Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Evaporator Temp Sensor Location ?

Views : 20281

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 21:14   #41
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
The multimeter was just to confirm if the original sensor was bad, but you said the garage have now confirmed this ?
Ah right. Yes they confirm it was bad, and was given the wrong reading.
R3dbvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 12:45   #42
timh30

Hi - sorry for delay. I've still not had chance to take photos, so I've copied some from the web to illustrate the steps.

1. Disconnect the car battery, see instructions in attached image.
2. Remove the climate control unit, see this link for instructions http://www.jcrdevelopments.com/node/259
3. Unplug all the connectors to the back of the climate control unit
4. Remove the piece of trim in the drivers footwell, see attached picture
5. if you look up behind this piece of trim you should see the white plastic of the evaporator housing
6. Using your soldering iron, melt a hole in this white plastic at the location in the attached picture (from the markings on the plastic you should be able to copy the location accurately), make the hole size just big enough to insert the 'probe' end of the IAT sensor (it should click in place). use a knife to trim the surface.
7. cut 2 pieces of wire long enough to run from this hole to the back of the climate unit (30-40cm?)
8. Solder one end of each piece of wire to the pins on the IAT sensor (or find a suitable connector and solder to the wires from the connector - I used an old sound card cable)
9. Push the sensor into the hole - mine clipped into place without any glue, but if the whole is too large, you may need a bit of glue to hold in place.
10. Run the 2 wires through to the back of the climate unit.
11. Identify the connector with the brown and purple wires, on the appropriate connector (see image). Double check this is the correct connector and wires before cutting! **
12. Cut the wires at the connector (leave 4-5cm from the connector itself), then solder to the wires from the new IAT sensor (it shouldnt matter which way round they are). If you have heat shrink use this, or just use insulating tape.
13. Plug the connectors back into the Climate unit, reconnect the battery and test your climate control. Hopefully the compressor pipes will no longer freeze over and you'll hear the compressor clicking on and off.
14. If all is ok, put the climate unit back in place and the piece of trim.

** I'm assuming your colour coding is the same - not sure what year your car is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery replace instructions.JPG (97.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg back of climate.JPG (80.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg footwell trim.JPG (66.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg evap1.jpg (49.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg evap2.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg connector.JPG (63.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg iat sensor.JPG (59.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg battery.JPG (58.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by timh30; Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:54.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timh30 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 13:41   #43
R3dbvll

Quote:
Hi - sorry for delay. I've still not had chance to take photos, so I've copied some from the web to illustrate the steps.

1. Disconnect the car battery, see instructions in attached image.
2. Remove the climate control unit, see this link for instructions http://www.jcrdevelopments.com/node/259
3. Unplug all the connectors to the back of the climate control unit
4. Remove the piece of trim in the drivers footwell, see attached picture
5. if you look up behind this piece of trim you should see the white plastic of the evaporator housing
6. Using your soldering iron, melt a hole in this white plastic at the location in the attached picture (from the markings on the plastic you should be able to copy the location accurately), make the hole size just big enough to insert the 'probe' end of the IAT sensor (it should click in place). use a knife to trim the surface.
7. cut 2 pieces of wire long enough to run from this hole to the back of the climate unit (30-40cm?)
8. Solder one end of each piece of wire to the pins on the IAT sensor (or find a suitable connector and solder to the wires from the connector - I used an old sound card cable)
9. Push the sensor into the hole - mine clipped into place without any glue, but if the whole is too large, you may need a bit of glue to hold in place.
10. Run the 2 wires through to the back of the climate unit.
11. Identify the connector with the brown and purple wires, on the appropriate connector (see image). Double check this is the correct connector and wires before cutting! **
12. Cut the wires at the connector (leave 4-5cm from the connector itself), then solder to the wires from the new IAT sensor (it shouldnt matter which way round they are). If you have heat shrink use this, or just use insulating tape.
13. Plug the connectors back into the Climate unit, reconnect the battery and test your climate control. Hopefully the compressor pipes will no longer freeze over and you'll hear the compressor clicking on and off.
14. If all is ok, put the climate unit back in place and the piece of trim.

** I'm assuming your colour coding is the same - not sure what year your car is.

Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate it. The first chance I'll have to take a look is this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT : forgot to say, my car is a 2002 (52 plate).

Last edited by R3dbvll; Jul 16th, 2012 at 14:01.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 20:37   #44
timh30

Hopefully as its an 52 it should be the same as my 2001 model.

By the way, when disconnecting the battery you only need to remove the black negative lead.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:53   #45
R3dbvll

Quote:
Hopefully as its an 52 it should be the same as my 2001 model.

By the way, when disconnecting the battery you only need to remove the black negative lead.
I'm pretty sure it is the same. Any pointers on the process of disconnecting the battery? I've read all sorts of scare stories on this. Should the ignition be off for a period of time before disconnection for example? And what about reconnection?

EDIT : Forget what I said about the battery, the picture you included gives the relevant instructions!

Last edited by R3dbvll; Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:05.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 14:50   #46
R3dbvll

Default Help!

Hi timh30

I have a very bad feeling that the 2002 design is not the same as the 2001
design.

I got the AC control unit out ok, and removed the piece of trim in the drivers foot well, only to find that nothing looked like the photos you posted. All I see are black plastic pipes (for the air I assume), and no sign of any white thing that might be an evaporator.

Looks like I can't upload any images so I put them here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1036097...eat=directlink

Thanks (in hope!)
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 20:38   #47
R3dbvll

OK I realised that there was probably more to this that I initially thought. I had to remove another panel, that sits over the pedals. When I did that, I found what looks to be the evaporator casing.

It looks a bit different to your pictures Tim, but I think I know why - my car is an automatic, and yours is a manual.

I took a few more photos of the view of the evap. Tim, could you take a look and confirm that the white box there is the same evap casing you are talking about, and sticking a hole anywhere in there would do the job?

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dbvll View Post
Hi timh30

I have a very bad feeling that the 2002 design is not the same as the 2001
design.

I got the AC control unit out ok, and removed the piece of trim in the drivers foot well, only to find that nothing looked like the photos you posted. All I see are black plastic pipes (for the air I assume), and no sign of any white thing that might be an evaporator.

Looks like I can't upload any images so I put them here:

Thanks (in hope!)
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 21:49   #48
timh30

Hi - yes that white plastic is the evaporator housing. Obviously on my pictures the clutch pedal is partially in the way. If you reference the bit of plastic that protrudes at the bottom with the join part of the way up (on my picture as well) you should be able to create the hole in the same place.

I've edited one of your pictures to show where you want the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg location for hole.JPG (111.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by timh30; Jul 21st, 2012 at 21:54.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 23:19   #49
R3dbvll

Quote:
Hi - yes that white plastic is the evaporator housing. Obviously on my pictures the clutch pedal is partially in the way. If you reference the bit of plastic that protrudes at the bottom with the join part of the way up (on my picture as well) you should be able to create the hole in the same place.

I've edited one of your pictures to show where you want the hole.
Thanks for that! Took me a little while to figure out why your pictures were different to mine - yours has a clutch pedal in it!

I'll have a go at completing this tomorrow, and report back....
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 21:35   #50
timh30

Any luck with fixing the A/C ?