Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1968 US Combi Being Outfitted with Vintage Performance Parts

Views : 14884

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 15:13   #41
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Yes you need a steering boss to go with the wheel.

I like this steering wheel and think it looks right other than the bolts.
I have something in mind that is going to go on both the horn button and the hub covers on the new wheels.

The bolts that were temporary have already been replaced with button-headed Allen bolts.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 15:39   #42
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
Love the steering wheel, really looks the part! Did you have to change the boss also? Just wondered as I had to do this on my old VW Beetle when changing to a smaller sports wheel, wondered if it was the same for the Amazon's? Thanks.
Yes, the ribbed adaptor just in front of the wheel is needed for all applications and is available from Nardi or one of their distributors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 18:41   #43
Vintagewrench

Happy New Year everyone!!! Have not posted any updates lately because the shop (photo of part of it below) was really busy this season with clients cars and I did not have the to time to do as much as I had planned to on the 220 in the spring.

Although that did not stop me from driving it almost 2500 miles this year up until the first snow storm three weeks ago when the roads were salted. In that time I was able to get a better feel for what needed attention this winter. Also was able to gather some new old stock, and used hard to get trim pieces for the body, a P1800 transmission tunnel for the shifter conversion, a rare Judson Supercharger boost gauge, and a set of new and unused circa-late 1960s Marchal Amplilux 2-bulb and 2-reflector headlights in the boxes like I used to use on my 122s cars years ago and a number of other parts.

During that time had to replace the ignition coil after it began to fail, install a new clutch master cylinder, rubber hose and slave cylinder. After 190,000 miles the cylinders were both quite worn and were replaced with a new set in the interest of long term reliability.

Also was able to solve a driveline noise issue which was caused by a sagged rubber trans mount and a loose and cracked steel bracket that attaches it to the transmission.

It will be coming back into the shop in the next week or two when the engine and transmission will be removed for a rebuild. The Judson supercharger is on my workbench and the rebuild of that will also be finished up.

L to R: 1915 Duesenberg racing car that finished 2nd at the 1916 Indianaplois 500. It was back on the track at Indy this year for vintage racing held just before the for the 100th running of the race this past May. In the center is a 1914 Mercer Raceabout I also care for and get to race on occasion. It set a speed of 112 mph on the beach at Daytona in the teens. On the right is a 1914 Simplex from the Collier Collection that took up most of my time this year finishing up a mechanical restoration.

The Simplex 600 c.i two-cam four cylinder engine. It is 42-inches long which will give you an idea of just how large it is.

The 4-speed trans, diff and the double chain drive. Many of these cars were raced in the period and with bigger front sprockets could go over 100 mph.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:30   #44
northNH

Two thumbs and two big toes up...
Need synchros?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (351.6 KB, 27 views)
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 09:09   #45
tdz840
VOC Member

Very nice cars
Love the stance of the Amazon estate.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 11:41   #46
arcturus
arcturus

Must be nice to have all the facilities. If I had space like that I would do so much more.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 19:27   #47
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by northNH View Post
Two thumbs and two big toes up...
Need synchros?
"Two thumbs and two big toes up… Thanks, good to hear you like it!

As soon as I get the trans and overdrive apart I will be in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Very nice cars
Love the stance of the Amazon estate.
Russ
Thanks, Russ, You can thank Volvo for the ride height - after 49-years and 190,000 miles the springs have settled about 2-inches. The wheels are 6" and 7" wide Chrysler wheels with 195 & 205 x 15" tires and have the perfect backspacing, they do not stick out, and do not rub the wheel wells at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Must be nice to have all the facilities. If I had space like that I would do so much more.
Yes, but unfortunately the restoration and machine shop is usually filled w/client's vintage racing cars and I have a hard time getting my own cars in at times.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 17:07   #48
Vintagewrench

Good news for the Volvo - Hope to have this Simplex that many of you were interested in finished this weekend or Monday. As soon as it's in the trailer the 1968 220 is coming in the shop so the engine and transmission can removed for a rebuild.

CHECK OUT this early 589 c.i. Simplex in the video (below) out on the road for a trial run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LnZLOeFRw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 13:56   #49
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Superb! Matt needs a drone, that would be a big plus.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 13:01   #50
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Superb! Matt needs a drone, that would be a big plus.
It would add another dimension to the future videos we are going to shoot later this year.