Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2044905

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 20:47   #481
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I thought the mouse had gone, but I gave the suspension a bounce as Bob walked past, it sounds like his rather quieter cousin has moved in. I changed both the drop links (as you say Dave, an easy enough job) and gave all the joints I could see a bit of lubrication - then had to drive over to the other side of town to find some sleeping policemen - and everything is much quieter. Many thanks.

While I had the car jacked up I took the wheel arch liner off and repaired the underside of the area where those awful mirrors were on the passenger side. I used a little GRP patch which should be fine. If I get time tomorrow I'll fill and sand the 4 holes and maybe even get some paint on (Poundland black gloss rattle cans are not a bad match).

I've got my mojo back after wasting a couple of days waiting for parts to arrive. I'll get the DAB adaptor fitted tomorrow, and my Triumph serviced on Sunday.

Time for Bob's last walk of the day.

Alan
Glad to hear your modjo bounced back and you had a productive day Alan!

Also pleased the drop links seem to have made a difference but i'm not holding my breath on a Mickey-Free front end yet!

I also had a bit of progress with my CD>mp3 conundrum. I connected the laptop to the WiFi/internet to get the metadata for the CDs i was trying to rip and suddenly everything went slow - errrrrrrrrrrrrr - make that S.....................L....................O...... ..........W!!!!!

Turned out it was downloading the mother-load of all updates and updating to Win10 from Win7 - wasn't happy!

Seems my guess about some optical drives not being compatible with Win10 was correct - it still works!
Downside is, the CD that i was trying to rip when the download happened now doesn't play very well, i suspect it got fried by the laser because of lack of movement. Hope not as not only was it a good one but one of my favourites too.

However, i seem to have finally sussed it and have started making som sensible progress at getting a few CDs onto the phone.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 14:42   #482
Othen
Premier Member

Default DAB Radio

The Nextbase DAB250 arrived with the postie today (good service). This is clearly a high quality product, everything needed for the installation was in the box, plus nice installation and operation guides (which stayed in the box, it is self-evident how to put this together).

It would not have taken long to have the gizmo up and going, but I decided to take my time and hide it away as best I could - so I've spent 2 hours taking trim off and re-fitting it.

The only issue I had was with the magnetic earth strap for the antenna - it is a good idea and well made - but in practice virtually useless as the inner shell of the car doesn't have any bare metal. The simple solution was to cut the end off the wire and crimp/shrink on a terminal so I could screw into one of the redundant screw holes for the sun visor bracket:

That worked fine and provided a really good return path.

The rest of the installation was simple, I hid the antenna lead behind the pillar furniture:

... and about 2 yards (yes really) of wires under the passenger side kick panel - fortunately the Royal Barge has lots of redundant space there. The result is pretty good, the unit came with both windshield and fascia mounts, I stuck it by the clock to cover a little hole the PO had put there:

I wired it into the Sony head unit with the Aux cable (supplied) and plugged it into the lighter socket:

The unit booted itself up as soon as I turned the key, and found about 100 stations. It plays through the Aux function on the Sony head unit. Reception is exactly the same as the digital radios we have in the Porsche and Skoda - it found the same stations and it cuts out at exactly the same dead areas near where we live as do the other two.

All in all I think this is an excellent solution for under £20. I suppose I'd have preferred a built in DAB/FM radio/CD/hands free capable head unit, but it was not really worth spending £125 on one of those when this does the job pretty well.

The bulbs for the clock turned up as well - I need it to get dark to see if they are effective.

Does anyone know under what circumstances the little light above the ash tray for the back seats illuminates? I changed the bulb but so far no extra photons are forthcoming - maybe there is a switch somewhere?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 21st, 2020 at 14:46.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 19:24   #483
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The bulbs for the clock turned up as well - I need it to get dark to see if they are effective.

Does anyone know under what circumstances the little light above the ash tray for the back seats illuminates? I changed the bulb but so far no extra photons are forthcoming - maybe there is a switch somewhere?

Alan
I'm pleased to say the lights for the clock work, so I can see it now, but it still a bit dim. I was only getting just over 10v at the bulb holder when I fitted them; I still suspect the rheostat may be resisting just a bit too much.

I still can't work out what controls the little light over the rear ash tray, it doesn't matter much, but I'd like to get everything working as it should. Does anyone know if it is switched by something (I've tried opening doors, turning the lights on USW)?

Alan
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 20:27   #484
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm pleased to say the lights for the clock work, so I can see it now, but it still a bit dim. I was only getting just over 10v at the bulb holder when I fitted them; I still suspect the rheostat may be resisting just a bit too much.

I still can't work out what controls the little light over the rear ash tray, it doesn't matter much, but I'd like to get everything working as it should. Does anyone know if it is switched by something (I've tried opening doors, turning the lights on USW)?

Alan
Which light over the ashtray Alan? Can you get a photo please? If it's the one i'm thinking it is, it's the seat belt warning light for rear passengers so will be out unless the dash mounted seat belt warning light is flashing.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 08:44   #485
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:

Alan
I think that it is on the main panel lighting circuit; rear seat passengers used to complain about it being on so I cut a toggle switch into the rear console, along with a second cigar lighter socket (sorry, in these anti-smoking times, a 12Volt accessory socket) to accompanythe ash-tray.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 12:47   #486
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Which light over the ashtray Alan? Can you get a photo please? If it's the one i'm thinking it is, it's the seat belt warning light for rear passengers so will be out unless the dash mounted seat belt warning light is flashing.
Hi Dave,

It is the one above the seatbelt warning light, you may see it here:

I don't think the seatbelt warning light illuminates in the back either (well, I have not noticed it, but I've never sat in the back), so maybe they work from the same +ve feed and neither powers up?

Alan
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 12:53   #487
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I think that it is on the main panel lighting circuit; rear seat passengers used to complain about it being on so I cut a toggle switch into the rear console, along with a second cigar lighter socket (sorry, in these anti-smoking times, a 12Volt accessory socket) to accompanythe ash-tray.
Thank you for that - in that case I need to do some investigation with a multi-meter because I'm nor sure the +ve feed is getting that far back.

My centre console has become very brittle, and as you may see here cracked last week when I inadvertently put my arm on it whilst getting in to the car.

I've repaired it with some gorilla tape for the mo, but I think I'll need a more robust solution. I was thinking of putting a GRP patch underneath as adhesives don't work that well on the material. Whilst it is out perhaps I'll install a USB charging socket instead, which would probably be more useful.

... the alternative is perhaps to look for a new console from a breakers, but they will all be at least 30 years old, and perhaps just as brittle.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 22nd, 2020 at 12:56.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 12:56   #488
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

Alan

I have not looked at that aspect of my jam jar recently. In my opinion that light "should" be wired with the courtesy lights. And. A switch in case rear seat passenger(s) desire it.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 13:38   #489
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for that - in that case I need to do some investigation with a multi-meter because I'm nor sure the +ve feed is getting that far back.

My centre console has become very brittle, and as you may see here cracked last week when I inadvertently put my arm on it whilst getting in to the car.

I've repaired it with some gorilla tape for the mo, but I think I'll need a more robust solution. I was thinking of putting a GRP patch underneath as adhesives don't work that well on the material. Whilst it is out perhaps I'll install a USB charging socket instead, which would probably be more useful.

... the alternative is perhaps to look for a new console from a breakers, but they will all be at least 30 years old, and perhaps just as brittle.

Alan
Both suggestions are good ones for the possible source of power for that light Alan, not seen one like that so can't advise any further.

As for the console, Milliput! Think "plasticine for grown ups" but it sets hard once moulded. Not much use as a "thin-film adhesive" and even if you could glue the console (i think they're ABS so one of the styrenes, should respond well to most glues), it would always be compromised in that area.
If you use Milliput, sand the surrounding area on the inside and build the thickness around the break/crack with MIlliput to reinforce it, perhaps adding a piece of steel mesh for added strength.

As for the USB port, loads of options there! I have a two port adaptor piggy-backed to the cig lighter in the 760, one output feeds the dash/reversing cam, the other feeds the BlueTooth/FM transmitter. If i need to charge my phone, i have the genuine Motorola two-way charger and lead for the cig lighter socket.
In the Rover i have similar (but yet to install the concealed 2-way USB) and also have a self-built USB charging socket concealed in a push-button switch blank near where my phone sits. A short (6") lead completes that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Dual-2...r/254262589886

This is similar to what i bought (except mine was a pack of 2 units) but there are loads of other options as well - ebay gives loads of choice.

Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 20:06   #490
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Both suggestions are good ones for the possible source of power for that light Alan, not seen one like that so can't advise any further.

As for the console, Milliput! Think "plasticine for grown ups" but it sets hard once moulded. Not much use as a "thin-film adhesive" and even if you could glue the console (i think they're ABS so one of the styrenes, should respond well to most glues), it would always be compromised in that area.
If you use Milliput, sand the surrounding area on the inside and build the thickness around the break/crack with MIlliput to reinforce it, perhaps adding a piece of steel mesh for added strength.

As for the USB port, loads of options there! I have a two port adaptor piggy-backed to the cig lighter in the 760, one output feeds the dash/reversing cam, the other feeds the BlueTooth/FM transmitter. If i need to charge my phone, i have the genuine Motorola two-way charger and lead for the cig lighter socket.
In the Rover i have similar (but yet to install the concealed 2-way USB) and also have a self-built USB charging socket concealed in a push-button switch blank near where my phone sits. A short (6") lead completes that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Dual-2...r/254262589886

This is similar to what i bought (except mine was a pack of 2 units) but there are loads of other options as well - ebay gives loads of choice.
I’ve ordered one of these Dave:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163192953871

I was going to wire it from the accessories fuse and put it in the passenger footwell to power the DAB adaptor and for Dan to charge his cell phone.