Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pure Highway 300Di DAB, USB stereo upgrade

Views : 13889

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2014, 09:09   #41
calypsoe34
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadRob View Post
My local Volvo dealer quoted me £480 for the whole job. Is there something I'm missing? Or were they just trying to fleece me?

Anyone techs on here fancy earning £300?
I take it the £480 includes the actual unit?

I had the 300di in my previous car, and the local dealer will be fitting it in the V70 for me. The fitting kit cost me £31.53, and the aerial £20.00 as I couldn't re-use my old one. The dealer is charging me £78.50 plus VAT (£94.20) to fit it, so total cost excluding the unit itself is coming in at £145.73. You can buy the unit now for about £180, so that would be a total of £325.73 here.

Hope that helps!
Previous : 1997 S70 S 2.5 140BHP
calypsoe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calypsoe34 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 09:57   #42
Vainona70

The £480 quote is to high. I had the pure highway D300i Volvo kit supplied & fitted by Marshall Volvo Peterborough for £295 in December 2013 to my V70 D4 (MY2013).
Vainona70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vainona70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 10:23   #43
calypsoe34
VOC Member

Quote:
My local Volvo dealer quoted me £480 for the whole job. Is there something I'm missing? Or were they just trying to fleece me?

Rob - is it possible that your Main Dealer has quoted you for installing the OEM Volvo DAB unit, rather than the Pure Highway one? That would be a different kettle of fish altogether.
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 15:36   #44
calypsoe34
VOC Member

Well - Change of plan!

My local main dealer, Arnold Clark Volvo (yes, I know, I know!) from whom I purchased the car just over a week ago, had said they would fit the Pure Highway 300di for me at £78 plus VAT. I called them this morning to book the car in, and suggested a couple of convenient dates. I was told that I couldn't just book in - that because I had recently bought the car, the work must be carried out by the 'Sales Technician'. I asked what that was, and was told it was someone who deals only with Sales cars.

I explained that I wanted a Volvo technician, as they should know the car better than anyone else there, but no - rules are rules, apparently. I asked when I could book in - was told 'I don't know. I'll call you back'. He didn't. I called the salesman who sold me the car. He said this was ridiculous, to leave it with him. I had heard nothing over an hour later, so I called again. He said he was just about to speak to the technician, and would call me back. That was 11.45. It's 3.30 now.......zzzzzzzzzzz

They don't know yet obviously, but I drove down to Halfords at 2.00 and it took two minutes to get booked in with them. Recognised me straight away too, as they fitted this unit to my BMW before (and were very neat - I noticed that when removing the unit from the BMW).

So - Halfords will do the job - same fitter as last time - and will also fit my wired in charging cable for my TomTom. £45 all in, so half what Arnold Clark Volvo wanted.

Rant over!
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 18:32   #45
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

you are being fleeced, £295 is the volvo agreed national price for supply and fitting , report them!
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 19:52   #46
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoe34 View Post
Well - Change of plan!

My local main dealer, Arnold Clark Volvo (yes, I know, I know!) from whom I purchased the car just over a week ago, had said they would fit the Pure Highway 300di for me at £78 plus VAT. I called them this morning to book the car in, and suggested a couple of convenient dates. I was told that I couldn't just book in - that because I had recently bought the car, the work must be carried out by the 'Sales Technician'. I asked what that was, and was told it was someone who deals only with Sales cars.

I explained that I wanted a Volvo technician, as they should know the car better than anyone else there, but no - rules are rules, apparently. I asked when I could book in - was told 'I don't know. I'll call you back'. He didn't. I called the salesman who sold me the car. He said this was ridiculous, to leave it with him. I had heard nothing over an hour later, so I called again. He said he was just about to speak to the technician, and would call me back. That was 11.45. It's 3.30 now.......zzzzzzzzzzz

They don't know yet obviously, but I drove down to Halfords at 2.00 and it took two minutes to get booked in with them. Recognised me straight away too, as they fitted this unit to my BMW before (and were very neat - I noticed that when removing the unit from the BMW).

So - Halfords will do the job - same fitter as last time - and will also fit my wired in charging cable for my TomTom. £45 all in, so half what Arnold Clark Volvo wanted.

Rant over!
Hi Mark,

Oh dear looks like AC have shot themselves in the foot yet again - hope you get better err umm "service" when you put your car in for its first free service. What was it you said earlier in this thread "I think the key to dealing with Arnold Clark is not to have your expectations set too high." How true has that turned out to be and you've only had the car a week!! Let's see how they get on with the "I got 2 year's free servicing and MOTs as part of the deal anyway, so no worries for a while!".

"Bon Chance" as they say in France where I just happen to know a good Volvo dealer........

Grant
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 11:33   #47
BigBadRob
PieMaster

Quote:
Rob - is it possible that your Main Dealer has quoted you for installing the OEM Volvo DAB unit, rather than the Pure Highway one? That would be a different kettle of fish altogether.
No, that included them sourcing the Pure unit through Volvo. I even gave them the part number.

Quote:
Well - Change of plan!

I'm sure they will but I used to work for Halfords in Leicester (BikeHut, the respectable part) and I wouldn't let any of their knuckle draggers anywhere near my dashboard...again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you are being fleeced, £295 is the volvo agreed national price for supply and fitting , report them!
Thanks for that Clan.

It's Marshall Volvo in Melton Mowbray and they have it this morning for new front discs and pads (I could probably have done this myself but still in warranty, time tight, work busy, wedding coming up etc etc - too easy to drop it off to them) so when I head back over this afternoon I'll have a word about the cost and we'll see where we go from there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 20:30   #48
BMX Dad

Hi ... I test drove a V70 R-Design D5 today but was disappointed it didn't have DAB or Sat Nav

The lack of Sat Nav I can deal with as I usually know where I am going but I NEED Radio 6 and better Radio 5!!

I'm not a fan of having the Pure Unit hanging off the dashboard though .. is there a way it could go in the glovebox??

If there is I may just go and buy the car tomorrow!!

Cheers
BMX Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 20:43   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX Dad View Post
Hi ... I test drove a V70 R-Design D5 today but was disappointed it didn't have DAB or Sat Nav

The lack of Sat Nav I can deal with as I usually know where I am going but I NEED Radio 6 and better Radio 5!!

I'm not a fan of having the Pure Unit hanging off the dashboard though .. is there a way it could go in the glovebox??

If there is I may just go and buy the car tomorrow!!

Cheers
The Pure controller is quite small,neat and attractive with it's O-LED display , yes you can put it in the glovebox , but you cant control it when driving ..( except for the volume ) It has USB/i-Pod/aux connections too .
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 08:43   #50
calypsoe34
VOC Member

I had mine fitted by Halfords some time ago now using an OEM Volvo fitting kit, and it's been great. Putting it in the glove box is doable, but daft, as you couldn't change channels while driving. It's fine on the dash - you get used to it.

Have you checked with the dealer to see if the car you are looking at is pre-wired for the official Volvo DAB? If it is, that would be the way I would go.

As for Sat Nav - I have a TomTom that sits on the windscreen to the right of the steering wheel. Halfords chappie put a charging lead there which goes behind the dash and underneath to the fuse box, so it's on when the car is running. Keeps the unit charged without the need for wires running to the cigar lighter socket. It works very well.