Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

replacing brake discs

Views : 10475

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 13:56   #41
Al115
Premier Member

Default RE: Standard spec brakes v big brake kit

So, how do I "make the brakes bigger" without spending a grand for a big brake conversion kit? I lack the skills (and confidence) to build my own calliper brackets.

Fluid is already improved (running the recommended 5.1 stuff from VT), braided hoses, and I'm using police-spec 302mm discs and pads as mentioned. Presumably I could change to *stuff or DS pads, which might help bite but not affect the fade problem?

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...357v70-sig.jpg
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 14:58   #42
Simon J
Premier Member

Alastair,

YOu obviously haven't been reading this 'pedantic' thread carefully enough - you also need a set of Brembo caliper covers! }(

Simon J
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 18:13   #43
bobcat
Premier Member

ok, here is my take on this:

the best setup for performance is the BBK's period!!!! - you have a bigger disc for more mechanical advantage, and more meat for better coooling and warp resistance.

the main advantage of the bbk is the bigger disc that run cooler and wont warp.

but we all dont need this level of performance and cant afford to spend a grand plus on them.

The ferodo ds2500 pads and some good brake fluid will meet nearly everyones needs.

I have the 302mm discs and ds2500's and have yet been about to push this combo to fade. 130mph + emergency stops have also failed to fade this setup.

just putting on\in new pads and brake fluid will give you stunning results for very little money in comparison.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 23:08   #44
Cypher007
Master Member

ok i seem to have started a small fire ;). now back to the original idea. i dont drive like a loony, but on occasion where i have a very long piece of road with no Kodak shops, somtimes have a bit of a burn off of that expensive rocket fuel called unleaded, actually i think rocket fuels cheaper. anyway when it comes to slowing down it dosent feel good, so im looking for a cheap upgrade to stop me once, and dont say an anchor. from what i can decipher from the heated discusion is probably a 302mm brembo with adaptor brackets and maybe an uprated pad. one thing i dont want to end up with is a car with nasty snatching brakes when used around town, i still want some progressivness. oh and braided lines and 5.1 dot as well.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 23:24   #45
Simon J
Premier Member

I wouldn't have called this a heated discussion by any means, certainly not in comparison to some that we've seen recently! But any discussion on brakes always gets round to the theory and practice of what bobcat refers to as BBKs - and the difference is often greater in theory than in practice! I think bobcat has it spot on: the best value option for ordinary day to day use has to be 302mm with an uprated pad both to give a bit more bite and improve fade. Plus of course new fluid (you probably won't see any benefit from 5.1 over 4 in ordinary use but it's a nice comfort factor) and braided hoses. And of course you have the added advantage that replacement costs are significantly less than any of the BBKs. While my 320mm are nice to have, they certainly aren't worth their list price. But they do look nice, in an unobtrusive sort of way!!!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 00:36   #46
Traduk

I do not know what wheels are fitted to your car or if you have after-market larger wheels fitted.

My '99 V70 T5 has 16inch Perfos wheras the earlier 850 T5's had Columbas. They look similar (like a 5 bladed fan) but the Perfo has a line on each before curving into the wheel whereas the Columba is rounded. As yours is an R it may have different wheels but the reason I have posted is because 302mm disks have been stated as not fitting inside 16 inch Columba wheels.

I was fortunate as my car was already fitted with 302mm front disks but the standard Volvo disks\pads left more than a lot to be desired. I have Brembo disks with Ferodo fast road pads (Ds2000 spec.). They are much better than standard Volvo fitment (302mm) but hardly awe inspiring. People in the trade who have driven my car and consequently can compare with many other Volvos have said that they are good, much better than standard but waaaay short of the AP Racing kit.

If you wish to have a relatively low cost upgrade the 302mm disk is probably the route to take but I would suggest that you check that they will fit in your wheels. As for braided lines and higher grade fluid... I would leave those until later unless you need (almost certainly) longer lines for new hangers. My pedal felt softish with stock pads but is rock hard with the Ferodo pads. I have never had fade or pedal softening with the new combo so I feel that new lines and higher spec fluid would have been over-kill.

You appear to have been a good customer to Don, so why not give him a ring and he can guide you through your options. I would certainly be thinking twice (in honesty not even once) if a brake upgrade invoved sourcing new wheels and 4 new boots which would be a certainly for me and possibly for you with a big brake kit.

Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:02   #47
bobcat
Premier Member

if you cant go to the 302's i would look a slotted rotors and if possible get some heat treated ones as they will be less likely to warp.

Has anyone tried overheating new discs by harding driving untill they get that permanent blue tint then get them turned - reckon this would work well.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:14   #48
Simon J
Premier Member

There are some interesting technical papers on braking systems and modifying them on the Stoptech site at:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 14:45   #49
Cypher007
Master Member

its a T5R so has 17" Titans. so i need some 302mm brembo's?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 18:41   #50
Cypher007
Master Member

also where can i buy the 280 to 302 caliper brackets?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)