Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 933547

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen, Steve 940

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:02   #4191
Moomoo
VOC Member

Like it! 😂😂😂😂😂
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:19   #4192
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
It's crazy(again), but I won't say anything about the government trying to earn brownie points with Europe and trying to accommodate migrants ahead of the growing number of homeless Irish people or the foreign hedge fund companies buying properties up and pricing potential home owners out of the market.
No I won't say anything about that. What would be the point?
Governments are the same wherever you go Bob.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:24   #4193
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
It's crazy(again), but I won't say anything about the government trying to earn brownie points with Europe and trying to accommodate migrants ahead of the growing number of homeless Irish people or the foreign hedge fund companies buying properties up and pricing potential home owners out of the market.
No I won't say anything about that. What would be the point?
We all have our problems Bob. In the UK it is over-population, and the thing is it is still rising quickly but no one has an idea what to do about it. There are already 67,000,000 of us, but last year that increased by another half a million, and on average it has increased by 300,000/year since the 1950s. The reasons why the population is increasing so quickly don't matter here, perhaps it is because we are all living longer as we all follow healthier lifestyles? The fact remains we are a small island and the population is already too large. I have no idea about how one might control the size of the population, so I sympathise with the government (all UK governments, not just the current one). At the end of the day the UK is a popular, and hence populous, place.

In the RoI the population is only 5,100,000 in a place more than half as big as England (although that has increased from 3,900,000 in the past 20 years (again, the reasons why don't matter here)). To have the same population density as England (56,000,000) the RoI population would have to increase by more than 5 times what it is now. Does the RoI have a population density problem? Clearly not when compared with England.

The above doesn't detract from your point about the availability and affordability of housing for Irish people Bob. I do recall though that only 15 years ago whole housing schemes that could not be sold due to the financial crisis were being demolished in the RoI, so I rather suspect that in your country the issue is about affordability rather than availability (in that there is plenty of spare land).

I couldn't agree more that there is no point getting excited about things that are beyond one's control. Better to worry about fixing old Volvos and walking Bob (the dog).

Alan

PS. Bob (the dog) and I had a lovely walk on the beach at Berrow in Somerset yesterday. I'm thinking of moving there so he and I drove down to view some houses.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2023 at 12:03. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 12:35   #4194
Steve 940
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Othen;2886971]

Alan

PS. Bob (the dog) and I had a lovely walk on the beach at Berrow in Somerset yesterday. I'm thinking of moving there so he and I drove down to view some houses.

Alan,

Hope the house hunting trip proves fruitful, and I'm sure Bob enjoyed a stroll along such a lovely beach. Not too far from WSM to catch the beach race

I take it you will have two checklists, one for the house requirements (walls/roof) and a rather more lengthy checklist for you requirements to keep your 'boys toys' in the manner they have been accustomed to

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 12:53   #4195
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post

Alan,

Hope the house hunting trip proves fruitful, and I'm sure Bob enjoyed a stroll along such a lovely beach. Not too far from WSM to catch the beach race

I take it you will have two checklists, one for the house requirements (walls/roof) and a rather more lengthy checklist for you requirements to keep your 'boys toys' in the manner they have been accustomed to

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

Berrow is indeed a lovely place, the beach is really nice, WSM is just up the road and so is Bristol so I could go and watch the Bear's home matches at Ashton Gate. The two locations in the running are Alton (Hampshire, where I grew up) and Berrow. Alton is rather more expensive that Berrow so there would be a significant lifestyle change and less 'boys toys'. They are both nice places though and there is not a poor decision to be made between them.

You are right about there are being more than one checklist. First comes Bob and Millicent (the cat), so it has to be quiet and safe with good places to walk. Next comes Dan: although he will be away at university most of the time it has to be within easy drive of an airport and big enough for him to show up unexpected (probably with 3 or 4 mates), then there are the 'boys toys', although I have to be realistic about space in Hampshire - but I can keep them all in Somerset. Finally there is the roof/walls/heating for me to live in. It is quite an exciting process though, it is time to move on from Corby del Sol after Dan finishes his A levels in June.

At the moment I'd say Alton and Berrow are neck-a-neck, but I do like the idea of the beach being 10 minutes walk away (so did Bob), loads of space for 'boys toys' and quiet roads for motorbiking very attractive.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2023 at 12:56.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 12:53   #4196
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I gave a Volvo 240 tow bar to the scrap man only a few weeks ago; I'd advertised it on the forum as free to a good home since last summer but there were no takers.

Ho hum .
Ah that's a shame! I wish I'd have looked now
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 13:56   #4197
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

At the moment I'd say Alton and Berrow are neck-a-neck, but I do like the idea of the beach being 10 minutes walk away (so did Bob), loads of space for 'boys toys' and quiet roads for motorbiking very attractive.

For me, the West Country would win Alan, despite being a Hampshire Hog like yourself.
The countryside is even more beautiful than Hampshire (quite an achievement!) and the proximity of the beach and other amenities, coupled with a better standard of house/garden/outbuildings would tip the balance well and truly in Somersets favour.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 15:09   #4198
Steve 940
Premier Member

Rather nice 144 DL on forum sale section, looks top $$ at £7995

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...93#post2886993

These adverts always give me pause for thought, as it would appear owner done restoration back in 2018/19 hardly used since, and as selling due to bereavement, the chances are that he didn't really get to enjoy the fruits of his labour.

Carpe Diem !!!

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 16:16   #4199
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
For me, the West Country would win Alan, despite being a Hampshire Hog like yourself.
The countryside is even more beautiful than Hampshire (quite an achievement!) and the proximity of the beach and other amenities, coupled with a better standard of house/garden/outbuildings would tip the balance well and truly in Somersets favour.
Thank you for that Dave.

I do think Somerset could provide a really nice lifestyle - Hampshire might seem frantic in comparison. There are some family considerations to weigh at the same time.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2023 at 16:23.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 16:20   #4200
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Rather nice 144 DL on forum sale section, looks top $$ at £7995

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...93#post2886993

These adverts always give me pause for thought, as it would appear owner done restoration back in 2018/19 hardly used since, and as selling due to bereavement, the chances are that he didn't really get to enjoy the fruits of his labour.

Carpe Diem !!!

Cheers
Steve
I'd noticed that one Steve. You know my thoughts: you may never find that perfect motor car and may look back regretting you didn't take the plunge in a few years. I can't understand the proclivity towards a van with windows .