Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 111954

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:32   #401
nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_eclipse View Post
Nest

Sorry, that is a problem!

I am going to try to publicize my situation as much as possible in the hope that Volvo may just give in and start to replace the ETM free.

no worries Andy go for it

seems there has been a change in Volvo's company exposition regarding safety
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:41   #402
Andy_eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nest View Post
no worries Andy go for it

seems there has been a change in Volvo's company exposition regarding safety
and their attitude to customer service....

I have never spoken to such an unhelpful bunch of people. On the plus side though when you raise a complaint with them they foolishly ask for your feedback "so they may improve their service". Obviously the thought of not expecting their customers to pay for their mistakes does not occur to them as a way of "improving their service". It does give an opportunity to tell them what you think for what good it will do.
Andy_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 00:00   #403
nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_eclipse View Post
and their attitude to customer service....

I have never spoken to such an unhelpful bunch of people. On the plus side though when you raise a complaint with them they foolishly ask for your feedback "so they may improve their service". Obviously the thought of not expecting their customers to pay for their mistakes does not occur to them as a way of "improving their service". It does give an opportunity to tell them what you think for what good it will do.
feedback ? ..........one word ........."brandname"

VOLVO = SAFETY and RELIABILITY (or does it ?)

both an issue with this problem

I think they should be concentrating on their brand name and what Volvo represents,

I think it is more important for them to retain that in the long run

after all, it's what gave them an edge through the lean times

Last edited by nest; Dec 6th, 2006 at 00:12.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 14:12   #404
arvs31260

Hi guys,

Well back into the new year of 2007 with every intention of putting my motor back in good working order. She went into Riverside Volvo in Hull on 4/01/07 for 2 days to enable a thorough examination and diagnostics.

Before I go on, let me remind any of you who have read my other threads that I have replaced in the last 2 months, with genuine Volvo parts, the fuel filter, the air filter, the spark plugs and a reconditioned air flow meter (12 month guarantee). The garage were made aware of this before the ETM clean and software upgrade in December.

The head mechanic at the garage has a Volvo V70 2.5 20v classic 1999, so as this was in good working order, the idea was to be to use this as the donor vehicle for all the parts they would try as part of the diagnostics and to check if the ETM was the culprit!

They loaned me an S40 56 plate, which felt like a Ford Focus and is a firm reminder of why we enjoy our 'proper' Volvos. On 5/01/07, the service manager from the garage rang. He advised me that they had checked by 'swap over' from the donor vehicle the: Spark plugs, the AFM, the air filter. The coil plugs were also checked and were OK. They also checked the fuel filter and the fuel flow delivery rate at the injectors. They carried out compression checks and they all were OK. So all checked out OK. They also checked the ETM which tested OK. So I was advised that the error could be the injectors!

I was advised my options were to either have them serviced or replace them. I am told servicing is not necessarily successful and for genuine parts are about £400 plus fitting etc.

The Bosch service centre who reset my ECU following the fitting of the AFM have suggested I try a higher octane fuel before spending loads on injectors.

I remain unconvinced that the Volvo garage are right on the ETM. The rough running and error codes that I had before the ETM software upgrade have not been mentioned. I don't have the engine warning light coming on as I did before, but this may have something to do with the software upgrade. The garage did not swap the injectors over, which I find strange (especially as the diagnostics days cost me £90!!!). They don't carry the injectors in stock. They are a Volvo supply part and come from Sweden. (Alas they are Denso again). Nordic do not appear to offer these in their on line catalogue.

So, while I search for alternative priced injectors, I will try 3 tanks of Shell Optimax 98 octane as recommended before expending more sums of money.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 14:18   #405
chrisoftheday

What's the best thing to do?

Pay for the solution through the dealer using Volvo parts and then take them to court to recover the cost - should be successful now that the precedent has been set in Horsham County Court...

Or

Source the part as cheaply as possible and get it fitted (with no guarantee that it will solve the problem) - after having the software upgrade and clean done by the dealer?

I want to see VolvoUK take responsibility for the issue BUT don't like the idea of forking out at their rates.

What's a guy to do? Who else is faced with this problem and who has already had it fixed and paid through the nose?

Chris (see my other posts for history of the case)
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 22:05   #406
ngaff1

A question if i may guys. I've been reading through the posts but am a bit confused.
On the way home tonight my car (2001 S60 2.4t) lost power and a message appeared stating "reduced performance". I was able to crawl along at about 15mph and was lucky to be about 30 seconds from home. On moving the car once I'd got home the message had gone and performance seemed fine (although only moved from one side of the road to the other). Is the ETM wasted or could it be another fault ie position sensors that I have read about in the posts? The cruise control doesn't always work due to a faulty brake sensor according to the local Volvo dealer.
Only had the car a few months (bought privately) and am gutted if I'll now need to spend ££££ on the ETM.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
Neil
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 21:38   #407
ngaff1

Car has been into garage. Clean and software update done. Garage claim they have had no problems with any cars they have carried out this work on. My fingers are crossed that I don't have any further problems.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 22:35   #408
Ben 77
Ben 77

My 2001 V70 T5 went into limp mode last night and after having the codes read at my mechanic it has to go to Volvo for the ETM clean and upgrade.Will let you know how i get on.

Ben.
Ben 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 18:29   #409
ollieoxford

After starting this thread long ago, I felt it only fair I update.

My second ETM replacement (under warranty) has performed well to date, though admitedly thats only been another 4,000 miles. My circumstances have changed, and it was with some sadness I've had to sell my C70 to some lucky fellow from Rotherham, leaving myself with only an agricultural 940 2.3LPT as sole transport.

My own correspondances with Volord were inconclusive, and I'm glad that Watchdog had some effect in the end, though apparently not as much as some people finally taking legal action. It is a sad state of affairs when one has to resort to taking a company built on its reputation for safety to court over a safety issue.

Keep fighting the cause.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 22:37   #410
Kimbie

So does this issue effect S reg V70s?
Kimbie is offline   Reply With Quote