Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AVOID HEL Brake Hoses - New hoses burst!

Views : 6373

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 20:04   #41
tiredted
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Sorry , but i always get jumped on but this time what does go around eventually does come around!!

So you are doing it all again using using cheap as chips brake fluid and proud of the fact!

Why do you buy supposedly better hoses but put the cheapest brake fluid through them?...what are you trying to achieve?

OK, so i know Pagid pads etc. are excellent brake components but owning an older Volvo that you cherish you should only really use genuine Volvo Parts for important applications...engines, brakes, steering etc.

You aftermarket lot never ever learn and just complain after the horse has bolted and say your life was at risk well, rather my wallet at risk and my life still here.

I always used to be ridiculed as i always, always used Volvo parts as hurtling along at the galactic speeds in a turbo Volvo is no mean task. But i am here still to witness these burst braided brake lines but sadly you never ever learn and still buy not recommended brake fluid.

Look at this link and it states "Should not be mixed with different brake fluids" .....so how much Volvo fluid still in the circuit?

Have you thought this may be the reason for failure of the braided aftermarket special part that you still cannot see and admire behind the wheels?

Get real Who manufactures volvo brake pads/ anti freeze /brake fluid /suspension components/ steering gear / clutches / spark plugs / radiators etc etc ....Volvo ??

No there all produced by quality manufactures who supply volvo and also supply the aftermarket ..

Ive used pagid brake fluid its top spec as you expect from a world leading brake component supplier

Last edited by tiredted; Feb 20th, 2016 at 20:08.
tiredted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 20:15   #42
tiredted
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEKIZZLE View Post
I ordered the goodridge ones last week? Any comments?

These specifically - http://www.goodridge.co.uk/Car-Hose-...2004-451643991
Have tried goodridge hoses and they are doubtless very high quality components However i had to say i could not detect any difference in brake performance or pedal feel ..

The other point is a conventional hose can easily be visually inspected with a decent light for defects whereas with a braided hose this isn't the case .
tiredted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 20:22   #43
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
I know someone who took his recently purchased BMW for the MOT, although it passed the MOT, he did get an advisory, which said something like "non standard brake components fitted"
After an MOT station noting something like this I do wonder if an insurance company would class this as a modification to the car.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 20:51   #44
ilikewatch
Master Member

The first thing I'd do in this situation (instead of/as well as running to TS, Watchdog, etc.) would be to let the manufacturer know. I'm sure I remember (but could be wrong - getting old!) that when I first started lurking on this forum someone had an issue with some Mintex brake pads, let Mintex know and returned the faulty part, Mintex re-tooled and changed their manufacturing process as a result - win:win for both the consumer and the producer.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 21:04   #45
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

ilikewatch.

absolutely this will be my first point of contact for resolution. Just want to get the other ones off the motor as don't feel 100% safe with the other ones on.

unfortunately, a lot of companies are very quick to absolve themselves of any blame (fitment of the parts, brake fluid mixed as suggested) so need to make sure I have everything in place to prepare answers for their questions!

went to eurocarparts and actually opted for the ATE brake fluid as they had it for a very competitive price and have heard good things about their products. I know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover but the packaging for ATE products is very good (irrelevant I know but shows some effort has been made lol)

anyone else got any views on ATE DOT4 brake fluid?

James.

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 21:06   #46
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredted View Post
Have tried goodridge hoses and they are doubtless very high quality components However i had to say i could not detect any difference in brake performance or pedal feel ..

The other point is a conventional hose can easily be visually inspected with a decent light for defects whereas with a braided hose this isn't the case .
one of the reasons I went for HEL over goodridge is HEL is stainless whereas goodridge is only zinc I believe.

this is entirely irrelevant though if their products only last 4 months. At least a goodridge product might actually make it to the end of its life expectancy to actually rust hah.

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 23:47   #47
TEEKIZZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredted View Post

Thanks. I'm going to be running them on the rears. I have wilwood setup for the fronts coming soon that will be on Fragola braided lines and wanted to have the rears on stainless too.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 07:53   #48
Austin160
Master Member

Default Avoid HEL Brake hoses - New hoses burst.

I think ilikewatch has hit the nail on the head here, and it seems strange that Spetsnag Gsh agrees with him regarding first ports of call being to notify the manufacturer.
The response "absolutely..... will be" - obviously confirms they have not yet been notified, and the first port of call has been to (unfairly?) cut them out of the alert chain.
Appreciating the bit about gathering the evidence to present to get your money back, but at least notifying the supplier at the outset must be considered to be the most constructive way of going about things. We have now had a fair amount of water under the bridge since this was first posted, so the "absolutely .....will be..." gets somewhat diluted.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:06   #49
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Austin,

So I should phone them within 1 working day otherwise I am cutting them out of the chain. This is stupid !

This happened on Thursday, if I would have phoned yesterday, I would have made a plum out of myself. Emotions high, no garage report - it wouldn't be a constructive phone call for any party - unfortunately, this unconstructive nature of which I speak is what this thread is turning into with Certain posts here..

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 13:22   #50
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh View Post
Austin,

So I should phone them within 1 working day otherwise I am cutting them out of the chain. This is stupid !

This happened on Thursday, if I would have phoned yesterday, I would have made a plum out of myself. Emotions high, no garage report - it wouldn't be a constructive phone call for any party - unfortunately, this unconstructive nature of which I speak is what this thread is turning into with Certain posts here..
You could mention that the same thing happened to me, but the main problem I have is that I was "stupid" enough to fit them myself. And since I am unqualified to do it, they would automatically use that as an excuse to refuse any responsibility. I am not expecting my money back, or anything else and to be honest I couldn't care less, as I now feel a lot happier and safer with my standard Volvo brake hoses and after all, this is what matters the most

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: