Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor economy and trouble starting when cold.

Views : 12854

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 17:22   #41
960kg
Premier Member

.....i do fully understand how you feel, but you can spend a fortune trying to recover that extra 5 mpg......when i bought my T4 the journey home gave me a good 38mpg that was 2yrs ago now i can`t get better than 28 on the info centre, but why, perhaps now i am used to it i use the power more so more fuel, yes, the turbo is turned up but when cruising along the turbo`s not being used......Do you remember those little glass things on the petrol pumps and when you pulled the trigger you could see the petrol swirling around before it got in the tank ,well they don`t have them any more, so whose to say we actually get a litre every time?......i have never trusted anything in this rip off Britain so perhaps that is the reason our mpg is suffering??????????????????????...i think i understand why you like your dog!!!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 17:24   #42
btsam
Master Member

what you getting out of a full tank fellas?

just managed 420 ish out of a full tank of v-power, mostly mway cruising and the odd dart up a b-road to the mither in laws for sunday tea

s

Showroom thread - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85795
btsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 17:32   #43
Dog_Book
Idiot

Can get 380

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 18:00   #44
samoilis1970
VOC Member

Red face

I can get only 340 miles on my v40 2.0t ,I have replace the fuel pump,fpr,and thermostat,the temp,is always siting on 89,91,and I do 55 65 on the motorway.Does that sounds normal mileage out of a tank of fuel? The car is 1999 on the T reg.
samoilis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 18:42   #45
DWM28

Around 400 miles out of a tank with my 1.8 S40.
DWM28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 19:47   #46
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
.....i do fully understand how you feel, but you can spend a fortune trying to recover that extra 5 mpg......when i bought my T4 the journey home gave me a good 38mpg that was 2yrs ago now i can`t get better than 28 on the info centre, but why, perhaps now i am used to it i use the power more so more fuel, yes, the turbo is turned up but when cruising along the turbo`s not being used......Do you remember those little glass things on the petrol pumps and when you pulled the trigger you could see the petrol swirling around before it got in the tank ,well they don`t have them any more, so whose to say we actually get a litre every time?......i have never trusted anything in this rip off Britain so perhaps that is the reason our mpg is suffering??????????????????????...i think i understand why you like your dog!!!
Stats reckon 22.6 mpg urban, 43.5mpg extra urban and 32.5mpg combined for a 1.8 auto. I've got a 112 mile round trip to crewe tommorow, prob about 100 Mway miles. I'll zero the trip and see what i get.

As the last 2 years has seen me cover about 17500 miles a year I think a few extra mpg will save me a lot in fuel, especially the way prices are going. thats why im so keen to figure out if i have a problem.

How accurate are forecourt fuel pumps? Seems like pumps are ok to me, besides you can normally judge by your fuel gauge roughly how much fuel you have used.

Sam, normally around 400 to a tank.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:24   #47
tt82
Forum Support Team

So after yesterdays Nw meet I now have a few other things to look into. Oil from the K&N filter fowling the MAF/IAT sensors, the cold warm air flap in the airbox, possibly changing to BP from Shell as the new Shell fuel saver seems to make cars run poor and possibly leaking seals on the injectors.

Given I said that car seems worse at normal running tempature and better when its cold I really interested in the cold/warm airbox flap.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 14:10   #48
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
So after yesterdays Nw meet I now have a few other things to look into. Oil from the K&N filter fowling the MAF/IAT sensors, the cold warm air flap in the airbox, possibly changing to BP from Shell as the new Shell fuel saver seems to make cars run poor and possibly leaking seals on the injectors.

Given I said that car seems worse at normal running tempature and better when its cold I really interested in the cold/warm airbox flap.
I took the flap out of mine and opened the chamber up a little. I dont have a hot feed anymore only cold

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 18:04   #49
andy_d
Premier Member

Thats not the 1st time ive heard shell "fuel saver" fuel causing p*ss poor running and fuel system leaks.

Tried a 1/2 tank of it in my 1.8auto, ran like a bag o sh*te and then some, utter waste of far too much £ on a fuel. as in red light to 1/2 full, Thank Gawd i didnt fill the tank with that utter sh*te. got it down to 1/4 tank, brimmed it with 95 asda "finest" and it slowly started to behave.

after 2tanks its now back to "asda" 95ron and it runs like a swiss watch.

getting 32-33 mpg combined, on asda 95, and drive like hoon at times.

Sister also tried shell fuel saver, her poor little toyota thing nearly sh*t itself out the exhaust pipe. her car is currently at the dealers having fuel injector seals replaced.
Odd, the cars 2.5 years old , never had a single issue until the tank of shell "fuel saver",, now it needs a few £100's worth of labour/parts,,,

Fuel saver, If by that they mean the car ends up being recovered on a breakdown lorry, thus saving the fuel in the car, yes ill agree with them, anything else is pure 100% bulldust.
Old May 7th, 2011, 20:50   #50
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well currently 1/3 of the way into a tank full of BP Ultimate and quite a difference, normally on Shell normal 'Fuelsaver' unleaded, when going over the Barton Bridge on the M60 at 65mph using cruise control the car would kick down to 4th, today it glided over no problem. Economy seems to be better as well.