Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

8 week old S60 - electrical problem not covered by warranty

Views : 11290

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 13:28   #31
Wizzpop
Master Member

Even simpler, hand the car back as not fit for purpose (Trade Descriptions or whatever it is currently called). Get you money back and go elsewhere. It could be a car that has been a problem from the start. I think there is a way of checking its build date etc from the VIN
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 13:34   #32
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Even simpler, hand the car back as not fit for purpose (Trade Descriptions or whatever it is currently called). Get you money back and go elsewhere. It could be a car that has been a problem from the start. I think there is a way of checking its build date etc from the VIN
We'll see. It's a nice car though the S60, so be nice to keep it. It's on an 18 month lease anyway so it's not a long termer. Clearly if they can't fix it, that's another issue.

However, no-one is fixing it right now as I'm clearly not going to spend ££ on something I haven't done! So we're at an impasse as it stands.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 17:25   #33
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Even simpler, hand the car back as not fit for purpose (Trade Descriptions or whatever it is currently called).
It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I've attached a copy of the Act. Although it's written in a legal style, it's actually quite readable. It's useful to quote when, for example, shops try to fob you off with "contact the manufacturer" BS.
_
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Consumer Rights Act 2015.pdf (1.16 MB, 8 views)
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 20:38   #34
Bendolfc
Premier Member

It's a bit fishy. Even if you were to fit something, there's much easier earthing points. What on earth are they expecting you to fit that you would choose that one.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 21:05   #35
Whyman
Premier Member

The it has clearly been removed and refitted for some reason because it is obvious that the red paint has come off the thread.

Have you contacted the lease company as they may be able to throw some weight behind your problem and speed up a resolution.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 21:07   #36
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
The it has clearly been removed and refitted for some reason because it is obvious that the red paint has come off the thread.
...but the thinking it that is has to be removed at the factory to bolt in the electrical cables. Hence why I want to see a photo of another one!
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 22:24   #37
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I've attached a copy of the Act. Although it's written in a legal style, it's actually quite readable. It's useful to quote when, for example, shops try to fob you off with "contact the manufacturer" BS.
_

Thanks Lexman. I'm not sure where I stand when I'm not the owner of the car. The leasing company owns the car, not me. I just rent it. So when it comes to "rejecting" a car, are the leasing company (Santander) required to own the problem themselves?
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 23:09   #38
BiggyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
The dealer it's at isn't the one I got it from. However, I don't know if they're under pressure from Volvo to reject warranty work on electrical items they say are tampered with - i.e. they know Volvo won't entertain it. I can see evidence of this on other threads where people have fitted dash cams and have been denied warranty claims.
Off topic, but of course if manufacturers would just build the bloody dash cams into the things or record the 360 camera footage then nobody would have to “tamper” with anything to fit a dash cam.

If the car is a lease car, then it is a credit arrangement and you may have some contractual or statutory rights to remedy by contacting the lease / finance co. You are paying them £X a month for the use of an S60 and they have a contractual obligation to supply you one. If yours has packed up, then they need to give you a replacement, not Volvo. And if they try to claim tampering, then you could bring action for breach of contract and force them to prove it.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 23:12   #39
Bigyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Thanks Lexman. I'm not sure where I stand when I'm not the owner of the car. The leasing company owns the car, not me. I just rent it. So when it comes to "rejecting" a car, are the leasing company (Santander) required to own the problem themselves?
Have you contacted Santander about this? They are the car owner so should be informed and therefore they should be sorting this out.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 09:47   #40
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyell View Post
Have you contacted Santander about this? They are the car owner so should be informed and therefore they should be sorting this out.
Exactly this. They will have much more leverage than the consumer, too.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote