Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo s40 slow acceleration / sluggish

Views : 15277

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 16:09   #41
hasitha

Default Crank Pulley OEM Number Please

hi guys,

Previously i mentioned that my tensioner was boucning up and down, which shared a video as well. ( I will attach the video here as well)[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8zmxiBVxZg[/YOUTUBE]

I tried changing the tensioner, in fact the on in the video is a brand new tensioner, however the bouncing is still going on. I carefully check if there is any pulley mis-alignment, and they all seem to align correctly.
Then I while i was checking today for few mins just staring at all the pulleys saw that the crank pulley has a very little wobble. its very little. Since the tensioner is new, it is trying the best to correct the error by bouncing around. when i accelerate the tensioner seems to not bounce and holds a steady position.
May be the inside of the CRANK PULLEY is damaged and it is what makes it wobble. Car has done 139,000 miles Only.

to replace the pulley cannot find it anywhere, as i live in sri lanka, i checked on ebay as well , yet coudn't find any listings.

Is there any online store that i can Purchase the crank Pulley?
And does anyone know the Renault OEM number for this Pulley

My vehicle is a 2001 Volvo s40 1.9 Turbo Diesel (D4192T3 engine)

YOUR HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED

THANKS
hasitha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hasitha For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 20:13   #42
rcruz

Hi,

this is the pulley for a car with AC. Does your car have AC?
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...shaft/1039442/

and here are the references:

Untitled.png

Last edited by rcruz; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 20:29.
rcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcruz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 20:53   #43
hasitha

Yes mine has AC. Thank you very much for replying and helping me out. I was searching the web and found out that the following Renault pulley might be the same as the volvo balancer. Can you please check.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291228257164?_mwBanner=1

And the part no. Is

Thank you in advance ..
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 21:35   #44
rcruz

Hi, I don't think that's a Volvo reference.
Although the Volvo D4192T3 and Renault F9Q are the same engine, some accessory parts might not match.
You need to know the pulley's specific features (dimensions, grooves, etc) so you can find a matching one.
You can start by checking if your original pulley has any product code engraved in it.
Cheers
rcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcruz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 14:01   #45
hasitha

Default New Turbo and what current situation

hi guys,

Here to update you all. Below i have mentioned the problems i had and the fixes which fixed my car (might not be the same with yours)

*** FOR POOR Acceleration, please read Point 3, or else you will get bored reading all these. and i still need your help, as the issue is not completely fixed.

Issue: Tensioner pulley was bouncing up and down
What Fixed mine :
Well, First i bought a new tensioner , and that didn't fix it, then i saw a little wobble in the Crank pulley and bought a new Crank Pulley It wasn't the problem. Checked the alternator pulley, when turned by hand there was no noise or tight spots, turned freely. However greased the inner bearings and it didn't solve either. And after couple of days driving. saw some metal filling on the alternator pulley. Quickly order a recon. alternator (8200162474). and Vola!! if fixed the head paining bounce which ruined couple of belts. Turning the Alternator pulley by hand doesn't always tell you if its bad. well that was the case in mine.

Issue : Low vacuum
Fix: Simply a correct recon vacuum pump.
However it took me a long time to figure out what was the correct vaccum pump for mine.
Previously My car had a Vacuum Pump with 721172200 (Pierburg) / 8200046841 Renault code ( thanks to rcruz for the info )
But as i mentioned my car got an Engine Head replaced, due to damaged valves because of broken serpentine belt pieces entering the timing belt cover and ruining timing.

So the New head we replaced ddnt come with a vaccum pump therefore we fitted the old 721172200 pump. and found out there was a small hole below the Vacuum pump which was open, and when we cranked, oil started pouring out. we blocked it by threading a bolt with loctite. But the car didn't produce any vacuum and the brakes were also hard. we blamed the old vacuum pump. And bought a recon Vac pump 721172200 . Fitted it and it was the same , no vacuum. Read many threads and searched google alot. Then finally found out that the " New Engine Head we replaced needs the Vacuum pump 72238908 ( Pierburg) / Renault No. 8200072985.

Because in our Earlier Engine Head, which was damaged due to bad timing. The camshaft drives the vacuum pump and also lubricated the pump with a small hole in the cam shaft.
However the " NEW Engine Head" cam shaft doesn't have a hole to lubricate the pump, it only drives the vac pump. Instead the small whole which was below the vacuum pump (which pumped out oil and we closed it with a bolt and loctite) is what lubricated the 72238908 vac pump, when fitted it cover the that hole and oil goes in to the vac pump and doesn't spill out.

