Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dead engine moments - 760T

Views : 3046

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2014, 21:29   #41
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Ah-hah!

A different mecco has found a possible cause or two.

First the blowoff hose (Volvo part no 1556977) had a big tear in it. One is on the way from VOlvo heritage parts - but I found a turbo hose supplier in the midlands who is also sending me one - apparently Don Kalmar buys bits from him so people with NLA Volvo turbo hoses may want to know that.

Second - I have 3 good spark plugs - but number one looks as if it sparked the ark. And some ****ymecco in the past has crossed the thread. Just why the kiddies who did the last head gasket on her did not extract that plug while the head was off, god knows. Turns a bit one way, a bit the other. If they glued it in with chemical metal I am going to be incandescent with rage but they did a runner long ago so I will be unable to kick the shi1t out of them.

Once the engine is running after a fashion, we'' try getting her hot. The plug is swimming in TT penetrating lubricant at the moment and with heat it MAY come out. Then the thread can with luck be helicoiled. I am going to be VERY grumpy if the head has to come off when the H/G is fine, and I'm going to be even more grumpy if the 531 head is fubarred.

Of course, we may do all this and STILL find that the B relay is an issue.

And I've found a couple of small corrosion spots - one of which will need a trim piece that is I think NLA to be broken out and later replaced to deal with.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 14:21   #42
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Oh.

Turbo hose inserted. HT caps replaced on plugs. No life at all. Grrr.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 14:19   #43
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Spoke to mecco

He said he'd taken ALL the intake side hoses off in order thoroughly to check them and so had unplugged quite a few things. His advice was to wiggle them all to see what happened. I wiggled the electrical connector on the pipe between the intercooler and the intake manifold, the one on the MAF, the ones on the coil, and the HT caps.

Brrm, brrm!

Short test drive - no sign of the cutting out either. Longer test drive may be called for.

A few geegees seem still to be missing - places I used to be able to do 62.5mph I can now only do 55 (multiply by 2 to make sense without alarming the speeding bots) - but it is progress.
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:38   #44
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default So far so good.

Took her to Maidstone and back from the Isle of Grain - no dead engine moments. Maybe a smidgeon uneven, at times, as if one cylinder is not quite all there, but that is probably the REALLY old spark plug that we are going to have to figure out how to change without wrecking the 531 head...
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 11:56   #45
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Still going nicely

Took her around the Mudway towns last night on a couple of errands. All good so far...