Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPT or HPT ??

Views : 1805

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2018, 23:08   #41
griston64
Premier Member

Default That's cleared that up then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Sorry ! I'm looking at the American VIN system where 58 in your VIN is engine , I'm off to bed ! Sorry for confusion .

griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 23:26   #42
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

This thread is all getting a bit confusing so to clear some things up.

B230ET uses the Garret T3 turbo and for a power point of view is the best turbo.

B230FK low pressure turbo can either have the 13c or a small Garret set at low boost pressure.

B230FT same turbos as above but with a stronger actuator spring.

The GT uses the 13c with the same actuator as the FT but with the added turbo plus kit for short bursts of even higher boost pressure.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 00:17   #43
Jimsiss

I have in my car the FT engine but all the insurance companies tell me it’s a LPT (I think it says it on the log book too). I have the sticker that says it’s an FT on the cam belt cover and the VIN says FT too. Also has the boost gauge on the dash.

I put it down to the original owner being the owner of a Volvo dealership and fiddling it to get cheaper insurance. Not that it matters now as I have a 16T and MBC on it now so insurance is higher anyway.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 00:59   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
I put it down to the original owner being the owner of a Volvo dealership and fiddling it to get cheaper insurance. Not that it matters now as I have a 16T and MBC on it now so insurance is higher anyway.
Asking a silly question - why would the owner of a Volvo dealership need to fiddle his insurance?

Chances are it would have been insured on a fleet policy through the dealership, even if it was his own personal chariot. That's how an ex-boss of mine did it, he had a Lancia Thema V6 (B280E) that was his own personal car but insured through his dealership.

He also tried telling me it was the Ferrari engined version which would have made it the 8.32 and LHD as they didn't make a RHD 8.32 at the time, if ever.

Also it drove like a V6 and when i snuck a peek under the bonnet to confirm my suspicions, only 6 plug leads!

Chances are, your car was registered by either a confused salesmen or the boss decided he wanted the registration allocated to an LPT so the reg was swapped and they forgot to change LPT for HPT on the paperwork. It could also have been registered by a secretary who might have been looking at the wrong document when she filled the form in.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 06:20   #45
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It could also have been registered by a secretary who might have been looking at the wrong document when she filled the form in.
How very sexist of you Dave assuming the secretary was a lady! I bet she was using man size tissues to blow her nose too!!!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 07:01   #46
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post

B230FK low pressure turbo can either have the 13c or a small Garret set at low boost pressure.

B230FT same turbos as above but with a stronger actuator spring.
Yup, I concur.

Turbos are the same for B230FK/B230FT bar the actuator
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 08:20   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
How very sexist of you Dave assuming the secretary was a lady! I bet she was using man size tissues to blow her nose too!!!
No assumptions necessary Luke, she nearly became my step-mum and it was actually motorbikes in this case, somewhere there is (or at least was, it's 35 years ago now) a GS-X250 registered as a 400!

As for the tissues, if it was the ones on her work desk, yes they were mansize, mainly because her boss (the owner of the company) used to use them as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 09:26   #48
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
I have in my car the FT engine but all the insurance companies tell me it’s a LPT (I think it says it on the log book too). I have the sticker that says it’s an FT on the cam belt cover and the VIN says FT too. Also has the boost gauge on the dash.

Perhaps our cars were swapped at birth
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 15:23   #49
Jimsiss

I think it was the last car he had before retiring or closing the dealership so no fleet insurance.