*721172200 vacuum pump is lubricated by the cam shaft.
*72238908 vacuum pump is lubricated by a small hole on the right side of the Engine head.

Many might know the above thing, but i didn't know and neither did the mechanic who helped with the Engine head replacement.
*volvo 1.9 td's have both types of Engine heads, only difference is how the vac pump is lubricated. Without Lubrication the vac pump doesn't produce any vacuum.

Now the car has good vacuum.

3. ( the Reason this thread exist )
Issue: Very slow acceleration, takes forever and no boost.
Fix: Partially fixed.

If you have gone through the thread, i have done many checks and fixed many with your help.
I even posted the turbo actuator movement . And it was fine .
However 3 weeks ago. i had enough of being the slowest on the road. even though the turbo seemed to work well from the oustide and the actuator was free when moving. So removed the turbo and removed the exhaust side housing to access the vanes... and i was like, WHAAAAAAAATT?????
There were no Vanes. the turbine fin was there, but no vanes and the actuator was not connected to anything in the inside.. HAHAHA.. i was surprised and at the same time happy , since i thought i found the culprit behind Everything. Maybe the Previous owners mechanic had done it. But the previous owner didn't mention. Thought of calling him but then realized it might be a waste of time.
Therefore ordered a Brand new turbo and fitted it last week.
And with a big smile on my face , got in the car let it warm up. and then went for a ride. it was muuuuuuuuuccch better .. i mean felt awesome , but only after 2500 rpm. RPMS below 2500 the car still feels like there is no power. In second gear staring from 1200 rpms, the car slowly rev's until 2000 and can feel like the car is starting to boost and when it reaches 2500 rpms it suddenly starts running strong .

Has this happened to anyone ??? I actually read many threads on other TDI forums as well. and many who has had the same problem has not posted back, if it was fixed or not. Found a person has sold his Golf TDi because he couldn't find the fault.
If there is anyone who has faced this issue, or has any idea what it could be, please let me know what to check ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hasitha For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 16:32   #46
hasitha

Default After New Turbo

I have made a video explaining the current problem after fitting the Brand New Turbo.
Is this normal in an 2001 volvo s40 1.9 TD (t3 engine) ??
Please check the video
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/InW6Uz6i8pU[/YOUTUBE]
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 17:19   #47
ITSv40
VOC Member

Thanks for updating the thread and letting us know what the cures have been. So many come on here and ask for advice, which is freely given, but never have the good manners to either thank people or post an update.

Hope you get the poor performance sorted. I cannot help as I never go near dirty diesels. Good luck
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 19:31   #48
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Lack of boost can be a faulty or dirty MAF sensor.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 04:00   #49
hasitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Thanks for updating the thread and letting us know what the cures have been. So many come on here and ask for advice, which is freely given, but never have the good manners to either thank people or post an update.

Hope you get the poor performance sorted. I cannot help as I never go near dirty diesels. Good luck
Thanks ITSv40, many don't post back and that makes many threads useless. Im very happy to find this volvo forum since i gained lots of knowledge from the many who has replied in this tread. thank you all for that.

Thanks mate, i hope can fix it soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hasitha For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 04:39   #50
hasitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Lack of boost can be a faulty or dirty MAF sensor.
thanks bobthecabbage for replying. The car also had a MAF problem in the beginning. As the OBD2 scanner said it was faulty. However it was replaced with a brand new one few months back. However after mounting the New Turbo. and since the lack of boost was there i swapped the MAF of another s40 1.9Td T3 , but nothing changed.

Could it be the MAP?
No errors in the scanner though. and it sends a signal. when i connected the Multi-meter it gave out a signal. ( can't remember the exact numbers, did it few months ago before replacing turbo)

Could the EGR do this?
My EGR has been welded shut by the previous owner , so no exhaust gases are entering the intake. could it be the problem. I read that having a stuck ( which means EGR is always opened , and passes exhaust gases always to the Intake) EGR might caused these types of symptoms.
However figured buying a new EGR .
Will update soon. Meanwhile is there are any suggestions please let me know.

Tags
s40, slow, sluggish, volvo