Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Realistic MPG for 2.0D and 2.4

Views : 13855

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 21:17   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlev70r View Post
Im not even going to point out that Volvo (and I doubt many would ague this point) are known for many many things from sidelights that never go out to huge estates built like tanks, then you have the T5s / comfort and reliability but never have I associated the name Volvo with economy
The new 1.6D DRIVe models will offer outstanding fuel consumption of 64.2mpg on the C30 and 62.8mpg in the S40 and V50, with VED Band B CO2 figures of just 115g/km for the C30 and 118g/km for the S40 and V50. These new low emissions mean that the Volvo S40 and V50 offer best-in-class CO2 in their segments.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 22:50   #42
Dazzlev70r

Im not so sure as it goes
I found my V70 after dropping back a demo V50 drive our company had on test

it was agread ( 4 of us used it) none of us could get more than 35 MPG from it

Accepted we all drive like we stole them (company policy for rented temp cars) but once there i took a V70 out and was so shocked by the power i placed a deposit there and then

Last week i was in dealers sorting stuff out and the economy did come up so we went to the demo car ( used by one of salesman) and the computer showed 41MPG
When you think of other cars in its class Volvo shouldnt use economy as a sales point lol
Now without argument on safety and even security they gotta be one of the best, But like the others they want to be seen as "green" so they claim it and it gives us something to moan about, yet deep down did any of us realy expect amazing economy from something so large and heavy
There a long distance cruiser, yes they have economy ranges, hey they also have race derivatives but no one slate them for not seeing off M3s etc
Ive got an Audi A4 2.0D
now thats a lot lighter and if you throw it about disgustingly thirsty
DodgyKen hits the nail on head when he says compare the economy to those in its current class
Id like to hear of some people with the Drive models opinions on the economy they getting
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:10   #43
avtur

There are some interesting comments about the V50 DRIVe over on the V50 pages, seem to indicate the figures are achievable ...

What about the V70 DRIVe, they're putting the same 1.6 engine from the V50 into the V70. 1700 kgs of V70 with 109 bhp, its not going to be fast but who knows for those who are not 'pedal to the metal' merchants it might just work.

Back on the mpg trail for the other models is it that some folks don't achieve the Volvo figures on the computer or is that the computer is just not accurate?

In principle I do agree with 'davew' about not worrying over a couple of mpg here and there ... but at around 30k miles a year it hits me slightly more than some. If I can get the V70 2.0D demo to crack 40 mpg overall that will do for me ....
avtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:18   #44
Dazzlev70r

Avtur 2 of my workmates both have the 2.0 and are getting +40MPG as it goes

As for small engines in big cars, yes im not going to argue that someone who buys a DRIVe specificly for the economy will get somewhere near the targets.
You though like most of us who hit +20K a year simply wont

Ive never seen anyone use a car for high mileage drive the way they need to be driven
Im not saying your a "mondeo man" thrashing gears talking on phone undertaking etc but im sure you will laugh and accept if you sit in a car with a low mileage driver the progress they make can irritate you and you would be not more aggressive driver (i call it progressive)

As most fuel is burnt on lift off ( i mean pulling away) and getting to speed to drive a big heavy car with a 1.6 engine long distances will mean using more fuel
You dont see many travelling reps in corsas or KAs ( not those who tramp around anyway)
Im just saying course economy is important especialy if you do huge miles, but then look at the comfort you get.
Never forget this i was ready to go to Belgium from Norfolk for a fags and wine run the day my car got hit and imobilized

To my horror they gave me a Nissan Micra on friday night until something could be arranged on monday

We still went, 4 of us in this little Micra, yes ca could hit and stayed at 80MPH most of the way but on return home i was knackred like i had pedaled it
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:57   #45
dodgyken
Master Member

I would love my HEICO D5 to get 40+mpg on a regular basis - but I know it won't - ever. I can get it on a run - and better if I drive Miss Daisy. But I don't. I enjoy all 210PS and 470NM nestled under my (heavy) right foot.

However I know how to Eco-drive - I try not to brake - lifting off instead - looking ahead - etc etc - which balances out the full throttle runs.

On the flip side, on Friday I drove from Zurich to London - Calais took 8 hours (850km) including 45mins stuck in traffice round Strasbourg - we stopped after 500km (just under 5 hours) - 5 HOURS!! 5 hours at the wheel - not feeling uncomfortable, not feeling tired - after a quick fill of fuel, and empty (bladder) we were off again - supreme comfort.

Life is too short to get paranoid about MPG
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:36   #46
avtur

Smile

Test drive day one, have put 350 miles on the clock (mostly none motorway), very comfortable I like it. Demo car is an SE Lux with a number of extras too, I'm looking at an off the shelf SE.

I am a high mileage driver and I like to make progress but I am not a pedal to the meal merchant. I have a reputation for extracting good mpg from my cars, I'm afraid I'm one of those anal types who keeps detailed records of miles fuel etc. (driven in part because I have to keep records for work).

I reset the fuel computer when the car was delivered, at present the average mpg is showing 47.4 mpg. However looking at the fuel gauge I have a feeling that is somewhat optimistic!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 14:27   #47
Dazzlev70r

Thats a good figure as it goes

An im smiling as the worse offenders with heavy feet are those who claim not to be

We tested the SE is yours a 2.0?
watching with interest
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:11   #48
avtur

Smile

OK, test drive complete, a total of 591 miles covered, great car, just got to decide on colour but will be ordering a 2.0D SE. Computer was showing 48.7 average mpg at the end of the demo, even knocking a bit off for being optimistic I can live with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to avtur For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:53   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

i had a V50 2.0 D for a few days to do 4 x 100 mile trips and i too could not better 48 real mpg . i was driving for economy too didnt go over 70 or 2000 rpm .
A V70 163 D5 will do this so thats what i'd go for !
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 21:45   #50
cargo unit

I have a V70 2002MY 2.4 D5 SE Auto which has been remapped by Superchips and get 45mpg on average with a mix of 50:50 town:motorway driving.
cargo unit is offline   Reply With Quote