13:19   #31
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvolvo View Post
Ryanair is £60 return non stop and £7 for the bus from Gothenburg city airport (20mins) I've done this route before 2 years ago. Times work perfectly to have 2 days in Gothenburg but only one night
Add a bag and Ryanair becomes more expensive than a "proper" airline (where all this + drink + sandwich + points in Star Alliance are included). One night or two....all depends on what one wants. Personally I would not stay for only 1 night if I went as Gothenburg is a big city and lots to offer than just Volvo. Shopping is very good for those who are into that.

The £7 bus ride with Ryanair will most likely be more as Landvetter is much further away than City Airport...
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 14:00   #32
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Add a bag and Ryanair becomes more expensive than a "proper" airline (where all this + drink + sandwich + points in Star Alliance are included). One night or two....all depends on what one wants. Personally I would not stay for only 1 night if I went as Gothenburg is a big city and lots to offer than just Volvo. Shopping is very good for those who are into that.

The £7 bus ride with Ryanair will most likely be more as Landvetter is much further away than City Airport...
It wasn't Ryanair bus it was a local bus, it runs to landvetter as well I believe.

we get a full first day to explore and second day is Volvo, so it's like having 2 days, bag and meal it's £75 so still cheaper.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 14:21   #33
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
London LHR-GOT with SAS (nonstop!)
12/10
1845-2145 Hrs

Return on 14/10
at either 0645 Hrs (land LHR 0755 Hrs) or at 1635 Hrs (land 1735 Hrs) at the very nice cost of only £100.01 return!!

Bus from Landvetter Airport (GOT) to City takes approx 20 mins. Ryanair fly from same airport in October as "Gothenburg City Airport - Säve" is closing down to commercial traffic this spring.

I wonder if Ryanair could match that once one adds costs for a seat, coffee, this that and the other etc etc?!
These flight times would not be possible as we wouldn't be leaving the museum until 5.30pm and would necessitate 1 or 2 extra nights.

We who are flying get in at 9.30 first day and leave following day at 9pm, so 2 full days one hotel.

Last time I just took hand baggage and the cost of £60 for return flights is very cheap, plus one night in hotel, total last time was £200 or under all in hotel, transefers, flights, taxis.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 19:56   #34
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi All,

How very serendipitous, well sort of, you don't look on the forum for ages and the first thing I see is October and Sweden.

I will be taking 'Greta' (1989 240GL) back to the place of her birth on the 11th of October it was meant to be last year when she turned 25 but funds would not allow due to a drive from Glasgow to Porto in 2013.

However not the fully loaded factory tour with whistles and bells, just the museum, and on the way I will also take in the DAF museum in Eindhoven, well Holland is technically on the way to Sweden from Glasgow.

Will look forward to the pics though, roll on October

Rusty
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustytoba For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 20:10   #35
scvolvo
Premier Member

Ettienne confirmed
Cumb male
Saaamon confirmed
Charlie confirmed
Judge ninja confirmed
The Flying Moose confirmed
Shem (Oscar) plus wife confirmed
Nealevo (prov)
Jamest5r (prov)

Full of the driving experience, may be some flexibility.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 21:59   #36
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Not sure where you found the flights.....on SAS's own homepage I just found the following:

Monday 12/10
EDI-ARN-GOT 1325-1850Hrs (1:15hrs in Stockholm).

Return on Thursday 15/1
GOT-ARN-EDI 0825-1235Hrs (2 hours in Stockholm).

Cost £387 in Economy or £553 in Business.

Btw, SAS does not fly from Glasgow anymore but does from Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
Hi NewVolvo, as I said what I found was disappointing. I was under the impression that SAS were flying out of Edinburgh or Aberdeen daily and returning daily. I cannot remember all the intricacies now but basically it meant that what was, initially going to be a very reasonably priced couple of days in Gothenburg was turning into a rather expensive three or four days and I was therefore having to withdraw.
As I stated I had the privilege of spending the day at Volvo which included the factory tour, the test drives, lunch at the factory and then the museum. Most memorable and I have no doubt our fellow Volvo lovers will also have a great time.
The trip also included visits to Copenhagen, Karlstad, Stockholm, Kalmar, Malmo and then over The Bridge and back through Denmark. It was superb.
Thank you for highlighting this information for me.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 22:27   #37
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Enquiries of flights from Scotland to Gothenburg on the days in question have proved disappointing if not non existent. One flight takes 14 hours with one change so goodness knows where it goes to. Apparently it is 631 miles from Glasgow to Gothenburg and a maximum 2 hour flight direct.
So unfortunately I will have to withdraw. It would be very expensive to travel south and fly from Stansted or wherever.
I will continue to check out the alternatives but I am not hopeful.
Having experienced the visit to the factory, test track and museum I am sure that all those who decide to go will thoroughly enjoy the experience. I would have loved to repeat the experience.
I will follow your progress.
Quote:
Hi NewVolvo, as I said what I found was disappointing. I was under the impression that SAS were flying out of Edinburgh or Aberdeen daily and returning daily. I cannot remember all the intricacies now but basically it meant that what was, initially going to be a very reasonably priced couple of days in Gothenburg was turning into a rather expensive three or four days and I was therefore having to withdraw.
As I stated I had the privilege of spending the day at Volvo which included the factory tour, the test drives, lunch at the factory and then the museum. Most memorable and I have no doubt our fellow Volvo lovers will also have a great time.
The trip also included visits to Copenhagen, Karlstad, Stockholm, Kalmar, Malmo and then over The Bridge and back through Denmark. It was superb.

Dibble,

Worst case scenario if you can get the train to Newcastle you could travel in the car with me and the Mrs.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 22:51   #38
scvolvo
Premier Member

I can still hold a spot for you dibble.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 23:02   #39
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Thank You.

I think its very expensive ex EDI when one can fly ex LHR for around £100 och even as low as £60 if one wants to give Ryanair a go.... (and perhaps never get there!), however, the competition is 0 ex Scotland to Scandinavia. Ex Aberdeen I know SAS fly to Copenhagen, Oslo and Stavanger. Via Oslo there's also the possibility to take the train to Gothenburg.

Your trip sounds great. Kalmar is a very historic and beautiful city. Karlstad I have only even been once to and have absolutely no recollection of that one!

Patrik
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 15:44   #40
brikas

If it is not too late, I'd like to put my name on the list for driving experience too.
brikas is offline   Reply With Quote