Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 brake upgrade

Views : 12620

Replies : 165

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2014, 22:52   #41
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
This front upgrade will unbalance the car as you do not mention the rears. You could find yourself flipping ends and having an accident.
Your insurance will drop you like a hot patotoe when they discover you have modified the cars braking system. Regards Peter
Shame you live so far north. If you can make it down to Castle Combe at the end of this month you can watch me have another go at making the car flip. Coming over Avon Rise last year I was hitting 110-115mph and then having to hammer the brakes to take Quarry. Made it each time

I'll be having another go next month if you want to watch. I'd even be happy to take you out for a passenger lap if you feel brave enough LOL.

And the car is happy enough when braking on normal roads as well.

And as far as insurance goes, the last two insurers were happy enough not to suck their teeth and go "oooh, that'll cost you". They were quite happy with the explanation that I used original Volvo parts.

Oh, and ask yourself, what size brakes and which calipers did the later P2 T5's run? Good enough for plod as well ................

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2014, 23:47   #42
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Shame you live so far north. If you can make it down to Castle Combe at the end of this month you can watch me have another go at making the car flip. Coming over Avon Rise last year I was hitting 110-115mph and then having to hammer the brakes to take Quarry. Made it each time

I'll be having another go next month if you want to watch. I'd even be happy to take you out for a passenger lap if you feel brave enough LOL.

And the car is happy enough when braking on normal roads as well.

And as far as insurance goes, the last two insurers were happy enough not to suck their teeth and go "oooh, that'll cost you". They were quite happy with the explanation that I used original Volvo parts.

Oh, and ask yourself, what size brakes and which calipers did the later P2 T5's run? Good enough for plod as well ................
Haha... I was wondering who would show up first lol
got any tips for replacement disks and pads? Not for race but fast road if you know what I mean I have mintex pads and (I think) brembo disks and they're pretty bloody awesome.
Old May 21st, 2014, 00:09   #43
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Apologies but I just run genuine Volvo stuff, discs and pad-wise, not even plod pads. Works for me on and off-track.

But I'm a smog generator. The angelic types in the petrols reach higher terminal velocity so might disagree.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:35   #44
bertbuckie
I've Been Banned

ebay bargain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010936767...84.m1497.l2649

Just got 2 calipers for £70 delivered

Martin, can you remember if you needed a specific type of bolt or what size ? Just to save me faffing about on the day.

Last edited by bertbuckie; May 21st, 2014 at 07:39.
bertbuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:15   #45
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

It's M14 coarse thread but I can't remember how long it needs to be. Something like 50 or 60mm but I'd get a 70mm and cut it down. It needs to finish flush on the caliper.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:17   #46
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

What bothers me about that listing is the lack of info - there's several sizes of disk the XC90 uses and I'm not sure if it's the caliper or the stub axle that governs the disk size with those.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:19   #47
bertbuckie
I've Been Banned

emailed him so will know soon...... worst case I send them back or flog them on
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:21   #48
bertbuckie
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
It's M14 coarse thread but I can't remember how long it needs to be. Something like 50 or 60mm but I'd get a 70mm and cut it down. It needs to finish flush on the caliper.
Is it a hex head or an allen bolt ?
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:23   #49
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertbuckie View Post
emailed him so will know soon...... worst case I send them back or flog them on
I'd like to say they look right but the pictures are too dark and only from one angle.

If they are size dependant, you'll have 316, 320 or 336 iirc so you'll still be on bigger disks than standard. And those calipers are real "bite-y". I found out pretty quick that the initial bite is pretty lively and will have your passengers headbutting the windscreen a few times before you get used to it.
My mate had a S80 D5 and when I let him drive mine, we nose-dived and stopped 10 feet from the first junction we came to hahaha
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:24   #50
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertbuckie View Post
Is it a hex head or an allen bolt ?
Normal hex, grade 8.8 or above. I'm gonna go see if there's any about in the workshop in a little while, save you a couple of quid.